CSR154 - Midsize Mania [DONE]

In-game market desirability and major stats (drivability, comfort, sportiness) seem to commonly favor front brakes roughly 5% overpowered, and rears roughly 10% overpowered. Reality favors front brakes maybe 1% overpowered, and the rears a bit underpowered. A previous competition I entered got me points off for “weak brakes” because the front brakes were just barely above tire grip - how I’d’ve done it IRL, not how the game does it.

1 Like

Well, generally, doing things that were either improbable or dangerous irl isn’t going to help you in a competition. The line between optimization and cheese is pretty obvious: when you’re at the point where your primary emotion is “holy shit, how is this not hurting me?” - you’ve crossed that line.

1 Like

As I see it: the brakes will lose effectiveness over time, and having full braking capability even with worn brakes is better than not having it when you need it.

It would be quite bad if a brake was only good if it’s recently serviced/replaced.

1 Like

Isn’t that what the Fade metric is meant to address? Most brakes actually work better when worn in and somewhat warmed up.

1 Like

Warmed up, yeah. Overheated, no.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the fade metric is the loss of efficiency by the brakes heating up enough for the brake fluid to start boiling (and thus cause a loss of brake pressure through gas compressibility) / stuff forming on the brake surface causing a loss of friction between friction material and brake

3 Likes

Yes, all of that amounting to the brakes losing effectiveness over time. Age and pad material remaining have no direct effect on how well they work - if there’s no glazing or contamination, and at least some pad life left, they’ll do no worse than brand new hardware.

Either way, unless you have any questions besides “how far can I cheese the stats on this before you throw me out the competition”, there’s nothing more I have to say.

My last reply was to @shibusu . Your previous reply is clear enough to me.

Next questions:

What’s the verdict on environmental resistance?

Are period- and market-correct bumpers required?

Does Tony prefer to get free arm exercise while driving, or for hydraulics to let him relax?

The fade metric is strictly short term heating of the brake systems. Once the brakes cool down they’ll be fine again unless you’ve damaged them in some way. Fade (both IRL and in Automation) doesn’t have anything to do with how old the brakes are, only how good they are at dissipating heat.

4 Likes

Hey there, generally when it comes to developing your own car, we always prefer if you kept the forum threads clean and joined the discord instead.

Usually the #challenges channel will always have more or less some people active to help you specifically with challenge builds. The host of this challenge is there as well, and that’s usually the case. If not, you can always ask in the normal automation channels to ask for help with your builds. Cheers!

5 Likes

My question was about scoring criteria, which varies from judge to judge and is relevant for all to know. I’m not asking anything specific to my work in progress.

If something’s not in the brief, then it’s not there - but if you have an envres of 10 I might see fit to question it.

Power steering was common at the time already - but not ubiquitous on compact cars, the Chevrolet Cavalier for example did not have it. Use your judgement.

1980 Elkridge Dreadnought Base

Yours for the low price of $10,300AMU!

4 Likes

Seen here in our cutting-edge computer graphics advertisement: the now-available 1980 revision of the SUMA M332 Crucera Plus!

Revived once again as a FWD mid-size sedan, this EFI V6-powered cruiser is loaded with everything an American needs in a car. It’s reasonably sized, reasonably powerful, reasonably fuel efficient, and comfortable and spacious as all get-out, but won’t break the bank!

8 Likes

The Anhultz Dione IV automaat

Perfection needs no introduction.

if anyone hasn’t seen one of those milling about the forums, they either joined in the past month or so or are living under a rock :P

13 Likes

IMO this community classic deserves a proper interior.

4 Likes

Swanson 225 PFi
The Mouse That Roared

SEOPS
High MTBF, 3-valve aluminium head, injection boxer 6 with emissions kit. Max thrust 207Nm for adequate acceleration and a never exceed speed of 0.17 mach. Range up to 700km.

Mechanical control
Manual gearbox and steering is manly. Firm(ish) but forgiving gas suspension. Right wheel drive. Vented front discs for stopping power. Fixed slats.

Business class
Adjustable red velour comfort seating. Full instrumentation. Cockpit air conditioning. Upgraded radio with 8-track playback. Navigation window for starry nights.

Clickbait

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

17 Likes

it has one and the fixtures are even still in there

but i deliberately blanked it out (opaque windows) since it isn’t judged anyway and i feel like the subconscious effect an interior might alter judging regardless of what is being said

thus, it feels unfair or is at least poor sportsmanship

of course this is not meant to de-value those players having gone through the effort of adding one.
just my 2 cents

3 Likes

What a lovely interior! Made me “oooh!” out loud (OOL, which can be pronounced in the same pattern as LOL).

1 Like