FAAL - LCV3 Run: 1979-1992 FAAL Stemma & Foreia

@stm316 Nah, that would be the brand new BSOD Blue.

@abg7 Thanks! But, not really, the DS/ID had one x) And yeah that’s the kind of quirky Citroën-like design I was looking for in this car.

1 Like

1974 bis: The FAAL Foreia Klinos

Yep. Brand new model. Totally not a Foreia with cosmetic changes which has been given a different name to try and reset the market. Move along. You’re fired, Jean-Martin. It’s the second time in this topic, maybe you should watch your mouth.

Joke aside, as explained before, FAAL had planned a brand new model, more luxurious than the Foreia, which was going to be called KLINOS. Alas, the fuel crisis happenned. But the trademark on the name has been put, and the marketting department was expecting something.

So FAAL took a gamble and rebranded their own brand new car, the mk3 Foreia.

The treatment was subtle but efficient: New grilles, new foglights, and the badge moved on the hood for the front…

And a straight exhaust pipe, taillight bar and license plate moved under the bumper for the rear.

Also, the whole plastic trim package turned chrome, and the car was fitted with 16" BUCHS :tm: wheels with 205/55R16 tires all around. Of course, they could be body coloured if you ticked that in the option sheet.

… Oh, and how could I forget to mention? It’s rear wheel drive.
On open diff, but still a nice, old fashioned RWD. And for a simple reason: The 236S engine that was fitted in the car simply didn’t fit with the FWD transaxle… So, yeah. RWD it is, so we can push the engine a little bit further towards the driver.

At lauch, the Klinos had only one trim level: GLS, with only one engine. A 236S that had to be de-stroked to 2.2L to keep a reasonably high redline with hypereutectic cast pistons. Emission control is no joke, I’ll tell you hwhat.

That single trim obviously included the latest revision of the cloud-like, self levelling hydropneumatic suspension, as well as the latest top-notch safety options, bolstered leather seats with adjustable headrests and a high quality 8 track car stereo. For the first time, power windows were also an option, front and rear.

Engine specs: 236S22

With all of this, the Klinos weighed 1270kg for 101hp, killed (gently) the 0 to 100km/h in 12.7s and topped out at 174km/h. Not much, but… we’re getting there. FAAL had things in development that could make up for that lack of perfs in the near future.

Sure, it did all that while downing 14.7L/100km of fuel but… Klinos buyers didn’t really care about that, did they.

Next up: Making the best of the scraps: The FAAL Ochlosia.

Oh wait no, Mk3 Mesaia first.

9 Likes

Gotta love that Foreia, it has every quirky design cues from the period - rhe trimming to make a sedan hatchback is soooo Renault, as are the taillights, while the front screams Citroën - and the profile screams Austin Maestro

(On a side note it is funny how in the 70’s Citroen made sedans that looked like hatchbacks while in rhe early 80s renault invented the hatchs that looked like sedans with the infamous bulle from the fuego/r25/r11)

I had one of those as my first car. I have to say that the Mesaia reminds me a lot of it in some way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh :b:oi, I never meant this XD I completely forgot about this generation of Kadett XD

Thankfully, this is the post where it’s gonna change. Or not.

1975: Square bois and Survivors - Mk3 Mesaia and Mk2 Plebia second facelift

In 1965, the Mesaia II took over the Mesaia I that was launched ten years prior.
1965 was ten years ago.

Yup, it is time.

This pretty square body is issued from the numerous bodystyle studies FAAL did during the great 1965-1974 era where literally no new or updated car came out. Well… Great, as in long. Even though the start of the era was promising, both the economy and the possibilities were going down the drain as years went on…

I mean…

Y’know what?

Emission Crisis Interlude:

So as I said, the economy and possibilities were both going down the drain, but it wasn’t as bad as what was happening in the USA, though… USA that they tried to conquer, by sending their most buffed out, yet still efficient Foreia, fitted with a 236S23Ce3-US engine with hypereutectic cast pistons that prevented it to run faster than 5700rpm… not like americans cared, heh.

The 1972 Foreia 233L US spec:

Same facelifted Foreia as you know, with white headlights, no license plate support… And thus, the trademark “two grilles wrapping around the license plate” FAAL design cue had to go, too, replaced by a continuation of the upper grille.

Permanently lit blinker repeaters found their way on both side, front and rear. The taillights ditched the amber light and grew larger, covering the entire surface between the license plate and the sides.

And of course, the one and only thing you need to make sales in the USA

With a three speed Prendell™ The car had a top speed of 94mph, did 0 to 62 in 15.4sec… But a pretty poor fuel rating of 16.1MPG (the fact that decimals matter says it all) thanks to the same slushbox that allowed it to sell. It wasn’t an economy car, after all.

