Exhaust Sound

[quote=“xABSOLUTIONx”]speaking of sound itself, under-square, square and over-square engines make different sounds

for a good compramision BMW’s S50B30, S50B32 (BMW E36 M3) and S52B32 (BMW E46 M3)

and listen to Mercedes Benz M104 (300E-24) and Toyota 2JZ (most notable use - Supra)[/quote]

Hmm… ok, what is the difference in sound you propose between oversquare, square and over-square, as in HOW should the sound be different?

I had a listen to a series of BMW S series 6s, some M104 Mercs, some naturally aspirated 2JZs (as the turbo ones of course sound very different) and could find no aspect of the sound that seemed to consistently vary with bore and stroke. The M104 is the most oversquare, and it sounds pretty similar to the square 2JZ, the longer stroke S52B32 sounds slightly more high pitched and chainsaw like, but that seems to mostly be down to exhaust design, as the wildly undersquare Falcon 4.0L Inline 6 sounds just like the 2JZ, but then again other Falcon I6s with more open exhausts sound like the M3 motor again.

It’s quite possible to change the sound on the basis of bore and stroke relationship, as that’s just a simple parameter for the game to drive, but I can’t find any consistent differences in sound that I can attribute to it!

yeah… maybe I can’t hear the cam profile take effect on my computer, but you can hear the engine roar after about 4000 RPM regardless if the bypass valves are on or off. They are the only issues with sound really… I think that vipervader wants to kind of adjust the tone, because the difference between a Ferrari Italia and a Lamborghini Aventador is minimal (despite the Ferrari being a bit revvier) yet they sound competently the same. If you could somehow change the way the car sounds that way then it would benefit the game :slight_smile:

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]
sounds slightly more high pitched and chainsaw like, but that seems to mostly be down to exhaust design[/quote]

ok, maybe you’re right about the exhaust design, but AFAIK, all of them use split manifolds and have 2 pipes going to the back and join only in the back muffler, although not sure about 2JZ, never worked on it

and imho all of them have distinct sounds, like i know when there is a BMW going by or a Merc or some Toyota

Some weeks ago I’ve been reading about Igniton timings and how they can affect the sound of the car. Where as more “advanced” timings would create a “harder” not so smooth sound, while a retarded timing would make a very smooth sound.
And yeah… exhaust sound is crazy, you can do so much by manipulating the piping and the system internals etc. etc.

[quote=“pyrlix”]Some weeks ago I’ve been reading about Igniton timings and how they can affect the sound of the car. Where as more “advanced” timings would create a “harder” not so smooth sound, while a retarded timing would make a very smooth sound.
And yeah… exhaust sound is crazy, you can do so much by manipulating the piping and the system internals etc. etc.[/quote]

Can’t say I’ve noticed any change in sound when changing the timing on my MX5, except that the idle gets smoother and faster or rougher and slower. I’m willing to believe you’re right though :slight_smile:

can the idle on the test bench be tied to the ignition timing btw? just asking :slight_smile:

Will there be any possibility to start and engine incomplete? Like without any manifold? It would be an awesome feature to the game :smiley: Just listen to it :wink: youtu.be/OpXwzbZ95hY?t=36s

:open_mouth: I cant say anything but that did some AWESOME!

but seriously that thing sounds better than the Audi R18 TDI E-Trons from Le Mans which were Silent!

Jesus, sounds like a WWII Aero engine (not surprising considering they typically just have little exhaust stubs)

Also, it would be a completely useless feature in the game because no sane person would buy a car with open exhaust… you wouldn’t even be allowed to drive them on public roads, let alone be able to start them up without having the police appear within a few minutes. Awesome? Yes… but not in Automation.

Nothing beats the sound of the Merlin xD youtube.com/watch?v=Et9EtogGJfM

How about this Juno8? :smiley: youtube.com/watch?v=DruAUxV9kaI

I have just died and gone to car heaven :smiley:

what about this a 46L V12
youtube.com/watch?v=2pcRRk0msas

or

youtube.com/watch?v=wJn7LHE83cc

Juno you should stop …

youtube.com/watch?v=Y8tBGppPSTk ehem

Closed it, as this pretty much leads to nowhere now

I think the best way to refine the exhaust system on the devs side would be to section off individual exhaust sounds such as what an individual piston sounds like, combined with the option to select firing orders, this would make where the engine sound options would be much more diverse. You could even keep the sounds you have and cut it into smaller snips of audio. There is a video on youtube where a guy has clickers which all play the same “pop” kind of sound. He arranges them in a desired engine layout, and sets a firing order for each clicker to mock the engine. With such a simple setup he has showcased some very unique and distinct sounds from all types of builds. So put simply a slightly more refined exhaust audio implementation system, combined with the ability to adjust firing order setups would make for two V8’s to actually sound different depending on how they were designed.

1 Like

We have an archaeologist here :o

1 Like

Golden shovel for this man! Also it seems that the info about closing threads didn’t import correctly from the ancient forums.

As for the topic, I think sth as (seemingly) simple as running the engine sound through some sort of an “exhaust equaliser” would be very nice - to make some sounds more muffled and others more pronounced - but I’m totally not going to insist on that. I can listen to nice engine sounds on YT and just accept the in-game sounds as they are :stuck_out_tongue: As a real life example of this effect - both me and my mom have x06 Peugeots (not planned :stuck_out_tongue:) with totally regular, N/A DOHC I4s, but one sounds noticeably lower than the other.