CSR 158 - Obaachan's Wild Ride

In other words, it must not only comply with all levels of emissions standards up to 1997, but also be future-proofed for the next two such levels (which will come into force in 2001 and 2005 respectively).

1 Like

There is no “sake of fairness” as this round is held in Open Beta.
Host uses that and participants use that.

Your “sake of fairness” can paint you as terrible engineer, as engine internals no longer can handle torque or RPM making engine no longer work.
Emissions are another thing that can get you binned.

Yes, your cars from stable can be imported in Open Beta
No, they arent guaranteed to work as well as you imagined or at all WITHOUT tweaks you must do in Open Beta

Remember: Hosts judge cars for free, by their own volition.

Having rules based on the stable version would require:

• a lot of extra time making sure the rules are fair and comparable between the two versions
  • a lot of time swapping back and forth between the two versions to run test mules for the two versions, re-downloading constantly
  • a lot of extra time during judging, swapping back and forth and comparing stuff which wasn’t considered initially

No sensible host will ever run a challenge on two versions of the game at one time. Additionally, getting fair rules with such major challenges is borderline impossible.

Be fair on hosts.

Also, there are certain things which were true for emissions in stable which aren’t for open beta. Richer fuel can improve your emissions score now (but it’s situational).

7 Likes

And with my internet speeds, it takes roughly an hour to swap between versions of the game.

Yes, this is the tab i was referring to.

Quick size question:

According to Wikipedia, kei’s are 1.48m (58.26 inches) wide max. The body I’m using is 58.36 inches wide with the flares at the narrowest, but will squeeze in the length requirement. Is this still going to count as a kei, or is it just squeezed out?

I’m letting people round up to 1.5 m (59 inches) wide.

2 Likes

There are no fixture changes between the two versions of the game are there?

I’m thinking I can do the engineering roughly and design the car in stable while I wait for some bug fixes

2 Likes

Its not recommended but you could do this, yes. Never know if the body you used is gone/changed in the beta.

A few body sets in the stable release have been removed in the 4.3 Open Beta due to being deprecated with the presence of new, similar body sets.

Casual reminder that with your car submission, you need to make a post with your car in it in here as well. That’s how I get all the juicy lore tidbits about what you’ve built. X3

2 Likes

Make me thrill as only you know how

Kotatsu Sway

Made to promote their first dealer in Hokkaido, the Sway originally was produced as a reward for several first purchases in said dealer. It was revealed, weirdly enough, in the launching ceremony of said dealer. Still, it drove everyone nuts. Everyone talked about it, regular TV cartoons and comics start to feature its likeness, and demands are starting to pop up. Kotatsu saw an opportunity and took it, and started producing it for the masses.

In brainstorming the design, Kotatsu looked back at exotic carmakers of old, preferrably European ones. The song “Sway” performed by Dean Martin was chosen as namesake for the car due to the intention of it being a “dance partner like no other” for its drivers. While abiding to Kei car regulations, it still manages to deliver an exciting ride for those willing to give it a chance.

Gallery

by Kotatsu Design Team

16 Likes

Folski Piat - Rethinking Motorization of the Masses

After our success in motorizing the working class with a small, reliable and affordable car in the 70s and 80s, times and standards have changed.
To fit the needs of globalization, better living standards and the wish for fun we were rethinking the concept of our greatest success.

The Folski Piat - Maluch Modernizacja combines the concept of a small, reliable and affordable car with a new small, yet sporty and fuel efficient engine, a modern look and a premium interior.

It also opens us access to foreign markets like Japan. Small in size and staying within displacement limits it fits into the Kei Car category to receive all tax benefits.

The rear engine from our strategic partner Eberswalder Motorenwerke complies with the highest enviromental standards and gives an excellent fuel economy. The naturally aspirated I3 outputs 63hp, while consuming 4.4l/100km. A long life engine with low service cost compared to turbo charged engines. It delivers torque homogenously and revs up to 8000rpm. The adv. automatic transmission combines comfort with sportiness and accelerates the car from 0-100km/h in 10.5 seconds while reaching a top speed of nearly 200km/h.

The car offers two seats and a large storage compartment in the front. Convinient driving through power steering and a comfortable suspention setup. The Premium Interior will make you feel like chilling on your living room couch even on longer travel.

A small daily sportscar for everyone.

3 Likes

Feeling their deeper pockets at the end of the 90’s after the company’s near death experience in the late 70’s, the American manufacturer Airman made the decision to start catering to foreign markets and expanding their lineup. Their first offering was the Sunrise, a two seat kei car designed for urban markets. The Sunrise was seen as a departure from their standard faire, since the model that saved the company was the full–size Liberator.

(My wife’s comment on first seeing the car: “Where do you put the wind–up key?”)

