Engine designer

I have 2 questions.

1. When the turbos come out, will we be able to have an intercooler without a turbo?

2. Can the engine designer be used as a simulation for real world engines? (e.g. if I make my real car engine in the designer, can I then use it to simulate possible changes I can make to my real engine?)

1. in the next release in a few days or a few weeks time
  2. Unable to answer question…DAFFY HEEEEEEEELP!

[quote=“Claytonator”]I have 2 questions.

1. When the turbos come out, will we be able to have an intercooler without a turbo?

2. Can the engine designer be used as a simulation for real world engines? (e.g. if I make my real car engine in the designer, can I then use it to simulate possible changes I can make to my real engine?)[/quote]

3. No. An intercooler is useless without forced induction because the ambient temperature will be roughly the same as the intercooler temperature. Since there’s no cooling effect, it’s just dead weight.

edit: On a naturally-aspirated car, hood scoops and/or cold-air intakes can be used to reduce intake air temperatures…

[quote=“Killrob”]Hmm no … I think that’s a common misconception about Automation :slight_smile:
Automation is not a simulation but a parameterization. To add stuff like that to a parameterization is a metric crapton of work, while it would be rather easy to do if you have a simulation. I think very few people get the difference between the two… I hope you are one of them :slight_smile: Cheers![/quote]

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]We tried to make it work well, but it just ended up being annoying, no fun to use, and producing odd results sometimes.

If you want to play with every detail of engine design with absolute realism, have a look at something like -http://www.proracingsim.com/desktopdyno.htm[/quote]

[quote=“Killrob”]Ohh wow, that does sound like a very complicated thing to do :slight_smile: and I think you only suggest that because you misunderstand the engine designer a bit… we fooled you! Yay! :smiley:
It is NOT a simulation… just a very good parameterization. That means: we don’t simulate the burning of fuel, heat dissipation, etc. That would be hugely complex and a big source for errors. ;([/quote]

Basically, it’s a close approximation but there are inherent limitations. I wouldn’t tune a real life engine based solely on Automation specs, but it’s close enough to give you an idea as to how things might work if you were to make certain changes.

Hope this helps.

Okay thanks for all the help

Slim Jim needs to get the “Master of the Search Function” award :smiley: