CSR 139- Luxury, Uncompromised (Completed, Winner Announced!)

hell ye, im in the same boat!

2 Likes

Are we still allowed to post smaller adverts or propaganda just for fun? I want to post a photoshop of my car because I didn’t have enough time to do so before submissions.

• Whoever here has photoshop the new sky replacement feature is amazing you should definitely try it out.

I would prefer that you not, keeps the thread from getting too clogged up.

8 Likes

There’s the company pages for that too!

6 Likes

That was scary fast. Judging by the design bins/citations, aggro and eye-catching styling nets you an advantage.

3 Likes

That reminds me actually, I should make one for hergenrother.

3 Likes

That was quick. By the way, David seems to be really picky when it comes to turbo lag - I think he’s drawn the line at 3,000 rpm, and any turbo that spools any later than that seems too laggy for him. So here’s my engine’s dyno sheet for reference:

Yep, spooling up at 4k rpm is apparently too much for the kind of GT David has set his sights on (although in a supercar or hypercar, it would be more tolerable).

On that basis, if I’d gone for a bigger, more prestigious atmo V8, V10 or V12, it would have stood a better chance - although to be fair, the exterior styling still needs work. Besides, in America (where this round is set), emissions are not as much of a concern as they are in Europe.

So for comparison’s sake, here’s an NA V12 I cooked up recently that, in hindsight, would have been more suitable for my entry than I first thought:

It’s not as clean or efficient, but actually makes more power in this state of tune, and has no lag whatsoever. The only drawback is that I had to ditch the AWD system, and even then it was still more expensive to service, but it would have yielded a more prestigious car.

Another point of contention: Some of the cars had tire widths that were divisible exactly by 10. On race cars, this is acceptable, but on road cars, it’s an absolute no-no - for those applications, the tire widths must not be divisible by 10 (i.e. the last digit in the width portion of the label must be a 5) - and you were right to reject any car with such unusual tire sizes. In fact, I made it an explicit rule when I hosted CSR 137 - it’s no surprise that you took the hint.

1 Like

Now I’m half expecting my car to be eliminated based on the turbo behaviour too - I simply gave up (until the turbo revamp) trying to make the curves nice and spool early with that outdated tech, instead going for realistic output parameters.

2 Likes

I suspect power and torque bands might be playing a part too. It might be okay for David to have a car turbo spooling up at, say, 3500 rpm, if there’s a relatively wide rpm range of usable power and torque over it. I might be wrong, mind it, but that’s my theory.

Even if it’s not as efficient, is doable to compensate the late spooling with this 7-8 gear transmission most of us chose, keeping the overall revs slightly higher to compensate for the higher turbo spool cut. but if your rev range of usable power and torque is too small, you end up with the trasmission doing double downshifts and upshifts on the regular, and that hinders comfort and smoothness. It’s not much, but it will end up being noticeable in the long term, even with today’s advanced transmissions.

On a sidenote, i’m pretty happy my car passed the first elimination round, and can’t wait to see how this continues.

2 Likes

I had 2 suitable engines, a 6.0L turbo V12 making about 800hp, and the atmo (or naturally aspirated for us Americans) 7.3L V8 making the 540hp. The difference on my RWD coupe on the Automation test track was about a second, so I put in the truck motor. Slightly cheaper, slightly better drivability, marginally slower. Looks like skipping the turbo was a good call.

3 Likes

̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶b̶i̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶c̶h̶e̶m̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶

anyway at least I am pretty happy with the results lmfao, I was considering to use a NA/turbo V10 but that couldn’t work because my engineering time just went brr
̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶4̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶r̶e̶ ̶V̶8̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶i̶z̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶a̶k̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶b̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶g̶

anyway this was a fun CSR, thanks for hosting!

4 Likes

I’m not sure David knows what he wants. The title is “Luxury, uncompromised” aka uncompromised luxury. The description asks for a GT car that’s highly prestigeous and comfortable, but still sporty. So I set up my car a bit softer to make it great for long roadtrips and such, which I figured is probably what the purpose of the car would be. Mind you, the Sportiness on my car is still 48.1 and it does 0-100km/h in 3.3 seconds.

The cars in the “Inspirations” are also mostly comfortable yet powerful GT cruisers, but there’s also the Mercedes AMG GTR and Nissan GTR in there, both of which are track weapons and have racing-inspired aerodynamic exterior features. So I figured maybe David might like that, but then my car got labelled “boy-racer” ish. As if the Nissan GTR or AMG GTR aren’t a bit, you know, immature let’s say.

The turbos on my engine reach full boost at 3400RPM and it revs to 7500RPM, but my engine was deemed too laggy. The headlights and taillights are custom arrangements of thin LED stripes as well as opaque filler material, everything made by hand and took like an hour overall. I understand that they may not appeal to everyone and that’s fine. But last time I checked, modern exotic cars use partly or mostly (some even exclusively) LED stripes as their lights, yet apparently my car’s LEDs are outdated.

All in all, I’m not bitter that I’m out and in fact I was expecting to be eliminated, it’s just that I try to understand why because with the given information, the criticisms against my car don’t seem to make sense. Doesn’t help that the guidelines were all over the place to begin with.

2 Likes

I guess the design part was about the thin upper grille, separated from the bottom one, instead of a one big surface.

2 Likes

yeah, maybe it was. But having just one big grille wouldn’t work on this body because of the way the front is shaped. And I made the headlights first because I knew they would take the most time, and without the thin upper grille the design wouldn’t look as smooth

You might want to check again, there is no SLS Black Series in the inspiration pics. This is the closest, and this is an AMG GT R. Not exactly the same thing…
a639a3c3fdaad51860748423a143df7d36f65ab1_1_690x345

2 Likes

My 2 cents, those Daytime running-lights are a bit outdated in my opinion, they’re too straight and… contemporary I think is the right word. Most other GT cars in this segment have curvy and swooping DRL patterns as well following the general shape of the lights better, them being blue doesn’t help either. Overall, I think I’m going to have to side with Vero on this one.

4 Likes

yup, sorry my bad. I corrected it in my post now. The point still stands, the AMG GTR was designed as a track weapon, seeing as it comes with a stripped down interior and a rollcage.

There are no blue lights on my car. On the front, they’re all white (or rather, the default color of these LED stripe fixtures). But yes, I could have put more effort into the DRLs, that’s fair. Even then, the design isn’t all that counts for this one and while I will happily accept that my design doesn’t appeal to everyone and could be better, on the technical side I think the criticisms are unfounded.

Maybe I should have committed to the more performance-car side of things, so if the car is gonna look like a track weapon it shouldn’t be a somewhat-soft and comfortable GT cruiser. I could have sharpened it and made it more sporty, but then I would have probably been knocked out for building a track monster that just so happened to have a luxury interior, rather than a GT car.

The rollcage is part of an optional package, and is more akin to a rollbar. And I wouldn’t consider this interior stripped down. Perhaps you are thinking of the GT R PRO or even the Black Series, which I would properly consider to be track weapons rather than simply track oriented.

7 Likes

bro you had 48 sportiness, it wasn’t gonna make the cut. I’m sorry, that’s the reality.

2 Likes