I made a car using the sedan version of this, specs are as following:
Year 2016
Monocoque chassis
AHS steel frame
Partial aluminum body panels
Mac pherson front
Double wishbone rear
FWD
Engine weighs 104.3 kg (2.0L DOHC 16V DI)
6 speed torque converter automatic (quality +5)
17 inch alloy 205/50 front and rear
Standard interior, standard entertainment (PS, ABS, TC, ESC), standard safety

Lengthened the body to 4.55 meters long and the car already weighs 1330 kg. At 4.44 meters is already at 1319.1 kg

Compared to real life equivalent:
Civic 4.631 meters: 1,244–1,326 kg
Cruze 4,567 meters: 1,195–1,300 kg
Mazda 3 4,580 meters: 1,244–1,326
Corolla 4,620 meters: 1,245–1,300 kg

Real life equivalent are apparently longer but lighter. Am I missing something or are they not in the same class as the model I choose?

If I understand correctly; that is a BMW 1 Series type body, and the base model (1.6L turbo) of that weighs 1,360kg with a length of 4,324mm; so she is a tad heavier in reality than the cars that you have listed.

KA24DE is right. the full IRL weight ranges up to1700kg +when considering the 2 series convertibles and the coupe ranges from about 1415kg to 1560kg. If a real 4 door existed it would most likely be a bit heavier.

1 Like

Well if it is based on BMW 1 series, it makes sense since it is a premium car so it should be heavier.

What is this little weird car based on?

With exactly same spec as my previous build; at 4.44 meters long, it weighs 1385.3 kg!

So currently there is no matching body type for those real life equivalent standard/budget cars?

Uh… mini 1st gen Jaguar XF? Not sure on that one.

Weights won’t be exactly 1 to 1 to reality for a multitude of factors.
+/- 50 to 75 kilos seems reasonable to me; considering how widely real car weights vary from model to model.

I do wish we had some way of influencing a car body’s weight besides material choices though… maybe a body-work thickness slider or something like that, that would affect weight, prestige, stiffness, and safety.

2 Likes

Being premium isn’t in any way (other than simply the size) influenced by the body. I’ve once created dirt cheap hatchback on this not-1-series.

And as KA24DE writes, so small differences aren’t really surprising.

1 Like

Quality Slider on the 1st body tab has some effect, I built a quick 2006 car based on the shrunken XF and with all sliders at 0 It weighed 1230kg. Reducing the quality down to -6 made it 1207kg.

see below

3 Likes

True; I forgot about the that particular slider because of the (unacceptable to me) reliability hit.

1 Like

Same. I didn’t mess around with that slider because of the severe reliability penalty to get the weight I’m targeting.