Car of the Year 2013 (RESULTS ARE IN!)

I died :mrgreen:

nice car !

Hi everyone,

Been so busy with the holiday season and exams(Who the heck decided to put exams in early January!?!) that I’ve forgot all about this.
I’ll be going trough the submissions ASAP, and will post again when I have reached a verdict.

The time has come to start declaring the winners have come at last! I will start of by listing my evaluations of the contenders, and then the final winner at the end.
Once again, appologies for the delay. I do hope to make this a yearly event, and things should be smoother now that we’re done with the first and have some experience to build on.

I would greatly appreciate if you could take your time to post feedback in the thread, if you would want to enter for any future contests or help organize and judge in them, what you’d like to see changed etc. etc.

So, without further delay, let’s get to it. In order of entry, the contestants!

[size=150]Phoenix Motor Firebird[/size]
As an excersize in engineering and performance few can oppose the 2013 Firebird from Phoenix Motors. It wades into battle with a choice of two engines, a 3.1 litre turbo-four and a 5.0 litre V8.
Both engines offer similar peak performance numbers, but the way they are delivered couldn’t be more different. While the V8 surges foreward on a smooth wave of tourque to it’s peak power of 662 horsepower at 7700 RPM, the turbo-four hits you in the back like a charging rhino. The turbo-spike is noticeable, and with a front-heavy but rear-drive configuration, downright dangerous provided if you’re not alert at all times.

While the performance is very much outrageous, the design is less so. A clean and practical, but un-engaging throw-back to the Japanese super-coupes of the 90’s.
The biggest weakness of the Firebird however isn’t its waywardness or the dated design, but what kind of fuel it runs on. A necessity of 100-octane racing fuel will make using it as anything else than a sunday track toy a costly excersize.

Note: I did not specify the octane limits for the competition, as that is something I wanted to leave to the designers depending on the type of vehicle. An american commuter for example shouldn’t have more than 92, while an exotic supercar won’t get points detracted for 98 premium.

[size=150]Legatum Automobili Thera[/size]
Passion, flair and panache. Cars like the Thera is best described using all those words that have become a motoring cliche when used on Italian sports cars.
It rightfully deserves them however. Classifying the Thera as a high-end sports car may be correct, but in many ways it feels more like a budget supercar.
This combination of an exquisite body draped over a capable performance chassis has stolen the heart of motoring journalists world over.

There is also a solid dose of engineering know-how and efficency involved as well. Despite screaming to 100 km/h in a smidge under four seconds and obliterating the quarter mile in 12.3 at 184 km/h, it achieves class-leading fuel economy, powered by a relatively tiny 2.8 litre V8 producing “only” 352 horsepower. The secret? Low weight and awd.

[size=150]Genia Blaze[/size]
Coming in after two hyper-performance vehicles might seem to put the Genia Blaze at a serious disadvantage when it is to be scrutinied by spoiled motoring journalists.
However, even in this company the little hatchback proves it deserves recognition. Pre-productions tests have shown the drivetrain to be dead-reliable, the engine barely sips fuel and emits hybrid-challenging amounts of CO2.
The engine feels plenty grunty enough for such a light vehicle, and despite the peak power being inaccessibly high the torque curve is as flat as Denmark. So you never really need to rev it high to get going.

Wrapped in a cleanly designed body and sold at a bargain price, even if the Thera doesn’t win the prize for best car of 2013, it is surely to become a best-seller.

[size=150]Legatum Automobili Fuji ECO[/size]
The second entry from Legatum Automobili is distinctively different from the Thera. Despite a fairly aggressive design with double exhaust in the back and large intakes in front hexagonal mesh, it is a compact hatch with eco-pretentions. And that’s something it excels at.

But as far as emissions and fuel economy goes however, it is beaten by the Genia Blaze despite it’s smaller, turbo-charged engine. The rival also eclipses it on the raw performance numbers, trough the slight turbo-spike and marginally lighter chassis should leave the Fuji the more engaging choice for a windy backroad.

[size=150]FMC Hunter[/size]
One of only two sedans in this years competition, the Hunter aims squarely at the budget bracket of the class.
Powered by a low-pressure turbocharged 1.8 I-4, the Hunter feels somewhat sluggish, something the performance tests results back up. The engine also produces a knocking sound at certain parts of the rev-range, remiscent of a diesel engine. The reliabilty doesn’t seem to suffer as a consequence however, as tests show it to be in the same ballpark as its competitors.

The exterior is very much form following function, and despite the bland design it have contains several practical solutions that families are sure to appreciate.

[size=150]KD14 Class 3[/size] (name from the pics, tell me if you want it changed.)
If the Hunter is economy class the Class 3 is economy plus, and evidence that you don’t need to shell out a lot of cash to get an attractive family sedan that is reliable, nice to drive and gives off little in the way of emissions. The 1.6 turbo I-4 needs a little bit of revving to get the job done, but once past 2,500 RPM it really starts to shift and pushes the 1,400 kg sedan to 100km/h in 8.7 seconds.

It doesn’t look half bad either. While the front fascia might not be everyones cup of tea, the rear and overall design feels crisp and coherrent.

[size=150]Cossack Autos 2200 CTE[/size]
One of the defining factors of a hot hatch is subtle alterations to the vehicles body to make it appear sportier.
Appearantly, Cossack Autos didn’t get the memo on the “subtle” parts. The 2200 CTE have more grilles and scoops than a cheese grater, and screams out its sporting credentials from every direction you look at it.
There’s however more to it than just its flamboyant looks. A beastly 2.2 turbo I-4 provides ample motivation for foreward movement, provided you can handle the violent torque-steer. An AWD-version is also available, and should make the vehicle more manageable.

Despite its flaws, one can’t help but grin as one bang it trough the slick 6-speed manual and throw it trough corners with reckless abandon. A welcome relief from the more clinical hot hatches of recent years, the 2200 CTE is a car built by hooligans, for hooligans, and we love it for it.

With all the contestants evaluated and presented, the time has come to reveal the victor. The champion that will win the very prestigious(lol) award for Car of the Year!
There were many strong contenders, but in the end, there can only be one winner.

The Legatum Automobili Thera!

What impressed me the most about the Thera at first glance was the design. While busy and odd from some angles, it flows well overall, has a lot of interesting and creative part usage, and it has the nices rear I’ve ever seen on a Automation car.
It’s good the rear is nice to, because with the kind of performance numbers it’s what most people will ever see. Despite its performance however, its relatively economic and reliable, and the service costs are acceptable for a vehicle in this class.

A worthy winner, and I look foreward to seeing what else Legatum Automobili may come up with in the future.

Thank you everyone for participating. I did my best to be as fair and un-biased as possible in my judgement, but if you feel like you’ve been treated unfairly, give me a shout. I don’t want to traumatize anyone from giving it a go next year! :slight_smile:

Awesome. Enjoyable read :slight_smile:

And I’ll just say you’ve made it just in time. We are already testing RC builds and the new builds are incompatible with old everything.

nooooooo! We gonna loose everything again? :frowning:

Yes, and this will not be the last time. I find it astonishing how people are expecting to keep engines and models, considering the game is anything but done. Isn’t that a given? (Honest question, I really don’t understand where this is coming from.)

tbh I expected it but didnt want to accept it. I only have 1 model I really want to keep anyway so I can jsut take down the engine details and go from there. It’ll be good to help decluttering though too as I have way too much engine designs anyway. Half of which I dont use for models haha.

Change is good when its related to progress. Bring it on! :slight_smile: