CSR 133 - Missing Detective Prologue [Investigation Over]

Right, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility for what was given that Jaguar had done it shortly after 1959. $20k is modern Aston money, so it’s pretty believable. If anything, being able to fit all of that, at that price, within the very tight ET restricions, it should be seen as a massive pro rather than a con. You wanted a domestic sports car so I made one under a fancy British guise and got you-know-whatted for it.

Looking back on it, no it’s not the most realistic choice and I should’ve gone with a coil spring live rear end or something, but I certainly don’t see it as binworthy. I kinda disagree with that logic, but it’s your round and it’s going well other than that so oh well. :))

2 Likes

As I have mentioned before, people from a police background have their own rather unique desires and needs, which is definitely what drove the realism bins. However, I think Yuri’s done a massive disservice by not emphasizing these points, such as ease of service, durability, familiarity, and availability, concerns which would have weeded out the unrealistic cars (or just simply not as suitable cars) with a lot more ease and immersion.

For example, it is commonly recognized that body on frame cars a significantly easier to repair than monocoque cars, same applies to solid axles compared to irs, and drums compared to discs. And the familiarity part definately favors OHV engines over other valvetrains. Plus, with auto lockers, you can simply argue that they’re not as predictable on a winding road.

2 Likes

I was too late to partake in this round but that part about Auto Lockers really makes sense, I can imagine going around a corner at speed and the diff suddenly deciding “nope, not today” and then flying headlong into a hedge.

1 Like

I would disagree with the use of ‘massive disservice’. Could a stronger emphasis be put on the fact that the cars had to be realistic? Yes, it could have. But with a five-star priority on realism and period-correctness, two guides linked which detail how old American cars functioned, mandatory cross ply and so on, isn’t it already dead obvious that this brief isn’t looking for a minmaxed proto-Corvette where you put an offroad locker on it because wheelspin is hard?
And then there’s the OHC debacle. It takes a short look through Wikipedia to find that in the 1950s, the United States was the only country using V8 engines at all in any kind of mass production, apart from BMW - both the US manufacturers and BMW used OHV (pushrod) valvetrains. A mass-produced OHC V8 (And yes, it was direct-acting if I’m not mistaken EDIT: It did use rocker arms like a SOHC, but the valves are placed lengthwise like in OHV and DaOHC.) finally popped up in Europe in 1964… On the Mercedes-Benz 600, the literal most expensive car on the planet. Yes, DaOHC has a stupid small ET. No, that’s not an excuse. Even the guides say very clearly that we all used pushrods all the way in the 60s.
Honestly, and this goes double for the folks who built British-style cars, straight-sixes were in fact a thing in the USDM, and those were much more prone to having more interesting valvetrains. Any exceptions were either hand-build cars of massive price, or race cars. Hell, Jag was selling i6 DOHCs in the US all across the 1950s. If there’s anything that could have done differently, it’s raising the ET limit to 85 so that the V8s could get proper exhausts and carburetion without negaquality, and the i6s could use any valvetrain they needed.

10 Likes

████████

████████████

ksh kmzi qi wxvirklx

ucr uwjs as ghfsbuvh

sap suhq yq efdqzstf

aix acpy gy mnlyhabn

qyn qsfo wo cdboxqrd

owl oqdm um abzmvopb

wet wylu cu ijhudwxj

1959 ZKF Z500 GT

@BannedbyAndroid
Instabinned for monocoque chassis.

1955 Suisei Yuyake GT

@Falling_Comet
Instabinned for going over engine ET.

The other last few bins were caused by a change in the game.

Retracted.

Misericordiae Dei.

10 Likes

wait wait wait did the new update change anything regarding the engineering or stats? Something seems off

1 Like

Is that just “god give me strenght” 7 times over?

3 Likes

I can count 3, one cleverly hidden in Latin. Where are the other 4?
EDIT: nvm its in the drop-down

Really, I’m pretty sure it is not you.

I went back to the non-OB branch and my car is dead on ET 65 on the trim. Then load back the latest Open Beta and it is indeed 68.8. I submitted on the 15th, a day before the latest patch on Feb 16th, and since I am 100% sure I checked the ET before submitting (I keep a separate checklist now), I would say the latest patch changed some ET formula. Engine kept it’s correct ET, so I guess some car component changed.

So, yeah, not you. It sucks that I submitted early on the 15th tho, I would have adjusted. Guess those are the risks with using the open beta.

3 Likes

Open beta has reduced engine bay sizes vertically. This has increased engine bay fill factor, a direct contributor to trim ET. Most of us left no extra trim ET at all because the budget is tight. If these people submitted before 4.1.17, I might implore you to give them a second chance.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s gotta be that. I was dead sure that my ET was 64 and change on the 14th when I sent in my car. This CSR has had its goalposts bent by the game one day before the deadline.

3 Likes

The first round of bins has reduced the size of the field by around half… and despite the delay in preliminary results, I’m confident that this CSR will eventually crown a worthy winner from whatever finalists make it past the first round of proper judging. Fingers crossed.

Round 1 Post-Instabin Eliminations

████████████

Grace was awoken by the sound of plates clanking around as the table was being prepared. She opened her eyes and found the Detective had awoken. All dressed up, and seemingly ready to go.

“Good morning, Dear.” ███ greeted politely. “What’s for breakfast?”

Grace sat up and stretched her arms, then standing up and answering back. “I ordered takeout, Northern Kipper, as we always like it. It’s on the counter if you hadn’t noticed.”

She walked over to the counter, the food was still relatively warm in its little takeout box. She glanced over at the clock, half an hour had barely passed.

“Shall we eat then?” Asked the Detective. With a nod, they got to their places and ate breakfast, and starting conversations.

“Say, ███…”

“Yes, Grace?”

“I’ve always wondered how you and Kristina had met? You two were already on good terms before we got together, and so…”

The Detective paused ███ meal, and took a deep sigh as ███ remembered past events.

“Well…”

“If you don’t want to talk about it, that’s fine wi-”

“No, no, it’s fine.” The Detective cut her off, before taking a deep breath and a sip of water.

“So it was back in the war… fourty…█████ I think it was? I just got fresh out of college, I was ██████ at that time… I think you were still a little girl by then?” ███ gave a small chuckle.

“fourty-█████? Certainly was! Go on!”

“Right, the Army was getting pretty desperate with the war effort. The Battle of Gernau I believed it was, probably their last major victory over the Allies… Really pushed Gasmea more into the war.”

There was another pause until the Detective continued.

“Anyway, got drafted in that year. They assigned me to the front-lines almost immediately for god knows what reason. The following year, I was one of the mechanics working on this new rocket launcher of theirs, we called it the Calliope since it looked like one.” The Detective chuckled again at the memory.

“Yeah, so we were on the frontlines, I was in one of the hangars working on this tank, it had been battered quite hard despite being only a test unit. And all of a sudden, there was this surprise attack from one of those wolf pack things, or whatever the Reich called em’. I just took cover behind the tank I was working on, praying to Pipegod that reinforcements would come around eventually. And they did, they weren’t external reinforcements like I expected, but they were either way.”

███ sighed at the memory.

“Well, anyway reinforcements came, and there she was. Kristina and her tank crew, boy was she a hottie back then. She apparently defected from the Hetvesian front, was formerly an intelligence officer for the Reich. Something apparently resonated in her when she saw those poor poor folks getting ██████. Fearless girl, later down the line when we’d serve together, she wouldn’t hesitate to save someone else’s life, even if it’d put her own at risk. It’s like she’d fallen in love with Death and has zero fear of it. Complete acceptance. Yeah, that’s the story basically, she saved my life and many others as well, and so I owed her quite a bit.”

Grace stared at the Detective in awe for a moment.

“I-I see… You really went through that huh?” She herself sighed this time, before reaching out to cup the Detective’s cheek.

“I guess I should thank her a lot more, because if it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t have you right now would I?” She smiled warmly at the Detective, a slight anxiety was visible in her eyes.

After the meal, they got prepared and took the train to ██████, where the MotorEX event would be happening.

As they boarded the train and awaited, a pair of figures went aboard too, sitting nearby the couple, but not too close as to bring too much attention to them.

Draped in a black and beige cloak, they began conversing quietly with one another before the train started. They spoke in a language more akin to Hetvesian, yet still relatively unfamiliar.

“Nxy xnj anjqqjnhmy injojsnlj, ats ijw zsx Ufyjw Rfyymfzx jwefmqy mfy?

Du, xum cmn mcy. Xcy vymwbcwbnyny Zluo gcn xyh eoltyh Buulyh. Hilgufylqycmy mcybn guh mcy gcn ychyg Bon.

Xnhm zsfzkkfqqnl ez ajwmfqyjs, nxy ats lwtxxyjw Bnhmynlpjny.

Qyhh mcy ym byluomzchxyn, qclx Punyl ym qcmmyh. Xcy Ivyljlcymnylch qclx ym ylzublyh.

Ns ijw Yfy, bnw btqqjs zsxjwj Xjlszsljs ats █████ snhmy ajwqnjwjs.

Pro eo.

Pro eo, Ns ijw yfy.”

