Downforce

So I’ve been playing around with the payed version of the game for a while (excellent job btw) and something has been baffling me: Downforce
I understand how it works in the real world but I don’t understand how it’s measured, a car I am currently testing is giving me numbers of -68.1 Front @200km/h and 68.1 Rear. My brain is telling me that at 200 km/h the front weighs 68 lbs less and rear weighs 68 lbs more. This makes no sense, I’m so confused.

What this means is that at 200 km/h the car is being lifted by a force created by the air of 68.1 kg making the front end of the car appear 68.1 kg lighter at the front at that speed meaning there is less weight on the front wheels and therefore less front end grip, yet at the rear the car is being pushed downwards by a force created by the air of 68.1 kg, making the car apparently 68.1 kg heavier at the rear at that speed meaning there is more weight on the rear wheels and therefore more rear end grip.

Hope this helped

That sounds like a very imbalanced setup, I assume you put on a wing in the back but no lip in the front? Having a wing in the back actually generates LIFT at the front of the car, making it difficult to steer at high speeds.
Most production cars have quite a bit of lift all round at high speeds. This is a good reference: lotustalk.com/forums/f152/do … one-86195/

Actually this particular car has a lip on the front and back (just for looks) and wing on the back, I didn’t realize the lips did anything tangible, I’m learning more and more that there’s more to this game than one might think, thanks for the help guys.

[quote=“Killrob”]That sounds like a very imbalanced setup, I assume you put on a wing in the back but no lip in the front? Having a wing in the back actually generates LIFT at the front of the car, making it difficult to steer at high speeds.
Most production cars have quite a bit of lift all round at high speeds. This is a good reference: lotustalk.com/forums/f152/do … one-86195/[/quote]

Cool list, interesting that the Lambo Gallardo has rear lift and front down force, handling that must weird

[quote=“maffc”][quote=“Killrob”]That sounds like a very imbalanced setup, I assume you put on a wing in the back but no lip in the front? Having a wing in the back actually generates LIFT at the front of the car, making it difficult to steer at high speeds.
Most production cars have quite a bit of lift all round at high speeds. This is a good reference: lotustalk.com/forums/f152/do … one-86195/[/quote]

Cool list, interesting that the Lambo Gallardo has rear lift and front down force, handling that must weird[/quote]

A little something like this maybe:

Since it is AWD, they let you have the trademark Lamborghini oversteer.

quote=“Killrob”

So if a car weighs 1000 kgs, with a weight distribution of 60F/40R, it means that we must subtract the front and rear negative downforce @200km/h, to 600 kgs and 400kgs, right? It depends much of the car performance? I mean, an 180 km/h top speed car, could have, say -60kgs in the front and -40kgs in the rear, @200km/h? without causing big troubles? Or the effects of negative downforce goes much deeper than that?
Didn’t we had a graph with that information on previously versions of the game?

Yes, we had a graph for that, and it wasn’t very useful.
A 60/40 car at 1000kg with 50kg of lift on either side will have 550kg on the front axle and 350kg on the rear axle at 200 km/h.
At 100 km/h that would be 50 / (200/100)^2 = 50 / 4 = 12.5 kg each. The quadratic nature of this is making it pretty much negligible at lower speeds. If you make a 400 km/h car though… ouch! that would be 200 kg of lift each :slight_smile:

So at 180 km/h would be 40.5 each?

Yes, that is correct!

Thank you Killrob!