4 Likes

i know its a bit late now and no one else has asked this but with two mufflers my car is essentially silent, even one straight through muffler and it’d be pretty quiet really.

If we want to do a “foreign kei-car” and exceed the 63hp limit which japanese manufacturers agreed to, do we still get the kei car tax discount?

You do, but you have to explicitly state what country your car is from when submitting to make use of that rule. I can only make so many inferences and I’m not steeped in everyone’s brand history.

1 Like

1998 Akari Saphira GSi DuoTop

Lore

New for 1998, the Saphira GSi was Akari’s latest foray into the compact sports car world, this time targeting kei dimensions. However, this Saphira differs from other models, thanks to the decidedly un-kei 1.4 liter inline-4 powertrain making 95 horsepower, 32 more than the 660cc turbocharged inline-3 available in other Saphira trims. While the GSi no longer followed kei regulation, the injection of power brought the Saphira to new highs. This powerplant was only available with a 5-speed manual gearbox, and a torque-sensing limited slip differential, rendering it capable of 0-60 in 8 seconds flat, and taking it to a terminal velocity of 130 miles per hour. The model pictured here is painted in Heritage Teal, and carries an MSRP of $14,300.

Gallery

Specifications

1998 Akari Saphira GSi DuoTop

Base Price/Price As Tested;
$14,300/$14,300

Final Assembly;
Assembled at Akari Technical Center, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan

Body Style;
Front engine, rear wheel drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe

Engine;

Akari SR14iHC

Longitudinally-mounted, naturally aspirated 1.4L/1398cc inline-4
Aluminium block and heads, forged internals
Port fuel injection with Akari AVEC Engine Control Unit
Chain-driven dual overhead camshafts, 4 valves per cylinder, single standard mid air intake
11.3:1 compression ratio
95 horsepower at 6,100 RPM
102lb-ft of torque at 4,400 RPM
7,000 RPM redline
Sport tuned exhaust with a 3-way catalytic converter and dual reverse flow mufflers
Premium (95 RON/91 AKI) fuel required

Drivetrain;
5-speed manual
2.75:1 final drive ratio
Rear wheel drive with an torque sensing limited slip differential

Dimensions;
1.92 meter wheelbase
3.32 meter overall length
1.39 meter overall width
218 millimeters of ground clearance
0.254 Cd drag coefficient
57% front, 43% rear weight distribution
1,684 pound curb weight

Chassis/Body;
Unitary corrosion resistant steel monocoque with isolated subframes
Stamped and treated steel body panels

Suspension;
Front independent control arms, coil springs, steel mono-tube dampers, anti-roll bar
Rear independent control arms, coil springs, steel mono-tube dampers, anti-roll bar

Steering;
Unassisted rack and pinion steering

Brakes;
Hydraulic with anti-lock control
275mm front ventilated disc brakes with 1 piston rotors
245mm rear solid disc brakes with 1 piston rotors

Wheels;
14-inch cast aluminum alloy wheels
P155/60R14 78H front and rear tires
30psi front and rear

Performance;
0 to 62 MPH in 8.0 seconds
130 MPH top speed (electronically limited)
15.90 second standing 1/4 mile drag test
62-0 MPH in 37.5 meters
0.979g on a 20m cornering test, 0.810g on a 200m cornering test
40 MPG city/54 MPG highway/47 MPG combined

14 Likes

@Portalkat42

Might be a bit late since I’ve sent you an entry but I assume the 2.3m wheelbase limit is in game? Ie 2.34m and below and not an absolute of 2.30m. Since mine is well under the kei regs and 2.33m in wheelbase.

Ye. It’s whatever the game rounds to 2.3

1 Like
One Week Left!

Technically just under a week, but still. Here are some reminders as you complete or start your builds.

✧ Despite the numerous references to Kei Cars in the brief and on the challenge announcements channel, sticking to kei car regulations is purely optional. It gives you a SVC reduction and that’s it. A small, sporty car that’s in a similar performance category can score just as well as a kei car in this challenge.

✧ The emissions standard you need to meet is WES 10. The ui change to the emissions part of the fuel economy tab has resulted in some confusion with the original phrasing I had for this rule. I had updated the rules to reflect this, but I’m reiterating it here for clarity.

✧ SUVs, Utes, Trucks, and Vans are NOT welcome in this challenge, kei or otherwise. Those body types are already not allowed within the ruleset, but visually converting something labeled as a sedan or hatch into one of those will get you binned as well. I thought I had made this clear with the inspirations I chose, but after seeing some discord discourse around the subject, I’m making that clear here as well.

✧ If you are taking advantage of the Caterham exception to the Kei car power rule, please let me know when submitting. I’m not going to chase down where your brand is from outside of this thread or your DM to check this rule.

8 Likes