Once the train eventually got going, the clanging of the old locomotive drowned out whatever attempt at a conversation could’ve been made.

In this part of Gasmea, the railroad infrastructure, while old and fairly outdated, was surprisingly still largely in use. The train was crowded as usual, on a Saturday.

After quite the long ride, made longer by the harsh ride of an old locomotive, they had eventually made it to ██████, a larger town which housed the event.
After a taxi ride to the area, and some waiting later, the event eventually was opened.

A dazzling trio of Sea Vixen jets of the Gasmean Navy flew overhead as an opening prelude.

Following that and entering the event, a surrounding of vehicles from many different Nationalities, specifications, manufacturers came into view, music filled the air, salesmen and glamour models all around ready to exclaim the best about the cars they are advertising.
Paparazzi and the local press all around, snapping photographs ready to place in their articles. Such was the MotorEX event, and this year was bigger than ever it seemed.

Contra Montego

@Spot
Among the first vehicles they came across was this rather plain looking coupe.
Draped in a dark green, it wasn’t really enough to catch the Detective’s eyes and thus almost went unnoticed until Grace pointed it out.

“Well I will say, there’s not a lot that’s special about it, is there?” The Detective said as they moved along.

While it had good stats, the looks of the car were unfortunately just not enough to warrant it going any further. Power was also really down on this one at only 139hp.

Anhultz Dione IV B

@Elizipeazie
The second car was this rather eye catching sedan, though really only eye catching thanks to its bright orange paint scheme. Grace somehow immediately recognized the vehicle, and began pointing out some parts of it to the Detective.

“Oh, you should see this one! It’s fairly large, and its probably got enough grunt for you to enjoy with its ninety three cubic inch straight si-”

And before she could continue, the Detective had cut her off; “Okay, that’s pretty small, not exactly interested there. Take note of that for later.”
Probably should’ve been instabinned. I thought it could be relatively fine for the market once I put it into the spreadsheet, I just realized how small that engine actually is.

GMI 370 Arrow

@LinkLuke
Another car that caught their attention, this black and red sedan was not exactly to the Detective’s tastes, with its two tone paintjob going, places… Its front fascia also being rather unsettling to look at too.

“Maybe we should… Go look someplace else.”

You can expect this to continue for the other bins, a lot of these cars were just too undetailed for my liking. As for this one, the overall looks of it just threw me off. Specifications wise, it had among the lowest reliabilities of the bunch at 53.2, as well as being the most expensive to maintain at $1317. Also had one of the lowest MPGs at 7.8

Chungus Lagomor Sprint

@SenseiB12
The couple went towards the Chungus display.
They found themselves looking at a rather large, but somewhat unexciting-looking coupe. It’s maroon and white paintscheme as well as its aggressive fender flares not really doing the fairly bland front fascia any favours here.

The looks for this car were relatively okay, but the fender flares were just odd and the front fascia was rather basic. The stats were good with it being the among the most reliable of the bunch at 64.1, and was among the largest too, but it was just a tad expensive over other offerings which were cheaper and delivered just as much performance.

Watson Ariesa Coupe

@Arn38fr
The two then approached the area where Watson displayed their cars, among them was this incredibly large sedan.
“Wow… Large!” Grace exclaimed as the Detective looked around it more, the size definitely felt like something they would’ve liked, but unfortunately the front just seemed a little too blank for something they would want.
“If this is the way car design would be going, I honestly would prefer to stay in the past.”

Gorgeous interior, but I won’t really care about that if the exterior looks more on the “eh” side with a basic front fascia that doesn’t really look like it’s from any era. The rear was fine but still relatively bland. As for stats, holy jesus man 7.4 MPG, and it weighs as much as an IFV, and thanks to that immense weight, performance and driveability (22.1) really suffered.

Franklin Hydra

@Jaimz
They then came along to this one area which featured this rather blank looking coupe. The body was smooth and aerodynamic but relatively under-designed. Which already was enough to turn the Detective away before Grace could start going on about what she knows about their ownership and maintenance fees.

I honestly don’t know what to say about its design, the rear is just plain and the front is rather… I literally don’t know…
Also, the offset is too wide on it as well.
As for stats those service costs are pretty darn absurd at $1358, and the reliability of 51.5 didn’t help it either…

Markley Gallivanter

@Maverick74
Shortly after, the two went along and had somehow stumbled upon a display of some fleet-oriented vehicles. They were approached by a couple of salesmen who constantly went along with how these cars would be great for police sales and whatnot.

Why does this not have a radio? I never asked for fleet-spec cars, did I? And considering it doesn’t look like one either is odd.

