CW7: Golden Age Memories (closed, rankings pending)

Consider reworking the noise penalty. No 35-year-old who ostensibly cares about performance would have any problem with “50 loudness”, let alone 40. If a loudness value can be achieved with a well-muffled exhaust but a perf intake, no penalty is appropriate.

3 Likes

I’ll burn three for this first batch.

1. Alfa Romeo SZ (1990)

2. Toyota Mark II JZX90 (1992)

3. Mercedes Benz W201 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution I (1989)

2 Likes

You may be right. Reducing the value of points penalties for excessive loudness might make sense for me after all.

Will the reliability take in to consideration the age of the car? or will cars from the 80s be compared to cars in the 10s directly?

1987 Ferrari Testarossa

1982 Lotus Esprit Turbo

2008 Nissan 350z

Good point. Reliability will factor in the car’s age, for balance’s sake.

1 Like

Just double checking so you don’t waste a slot. I have already posted an Esprit in case you just wanted to see the rank for an Esprit in general, but maybe you wanted to see if there is any difference between an S2 and the S4 I posted since a lot happened between them.

1984 Audi Sport Quattro

2002-2006 Ferrari 575M Marinello

2007 Factory Five GTM

2004-2006 Ford GT

4 Likes

I do indeed, looks wise and a bit of engineering.

2 Likes

Yeah the S3 (and forward) can more or less be seen as a new car, so that’s why I thought that would be the case. :slight_smile:

1993 Mercedes SL600 AMG

1998 Mazda NB Miata 1.8

3 Likes

24/Seven

Lolux

La Fasta

Mod Speeder

GT Scorcher

7 Likes

Those are all Hot Wheels cars, not real ones, so I’m proposing a new rule:

All Cool Wall suggestions must be of real-life cars (including SUVs, trucks, and minivans) to be valid. Commercial vehicles and fictional cars, however, are not - any suggestions of those will be ignored, but will not count against your quota of 5 valid suggestions.

Do you (dis)agree with this? Please let me know.

1 Like

How about concept cars that have been made and shown at a car show? Maybe ruling out only CGI renders

I’ll count concept cars as real-life cars, as long as they have actually been built and displayed at car shows (those that are only known from CGI and/or hand-drawn renders won’t count).

Can someone explain how this challenge works? I read the thread over and over and seem to not understand the purpose of the cool wall.

What I understand is that the cars suggested for the cool wall will at some point be rated and placed on one of the four splits of the cool wall.

What I don’t quite get is what that will give us.

Is it going to be a wall of references for the car that we are supposed to create?
Shall we create something that seems similar to the best cars on the cool wall?

I am totally confused, please help.

Yeah you have the basic idea there. You are aiming to build something on the “sub zero” end but that also fits the priorities and needs of the buyer

Normally, a challenge has a clear brief (“build a 1999 minivan”) and then you get some inspiration pictures of similar cars as the client is looking for.

With cool wall, you have a client that is willing to cross-shop a lot of cars, and you are supposed to balance what the client wants with what the client needs. If you only find supercars on sub zero but the client has practicality, purchase price and fuel economy as priorities, it’s not sure that you will score better with a supercar than something like a Toyota Corolla wagon even if the later one is on the uncool side.

So, you’re given the priorities, maybe you think about something to build that fits them. Then you think about some IRL cars that are close, suggest them for the wall to see where they end up. Since you already have the priorities, you can then decide what seems to be the ultimate balance. Let’s say you have that scenario again, with the supercars and the Corolla wagon. Then, not on sub zero but on cool, you find an Audi S4. More cheap, practical and economical than any supercar, less so than a Corolla wagon, but maybe the coolness factor will make something similar a winner. Or you could gamble a little bit and go for something sub zero that sucks stats wise, or something seriously uncool with top stats. Or maybe you find something that could score high on everything among the sub zero cars. It is largely unknown since the host does not know what will end up on the cool wall until everybody has sent in suggestions.

Clear enough?

5 Likes

Yeah makes sense now, thanks!

Here are my suggestions for the cool wall:

1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500

2007 BMW M5 E60 Manual (US-spec)

1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 5

1998 Opel Vectra i500

1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo

4 Likes