Cool Wall Six (Final round done)

The idea is, the challenge is so open right now that you could make “anything”
The cool wall is there to narrow down what would be ideal for the customer, it doesn’t matter if it’s too expensive, since it’s purely based on “is this cool”

All the pictures will be placed onto the wall by the host, and the participants of the challenge have a better idea of what to make and what not to make.

8 Likes

My suggestions for the Cool Wall this time are as follows:

1995 BMW M3 E36

1995 Mazda RX-7 FD

2006 Porsche Cayman S

2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06

2008 Jaguar XKR X150

6 Likes

Here’s whats running in my head right now…

Ford Probe GT

Mazda 929 HB Coupe
images (9) (29)

Mitsubishi Delica Starwagon L300
images (9) (28)

Renault Espace II

Chevrolet K1500 Blazer

7 Likes

This is what I got

1. 1999 Subaru Impreza Casa Blanca

2. 2004 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

3. 2003 Toyota MR-2 Spyder

4. 2004 Fiat Stilo Abarth

5 Likes

I’ll throw 3 in there as of now.

1. 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

1. 1995 BMW 850CSi

1. 1975 Daimler Double Six Coupe

6 Likes

me fogor konthing :upside_down_face:

Three entrants into the cool wall:

1969 - 1973 Nissan Fairlady Z/Datsun 240Z

1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5 16v
1990_190E_2.5-16

1973 - 1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint

7 Likes

Now that I’ve submitted my Cool Wall submissions, I’m starting to think about repurposing one of my ZERC entries for this challenge.

As an alternative, I could convert my test mule for a larger V12 grand tourer into a full-fledged entry instead, but I’d sacrifice some sportiness, reliability, and economy in favor of improved drivability and comfort. That said, I was able to squeeze 80(!) drivability and 55 comfort out of that one.

I also came up with a third option in the form of a lightweight I6 sports coupe that trades comfort and drivability for a huge dose of sportiness - a heart-over-head choice whereas the big V12 coupe is the polar opposite (and the slower of my two ZERC entries occupies a nice middle ground).

Them

Alpine GTA V6 GT - 1988

Toyota Celica GT-Four - 1997

Volkswagen Eos - 2007

Renault Megane RS 250 - 2011

Suzuki Jimny - 2019

9 Likes

2000 Audi A2 3L

1976 VAZ-2106

1993 Fiat Coupé

1989 Nissan S-Cargo

2005 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

6 Likes
  1. 1984 Ford Mustang SVO
  2. 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type M (R32)
  3. 2015 Ford Focus ST
5 Likes

So if a car has no 3D interior, is it assumed to be RHD?

I can’t speak for the host, but if you’re going no interior I would at least make sure the windshield wipers are facing the correct way.

4 Likes

To that end, the tips of the wipers should face left if the steering wheel is on the right, and vice versa.

It does not really matter. I did a lot of research on the subject for previous challenges, mostly styling. Regulations are all about total wiped area/area wiped in front of the driver. There are tons of different wiper configs, especially with older cars, and there is no consensus. There are 3 wipers, 2 wipers, single wiper, staggered swipe, opposite wipes, etc. Ideally you’d want to keep one wiper config for all markets that satisfy regulation, and not move pivot points between LHD/RHD, but it still is all over the place. So not a good indication of LHD vs RHD at all.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a fair point tbh, plenty of french cars had the rhd wipers the wrong way round. Wish there was a better way to show it really. I’ll scrub that rule out since it actually penalises people who would make an interior.

i’ve changed a few rules slightly, i’ve added them to the changelog but also here is the changes again

• Total techpool is now $65m as I felt the original was too generous

• Safety is now five points not ten

• Purchase price is ten points not five

• removed the lhd penalty as in the end it’s hard to police this

• Budget is the same but I have flattened out the percentages and added jumps for cars in 2005 and 1982 to compensate for the clean air zone charge.

2 Likes

I managed to adapt my repurposed ZERC entry to the new ruleset without much trouble - the stats obviously took a hit but it’s not too serious. Then again, a combined total techpool cost of $90m would have been way too high to be as realistic as I was hoping for anyway.

After examining the new yearly price caps, I’ve realized it’s also a matter of price weighed up against reliability - newer cars tend to be more reliable, but you’ll have a smaller budget, whereas older, less reliable cars can get away with costing more (within reason), up to a point (although pre-1982 cars are CAZ exempt, as are all Euro 4/WES10 and Euro 5/WES11 cars).

Hold on, “coolness” (the cool wall) is completely independent from all other stats right?

Yeah, just because a car does well on “coolness” it doesn’t necessarily mean it’d actually be the right car for the buyer.

2 Likes