Bogliq Belfast

@HighOctaneLove
It continued up to the Bogliq stand, where they were approached by multiple salesmen yet again going on about their cars and their reliability and greatness for fleet usage.
At last, the Detective declined all of them at once and the two went on towards… Something not fleet oriented.

Another one without a radio. Just why?

Angus Sprint 292

@karhgath
Approaching what looks to be a normal but somewhat under detailed looking coupe, the two found themselves in front of an Angus Sprint 292.
Nothing exactly stood out to the Detective about this car, and ███ just looked at it for a moment, trying to find something to perhaps make it a bit more interesting but alas, ███ and Grace just walked away.

Yeah, another one with uninteresting looks. Not much else to comment about on the stats side either, being fairly pricey but overall just… average?

Bailey Kingsley TC

@Stryder237
Approaching this more ██████ manufacturers’ area, the Bailey Kingsley was up next, with the presenter of the area going on and on about its special overhead cam straight six engine, which after being given power and acceleration figures, was enough to turn the Detective away, not even counting its rather incoherent looks.

Very slow and not really that good looking. And despite the space age SOHC I6, performance is still incredibly sluggish. Also fairly min-max-y since I’m pretty sure overhead cam designs of the era were never as cheap to service as this one.

Propeller Amerika

@Mikonp7
They came upon a somewhat uninteresting silver roadster of rather interesting origin. Upon seeing its price tag however, they were not hesitant to turn away, especially not after hearing more about this vehicle’s other specifications…

Looks are, well… I dunno… Not to my (or rather, the Detective’s) tastes. Also very expensive at $20,600. Not rule breaking but hellishly expensive over the other offerings. Also second highest service costs at $1514.

Pro eo.

28 Likes

Round 2 Final Eliminations

████████████

The two took a break from going around the event. To their luck, they heard among the crowd that there was a makeshift eating area within the event, and so for lunch, they decided to head towards there to see what potentially could be awaiting them.

Walking over to the area, they were surprised to find an abundance of food being prepared by chefs hired for the event. One could almost call it a buffet.

The meal was free so long as they had paid for their tickets to the event, which Grace had fortunately done prior to the event, as if she’d planned for something like this all along.

“Wow, look at you, going around and jumping the gun to get ahead of the game. How much did the tickets even cost you?” The Detective pondered.

“That’s a secret, think of this as my treat towards you, since you’re almost always the one to be treating me.” Grace winked.

The Detective sighed as they proceeded towards the food stashes, yet again they encountered the two cloaked figures from earlier. Grace was the only one who noticed them, and she gave a stern glance towards the two. She did not alert the Detective about them at all, but she blinked eighteen times whilst her head pointed towards them.

The mysterious figures then walked away after observing, and disappeared into the crowd. As that happened, a small smirk grew upon Grace’s face.

The two proceeded to get a meal, and eat their lunch within the event’s grounds as music played from the band nearby.

“So, have you made up your mind? Seen anything you might be interested in? Those last few certainly seemed to discourage you a bit, but I saw you staring at other cars in there, I believe a few of them were offering test drives…” Grace said after a gulping down of some water to clear her throat.

“Oh yes, those few cars over there I was looking at, they were certainly looking a little promising. I believe we should check them out later if they indeed offered test drives.” The Detective said after gulping down on a piece of steak.

“Indeed we should. I saw you eyeing over that other green coupe, I believe those are-”

The Detective seemed to be enjoying the meal that ███ had gotten, and as such was unable to continue conversing. Grace, upon seeing her lover happily chewing down on the dish, couldn’t help but let out a small laugh.

Through her lovely smiles and laughs however, she looked around the dining area, and found the two cloaked figures again, awaiting on a table nearby and staring at the two, seemingly in a conversation that one could barely make out.

Without much a change to her facial expression, the two disappeared out of sight yet again.

With their lunch over, the two got up and walked around the complex first, not looking at any cars in particular. Grace took the advantage and began looking around the area as if she were looking for cars as well.

Not seeing anything that might alarm the Detective, she once again gave a smirk, grabbed her lover’s arm and away the two went towards the next parts of their journey.

“Vj scvzsk ze uvi Krk vze Yftyjkrgcvi lekvi lej.

Bakx Ngknax pbkw pxbmxk ptvalxg.

Nzi yrsve lejviv Rlwxrsve viwlcck, eztyk nryi?

Wtl atuxg pbk, lhglm ptkx wbx Huxkikbxlmxkbg oxktkzxkm zxpxlxg.

Erkliczty nliuv jzv mvirixvik jvze.”

Yet again, they went out of sight.

