Budget Speed

Looool omg the moment I saw “big straight six” I knew what you were up to. How much you getting outta that thing? 450hp?

(Seriously I went pretty mild on my not-Miata.)

[quote=“Chipskate”]Good thing you got the rules cleared up, was a little worried my car would be a wasted effort.
Speaking of which, here’s mine:

Mine’s also a not-Miata build, although it’s quite different from strop’s. Instead of a turbocharged inline-four it’s got the biggest N/A straight-six I could fit under the bonnet. It’s loud, likes to go sideways and has no electronic training wheels or much of any safety features either, for that matter. If you haven’t guessed which company’s cars I’m trying to emulate, the fact that it’s called “The Trevor” should be enough of a clue :wink:[/quote]

Trevor as in the GTA V character? :laughing:

I really want to copy that rear end. :neutral_face:

This is basically the problem.

One definition of “sport compact” is “a compact-sized, sporty car”, which is what the name means to you. Another is basically “a sporty version of a compact car”, which is probably the one most people in European markets would use; according to European classification all the cars you’ve listed fit under the “sports car” umbrella, and are therefore not “compact cars” (alternatively known as “small family car”).

I don’t actually have a problem with being asked to build a small, light, RWD car. I like said cars, and I would like to own one; I justed want everybody on the same page when it comes to what “sport compact” actually means as far as this competition goes, because you had half the thread thinking about MX-5s and the other half about FWD hatchbacks, and both groups were right.

[quote=“Sayonara”]

This is basically the problem.

One definition of “sport compact” is “a compact-sized, sporty car”, which is what the name means to you. Another is basically “a sporty version of a compact car”, which is probably the one most people in European markets would use; according to European classification all the cars you’ve listed fit under the “sports car” umbrella, and are therefore not “compact cars” (alternatively known as “small family car”).

I don’t actually have a problem with being asked to build a small, light, RWD car. I like said cars, and I would like to own one; I justed want everybody on the same page when it comes to what “sport compact” actually means as far as this competition goes, because you had half the thread thinking about MX-5s and the other half about FWD hatchbacks, and both groups were right.[/quote]

Both groups were right, and both are indeed sport compacts in my mind. I simply decided to focus on the RWD spectrum for this round.

[quote=“strop”]Looool omg the moment I saw “big straight six” I knew what you were up to. How much you getting outta that thing? 450hp?

(Seriously I went pretty mild on my not-Miata.)[/quote]

Unfortunately it’s not quite as fun as you’re making it out to be :wink: . The “biggest straight-six that would fit under the bonnet” happened to be about 2.9 liters (ugh why can’t we morph engine bays?). I could size it up by making it more undersquare, but not without sacrificing a ton of reliability. It’s still makes more than 100 hp/litre though, and since the body is made out of old soda bottles and milk jugs the power to weight-ratio isn’t too bad either.

[quote=“TofuWarrior”]
Trevor as in the GTA V character? :laughing:

I really want to copy that rear end. :neutral_face:[/quote]

Think “small British sports car manufactuer” and I think the penny should drop.

Btw, are there any restrictions on revisions? I’ve already sent in my car, but there’s a few things I might want to change. Would it be OK to send in an updated version, or is it one PM per person?

runs in terror

Now as you might expect, I’ve done this properly.
A tough rugged steel frame with aluminum paneling this is the Marauder, my work in progress muscle car i dreamed up on my company page, it just so happened that I’d designed the 93 model today so I thought “hey why not enter it here”. Updated to 2015 this car still has all it’s standard creature comforts, including the popular sunroof. While not a offered trim package, this modified version is still a perfectly suitable daily driver, with both an engine and overall reliability above 70. I thought it would be a fun challenge to keep one of it’s stock power plants so I tuned up the base model’s 3.8 liter OHV MPFI inline 6 which is still running on premium gas… with 1 or 2 modifications, like all aluminum construction for weight savings, variable valve timing for economy, and a intercooled turbocharger for that little extra something.

[quote=“TofuWarrior”]

Here’s a hint TreVoR :wink:

So… I’ve flown over the discussion here… Hoping it was at least fruitful.

However, I am at a loss now… I’ve sent my car in a week ago, I did put some effort into the styling at least… but no response, I don’t show up in the list of accepted cars… so… uh… What?

TVR. Oh wow, now I feel stupid :laughing:

And to clarify Vrooms question, yes, I have forgotten to update the OP in the midst of life complications. Rest assured, i have all your entries and they will be brought into the test track tomorrow.

How the comparison is going?

groan Everything is happening at once… I’ll try to finish the scoring, but at this point there’s not much I can promise at this crazy point… ughhhghhdoifiosdfnhoafhaosdo