CSR 137: Life after (V8) Falcodore (Completed - Results posted)

And to the competition… sorry, but you lose. You’ll be staring at this as it goes farther and farther away.

I wouldn’t be so sure, especially since this is CSR and more often than not even the prettiest cars submitted have extremely sophisticated engineering

2 Likes

7/8 series and most Posche models also start at $35k more than this guy’s max budget, not to mention that Porsches are in an entirely different class of performance that justifies their use of carbon ceramics. Also I’m not even sure if the 7 and 8 series have carbon ceramics at all, I checked their website. They do mention “composite rotors” but a Google search reveals that this isn’t carbon ceramic.

2 Likes

The only BMWs I would see using carbon ceramics are the two Alpina models and the M models. I may be wrong.

3 Likes

My eyes will thank you for going farther and farther away with all of those taillights!! :rofl:

My dad’s base model Mercedes GLC300 has them. I just went into my garage to check :joy:

England spending $300 on an anime figurine? Well worth it my dude :+1:
nobody needs to know the cost of my custom dakimakura

600 dollars

1 Like

Meh, in the ballpark…

If your dad’s GLC300 has carbon ceramics (which it doesn’t) he’s gonna want to sell it the moment he gets a bill for new brake pads/rotors.

4 Likes

Let me PM you a picture, stock.

I’d say it’s easy to mix up carbon ceramics for just any other kind of drilled rotor brake, especially if you’re not exactly very knowledgable when it comes to cars.

Rule of thumb though; carbon ceramics can be drilled, but drilled brakes don’t automatically mean they’re carbon ceramic, however. So don’t go assuming x car has this or that just because it looks similar to something else and using that as judgement for whatever you may use it for. :wink:

Below is an image of the 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLC300’s drilled rotors (From Mercedes-Benz).

And here below is an image of actual carbon ceramics also on a GLC, albeit the GLC 63 AMG (Image not from Mercedes-Benz, however). :wink:

It’s very easy to mix up, I can’t even tell the difference myself unless I look real close and notice all the little carbon ceramic bits on the brakes. However, there is absolutely no reason for Mercedes-Benz to use carbon ceramic brake rotors on a base model SUV. As Watermelon pointed out above, servicing it would be a nightmare and I don’t think consumers would ever want that from a base model luxury SUV.

13 Likes

Our family GLC has the brakes as shown in the bottom photo. The car’s fully loaded with AMG packages galore so I’m not necessarily surprised. Could’ve been something he asked the dealer to put in. By contrast, the brakes on my GLA look like the top photo, and I know those are drilled rotors (in part because I replaced them when I bought the car)

Also, yes, they do use composite rotors, but not carbon ceramic rotors. They use silica-carbide rotors. While they still are composite they’re a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and maintain. Carbon ceramic discs don’t necessarily make a car stop better, they just help arrest heat energy that built up during braking. Most road cars aren’t going to experience enough heat to warrant having a set of carbon ceramic discs, not even most high-performance V8 saloon cars for that matter…

8 Likes

A collaboration with @conan

2018 Helmden - Corsair STU-TU-6

The fine line between subtle and aggressive.