Somervell Bayonet

@Texaslav
The two came upon a crowd gathering nearby this one car. A low slung coupe covered in dark paint.
The press was covering it much for its impressive speed and equally impressive power levels and comfort for its price.
Everything was going well until Grace spoke up about things.
“If I may dear, an elderly friend of mine owned one of these, and she once told me that these cost quite a bit to maintain, considering that they do have quite posh fittings on the inside.”

Great power comes at the cost of high service costs ($1320), other than than pretty good stats, very speedy and sporty and the looks would’ve matched the Detective rather nicely.

Emporia Mainline

@Ryan93 & @vouge
This fairly large coupe was up next, without much redeeming features on the exterior, other than its very era appropriate colour scheme and rather sleek and clean looks.
A speaker was at the area, going on and on about its ride comfort and how its size gave it an airy feeling, other than that, not much was said about its powertrain, which raised some flags towards the Detective.
███ looked closer at a handout given to ███, and found that it only had a 250 cubic inch inline six that developed not a lot of power, and seeing no other extra V8-equipped sports oriented variants, briefly moved on.

Slow going, good looking! The engine was rather down on power and as such, wasn’t exactly enough to trickle the Detective’s desires. Other than that, fairly comfortable and very reliable, as well as being fairly cheap to maintain…

Westland Palmdale

@Kyorg
Coming upon this rather exuberant looking coupe, its eye catching styling bringing lots of press coverage and viewers from afar.
A speaker was there, and they went on and on about it’s ease of driving.
Grace looked at its listed specifications, and saw the large engine. She thought of how appealing it would be until she saw its carburettor layout and lack of power. She came back to the Detective, shaking her head.

Very humongous engine, i approb. But the lack of power, not very realistic carburettor layout, fairly high service costs were enough to toss it into la poubelle. Also suspiciously high reliability and driveability make me go hmm.

Denver Caladrius

@HybridTronny
The now five-year-old Denver reappeared at MotorEX, its bright red paintjob being as eye-catching as ever.
However, what is known will be known, and Grace yet again spoke up.
“I’ve seen these go around town, they have relatively good performance on paper, but in reality they’re rather sluggish and somewhat costly to maintain, not to mention still relatively costly for what is an outdated vehicle…”

Big engine, big power, big acceleration times somehow. Likely due to the older 3-speed manual transmission. Also among the harder to drive with a driveability of 23.7 and has a rather unrealistic carburettor layout

Davalos Sybaris 305

@titleguy1
Coming across the Davalos stand, showing last year’s Sybaris, which was still relatively new. The speakers went on about it being the car of the future, and great press attention was brought to the car.
“It’s a pretty little thing.” The Detective went.
“And it’ll cost a pretty little thing to maintain, too.” Grace followed up.

HOLY- $1598 in service costs… I-… Don’t know what to say. Other than that, fairly low driveability (22.8) and fairly low reliability (54.1).
Performance was on the “okay” side of things, but was still outclassed by others. Also 1-barrel carbs owie my realismo

Avantii Carroltar

@EnCR
A lot of talks were being made about this one. From its need of being manhandled, its lack of power steering system, and its ease of maintenance all being heard by the two.
“Sounds a bit problematic this one.”
“Mmhm…”

From one extreme to another, HOW do you even get that low driveability (18.6!). Oh wait, I know! A lack of power steering in a vehicle that obviously needs it, a big engine that makes not a lot of power, and gucci ass 50s bias ply.

Pusilanime Virtuous

@Maxbombe
At the Pusilanime stand, displaying their rather unique cars, showed this older model. With its unique looking bumpers and overall styling, it immediately caught the Detective and Grace’s attention.
The slogan was definitely tempting them, but one look at the specification sheet and while Grace could accept it, the Detective could not.
“Wow…”
“Well, I guess if they had a swap on carburettor type to the higher power two or four barrels they wou-”
“Yeah, that’s… Anyway…”

Hoo wow, that’s some pretty low power. Low driveability of 22.4 doesn’t help it either. Pretty darn reliable though at 60.5 and cheap to maintain with only $734 in service costs.

Cabrera Aquilon

@Petakabras
The two came upon this fairly normal looking sedan. Again, not a lot interesting here, but they did find out it was running another one of those space age single overhead cam engines.
With some doubts, the Detective once again looked around a bit more, and found it rather down on power.

Had potential, but was kinda min-max-y with that OHC I6 in this rather un-British looking thing. So other than being rather slow over the finalists, that’s pretty much it.

Following that and looking around the event some more, there were five potential cars now scouted, and test drives for them were luckily offered at the event. At last, the Detective had only a few things left to do.

The following five cars will make it through to the finals:

AHSI Dextralis 293 - @tzuyu_main & @chiefzach2018
Dominion Raven - @thecarlover
Chevillic Clairmont - @MisterRocketMan
Legion Crocelle Eaglefire - @donutsnail
Edelgard Dragoon 305 - @Boiled_Steak & @Xepy

May the best vehicle win.

Fortuna Dei.

20 Likes

Finalizing the Investigation

████████████

It’s the end of the road it seems to most.
How little people recognize that endings-
-are beginnings of new stories.
Fear not, people.
The end, is also the beginning.

Out in the parking area of the event, two suited men covered in thick coats and fedoras waited along and observed the cars being driven. One of them says something to another, but is barely audible from the sound of automobiles going about.

They seemed to be eyeing a certain green coupe, something about codenames.
Something metallic lurked within their thick coats.

An attendee from one of the car companies in the event saw the two and kindly approached them.
She kindly offered them a drink, and asked if the men perhaps were interested in any of the vehicles presented. The two looked at the woman in front of them, and with a few words muttered, the woman followed them somewhere.

Ol eua igt xkgj znoy.

Znoy oy tuz znk ktj.

Znk Lors ygey grr.

Ck yngrr skkz gmgot.

G

After sifting through what seemed to be dozens of cars, the two had finally come along to five cars they’d found. These five cars were all fortunately offering test drives at the event. Half of the complex’s outdoor parking area was dedicated to these five vehicles.

First up…

Legion Crocelle Eaglefire

@donutsnail
The Legion Crocelle had been continuously eyed by the Detective ever since they came into the event. The car’s fairly normal silhouette was found to be perfect for blending into other cars for those unexpected chases or visits.

Its hearty 312 cubic inch Eaglefire V8 equipped with two barrel carburettors making over 270* horsepower enough to launch the car to a standstill in under 9 seconds.

With the large engine, some difficulties were present with its handling characteristics, but it more than made up for it with its agility in turning.
Not having seen the other cars, this certainly seemed like a prospective buy for the Detective.

“Well dear, what are your thoughts on it?”

“Absolutely splendid! Comfortable enough, takes a bit of force to handle this hearty beast, but overall, I love it!”
“Well don’t fall in love too quickly, we’ve got more to look after.”

Chevillic Clairmont

@MisterRocketMan
This Chevillic was only sighted at the last minute, but its looks, while not good for blending in, certainly reminded the Detective of a friend ███ used to have.

“Certainly evokes memories.”

███ hopped into the blue coupe after being handed the keys by the attendant. Immediately the Detective noticed something was rather off. The sound of the engine intakes weren’t as noticeable on this car as it was on the other car.

Setting that aside, the Detective set off on the short run. The car’s acceleration was rather tame compared to the Crocelle. But its handling characteristics, being a smaller and lighter car were better praised. While not as agile around a turn over the Crocelle, the Clairmont certainly had easier recovery characteristics.

But the glaring thing about the coupe, was its sluggish acceleration over the Crocelle. Barely scraping under 10 seconds to 60, its 230* horsepower, 325 cubic inch engine and 3-speed gearbox not doing a lot of favours for the vehicle. Combined with smaller tyres, and being a smaller vehicle, made for a rather unappealing package.

Even after comparing their price tags with a flyer given to ███ by Grace, the Detective still had ███ sights on the Crocelle.

“Nope, doesn’t really seem better.”

Edelgard Dragoon 305

@Boiled_Steak & @Xepy
Another coupe that was really only brought in as a prospective buy to the Detective because of ███ own personal tastes and not at all for blending in.
███ hopped into the bright red coupe, and fired up the 305 cubic inch V8.

“This has got to be a treat!”
The Detective revved it up, while not as pure sounding as the Crocelle, it certainly still had a lot of grunt in it. Acceleration wise, it could almost match the larger coupe with its larger engine and larger power levels, and was definitely miles ahead of the Clairmont being able to accelerate under nine seconds despite only having a 260* horsepower engine thanks to its smaller body.

Handling wise is where the Dragoon’s flaws reared its ugly head, something was up with the way Edelgard decided to work its suspension geometry, or whatever that was. The car also lacked power steering, which was heavily noticeable as not only did ███ find it rather difficult to throw around corners, ███ also had to enter it at a lower speed, and so agility wise it didn’t exactly shine there either.

And with all its flaws in mind, the Dragoon wasn’t able to 1-up the Crocelle. Especially after seeing its expensive price tag. ███ really came to wonder what exactly you were paying for in this car?

Dominion Raven

@thecarlover
Seeing this car up close, the Detective couldn’t help but mutter a few comments about it.

“Well Grace…”
“Yes?” She pondered as to what the Detective’s comment would be this time.
“This car reminds me a lot of the first time I met you. I could say it’s love at first sight.” ███ smiled as Grace flustered up slightly.
“Oh… you…”

███ closely observed the car. It was slightly smaller, but being smaller gave off the slightly more sportier and energetic vibe than the Crocelle. But it didn’t have the more aggressive and sportier lines of the Clairmont or the Dragoon. It gave off elegance, and refinement. It wasn’t shouty, it was subtle and could probably blend into traffic well, yet still stand out when presented standalone.

Hopping in, and test driving it, the lack of power over the Dragoon and Crocelle didn’t exactly matter here, as it managed to accelerate to 60 in just under 9 seconds.
It was more comfortable too, the suspension’s smoothness and its surprising roominess more than made up for its rather normal interior fittings.

Handling wise, it was slightly ahead of the Crocelle and the Dragoon in terms of easiness to drive, but not exactly enough to match that of the Clairmont, but it also was just as agile as the two other cars.

This certainly seemed more of a prospective buy over the Crocelle, especially after seeing its price tag and how the attendees bragged on about its easiness of ownership.

“Love at first, second, and as many times as you see it.”

AHSI Dextralis 293

@Tzuyu_main & @chiefzach2018
They came up to this final red roadster. Its side exhaust pipes were certainly kicking something into the Detective. Once again, it was a more shouty vehicle. With its curvy lines to its aggressive front, it certainly evoked those youth feels.

One thing the Detective felt skeptical about, was its 290-cubic inch straight six. While those engines certainly won ASCAR, the Detective still has ███ biases against them.

Hopping in, the seats and interior trimmings weren’t really anything special. Starting the car gave way to the more common inline-6 engine sound, slightly more amplified with the exhaust pipes towards the driver’s area.

Driving it, ███ found the car was marginally slower to accelerate than all of the other cars, excluding the Clairmont, not that it was very noticeable unless when you really put your foot down. Handling wise, it was a fairly easy car to drive, though you can’t exactly go too fast around a corner with it.

And with that, the Detective was about to hop out of the red roadster, but found that because of the proximity of the exhaust pipes to the driver’s door panel, ███ almost ended up burning ███ legs from the hot exhaust.

“Well that’s another minus point, isn’t that?”

The Detective then moved ███ legs to clear the exhaust and was about to hop out of the car.

However…

Two coated figures came from the shadows, a girl was in the other man’s arm, and a gun was pointed straight to her head.

“Stay away and stay still! Or this young maiden shall lose her life today!”

Immediate chaos filled the area. Some fled, some hid, some stood completely still at the sight of a hostage. The Detective immediately got out of the red Dextralis and went over to Grace, who had fear and anxiety visible in her eyes. ███ immediately grabbed her into ███ arms and hid behind the red convertible.

The other coated man took out his gun as well, and fired a bullet into the sky before pointing it at a man who was standing next to the green Dominion. The man stood there frightened.

“Keys, sir. Now.” He said menacingly as he pulled the hammer of his six shooter.
The man threw the keys and put his hands in the air.

Moments later, with a loud bang, the man’s lifeless body fell to the floor, blood trickling from a hole in his chest and staining his white shirt in a deep red. Panic yet again ensued, and people were left mortified at the sight of a dead man before them.

The other man let go of the girl, and the two coated men hopped into the green Dominion, and ran through the crowd as they all moved away.

The Detective was quick to act, standing up from their cover and taking out ███ own revolver, firing two shots into the cabin of the runaway car that somehow had missed and instead gone straight into the dashboard.

With the car now running away, ███ immediately ran over to the man that was shot, and after evaluating he’d been a lost cause, ran back to the red AHSI and showed ███ police badge to the man in charge. The keys were promptly handed over, and Grace climbed into the passenger seat after the Detective.

“Wait, what are you doing?” The Detective said with a worried and confused look on ███ face.

“Helping, now would you fucking go already?” Grace said without hesitation, and with a stern glare towards the Detective.

The Detective tossed ███ gun towards Grace and slammed on the gas to take off after the stolen car. Grace looked at the six shooter, slamming the side of it to release the cylinder, four shots remained and the Detective didn’t seem to have carried any extra ammunition.

“So, why’d you bring this along on our date?” Grace asked the Detective, still inspecting the revolver.

“I’ve brought it along on many dates, my love. I only wanted to keep us safe.”

Turning into the corner, the AHSI found itself to have entered it at a slower speed than the Dominion. Pulling away from the straits, and despite the difference in power, the Dominion managed to gap the AHSI even more.

Swerving through traffic on the freeway, the Detective found it difficult to turn in quick enough, while it was certainly easy to correct, swerving was needed to be done at a lower speed than the green coupe up ahead, its driver seemingly not breaking a sweat as it continued to pull away from the red roadster.

From the car ahead, the other man pulled out a shotgun, and promptly began firing at the red AHSI, trying to disable either it or its passengers. Luckily they weren’t hit, and all shots seemed to have missed.

Back into the city, the driver of the green coupe had somehow made a mistake on exiting the freeway, and the AHSI had managed to keep up slightly.

Onto a corner, the green getaway car had slowed down too much, and the Detective was about to perform a pit maneuver to stop the car from getting away, yet-

As the pit maneuver was attempted, the Raven’s longer overhangs, and its slightly heavier weight combined with the drivers and their seemingly heavy weaponry, managed to be unaffected by the maneuver. Instead, the lighter roadster slammed its front right quarter panel into it and it simply deflected off the other car.

The Detective, having exceeded the car’s grip limits, was unable to recover, but fortunately didn’t end up slamming into a wall.

Before the getaway car could make it away however, Grace had skillfully managed to pull her upper body out through the window as the car she was in came to a skidding halt, and quickly managed to fire off all four rounds in quick succession, one seemingly managed to hit the driver’s left arm as the large calibre bullet penetrated the roof and go through into the cabin.

The driver of the green coupe was disabled and unable to maneuver away from another car up ahead, the coupe ended up veering off and slammed onto the oncoming car.
Grace, like one of those cowboys in movies she had seen, spun the unloaded revolver around her finger and blew the smoke away from the hot barrel. The Detective just stared in awe.

“So when did you learn to shoot?” ███ said as ███ stared at Grace, sitting on the door panel of the red convertible, she very clearly had a smug grin upon her.

The Detective got out of the car, walking towards the wreck. Police from the city came to surround the green Dominion as well. ███ showed ███ badge to the rest of the police force that came, and they all acknowledged the Detective as well.

The police managed to ID the two men, infamous criminals that were responsible for a shooting not too long ago, and apparently minions of a certain Archanan spy.

“Well Detective, you really pulled off one of your techniques even with a car that wasn’t assigned to you, huh?” One of the officers approached ███, chuckling.

“It’s almost my signature at this point, isn’t it? But I’m afraid I’m bound to lose it!” ███ looked at the damaged coupe, before looking back at the red roadster as Grace began getting out.

And with that, ███ decision was more or less settled.

████████████

Congratulations to @thecarlover for winning CSR 133!

With a combination of ease of maintenance, sportiness, great value for money and relative realism, the 1959 Dominion Raven now has made it into the hands of our Detective here! Here's more to come with the investigations ███'ll be performing!

The Top Five ranking:

1 - @thecarlover
2 - @Tzuyu_main & @chiefzach2018
3 - @donutsnail
4 - @Boiled_Steak & @Xepy
5 - @MisterRocketMan

Apologies if I took too long, or if there were a lot of controversies with this round! I tried my best with being a first-time CSR host, combined with an era that both me and a lot of people aren’t very familliar with, as well as attempting to ████████ an ███, I wanted to shake things up a bit for my first round, but that gave me quite a bit too much for me to put onto my plate and well…

The course of True Love never did run smooth, did it?

I’ll try to release the spreadsheet when I can.
*Signifies engine power levels were shown in gross. (Rough estimation, or literally just me adding 50 more horsepower.)

Jgy oyz toinz jgy Ktjk jkx Mkyinoinzk.
Ghkx ky quttzk onxky ykot.

Once again, Deo Auctore.
I’ll be seeing you.

22 Likes

The writing and worldbuilding in this CSR was insanely good. Thanks for hosting this round Yuri, and congratulations to the winner!

6 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t expect the Raven to come out at the detective’s favourite.

I’ll put something together for the next round (don’t expect such a compelling storyline as this one).

11 Likes

If only I’d given it a bit of wheelspin… Well done everyone, and especially well done variationofvariables for hosting!

3 Likes

Congratulations to you on winning yet another hard-fought round - and well done to @variationofvariables for doing a better job hosting it than I thought!

Anyway, after looking at the verdicts one last time, the reason for your victory becomes clear: your Raven appealed as much to the client’s head as it did to the heart, which was especially important when the final five were so closely matched in all aspects.

This round also brings to mind CSR 65, which you hosted, but that one featured the twist of modern (2020 and onwards) tech in 50s bodies, something that was absent here. And considering the tight ET budgets and lack of clarification on what constituted a realistic 1950s build, I’m surprised that there wasn’t any more controversy about the first set of cuts. Here’s hoping that CSR 134 lives up to its predecessor’s high standards - and with less salt to boot.

3 Likes

New thread’s up!

4 Likes