And while they were building that, the same year, discreetly, the Plebia 102S, Mesaia 162S and Foreia 234S all got discontinued, because they didn’t meet the emission standards and every attempt at replacing them with the same kind of punch ended up a failure.

RiP S trims, 1960-1972. Press F to pay respects.

… Thankfully, better days were to come when the technology advances.

So anyway, back to the

1975 Mk3 Mesaia, fo real this time.

So yeah, the square boi you saw earlier was set to replace the quirky boi hatchback-wagon looking thing that sold like chocolatines.

“Pains au chocolat”, said someone, threatening me with a knife. He would be right.

No surprises in the styling, except probably those big plastic bumpers, that were meant to lessen body damage. Apart from that, the headlights and grille evoked the outgoing model, the “license plate wrapped in grilles” was still here, and so was that plastic bar between the taillights.

The car was 3.82m long, could weigh as low as 791kg, and was made of untreated steel. It retained the same chassis elements as the outgoing model: McPherson suspension on the front, torsion beam on the rear, transversal FWD engine.
It was available in both 3 and 5 doors variants, though all the press cars shown below were 5 doors. A 3.99m sedan version was also available, even though it had borderline anecdotic sales and wasn’t really marketted.

Let’s talk trims and engines.

The Mk3 Mesaia was available in three trims, that were… not really equivalent to those of the outgoing model. Especially the lower ones.

The base model was the 1.1BL, badged 1.1 only. It came with fully unpainted bumpers, no rear foglights, no radio, no power steering, nothing. As for the engine, that 1.1L unit was a 133S derivative: The 133S11CeUE, developing 46hp and mated to a 4 speed gearbox. To put it short, it’s a stroked version of the engine from the Plebia 102S, tuned for economy. A Plebia engine in a Mesaia… hmpf.
At least it worked, and the car sipped on 8.9l/100 of fuel, while topping up at 134km/h and reaching 100km/h in an agonizing 19.5sec.

Pictured here in the very rare sedan configuration:

The mid-trim model was the CL. It was basically a BL, with factory options that… actually made the car liveable, like power steering, and a radio. Other changes were mostly cosmetic, with half painted bumpers and rear foglights. With no options, the car weighed 871kg.
The base engine was a new 1.3L derivative of the 184S family, the 184S13Ce2UE, mated to a 4 speed gearbox. It developed 60hp, propelled the car to 100km/h in 15.8sec, topped up at 147km/h with a fuel consumption of 9.7l/100. But you could option it up to the engine from the base model Foreia, the 184S16Ce2UE 1.6 unit developing 71hp. Just like you could option up a 5 speed gearbox, nicer seats, a better stereo and more safety options.

OR, you could also have every option box ticked AND add alloy wheels and progressive suspension and get the upper trim: The Mesaia GL.
The only options you could add were front foglights and fancy paints, like the Bleu Lagon Métallisé showed below, because… you already had everything else.
The car was only available with the 1.6L, 71hp engine mentioned earlier, mated to a 5 speed manual. With this, the car weighed 979kg, 0-100km/h in 13.9sec, and had a top speed of 157km/h. Fuel consumption was 10.4l/100, though.

No S model… as I said, every single attempt ended up in something not worth selling… And the car itself relied on heavy marketting, a modern design, and a generous option list to sell, because, well… People were starting to see fuel like they see caviar, at that time.

GUESS WHO DIDN’T GIVE A SH*T THO

PLEBIA OWNERS. THAT’S RIGHT.

1975 Mk2 Plebia - second facelift

A little quickie for this one, because, well… It’s the third time you see that car now.
So, the ole’ 1955 Plebia was still here, and still selling 20 years later (especially during the fuel crisis, OBVIOUSLY) and… Yeah, in fact it was selling so much that FAAL found it deserved a second facelift.
The cosmetic changes were mostly in the front fascia with:

• A new, wider grille with a… somewhat familiar design, I can’t put my finger on it…
  • The updated “plate surrounded by grilles” cue, with rounded edges
  • Square blinkers and repeaters
  • The replacement of the trunk latch by a simple lock-push button… And if you looked closely the pictures of the three last posts, that means that THE 29YO MK1 PLEBIA DOOR HANDLE CAN FINALLY BE DISCONTINUED.
    dllhost_2018-05-02_01-57-33
    #GoneButNot4gotten 1946-1975

As for the technical changes:
The Plebia 81 is replaced by the Plebia 900BL (simply badged Plebia) with the very last revision of the now ancient pushrod 123P engine, the 123P9CeUE. 35hp, 606kg, 8.7l/100km/h, 112km/h top speed and I won’t even publish the 0-100 time.
The Plebia 101L is replaced by the Plebia GL, with… The 1.1 engine from the base Mesaia, just to rub the fact that the base Mesaia ACTUALLY has a Plebia engine. 46hp, 690kg, 9.9l/100 (yeah, worse than the Mesaia. Boom.), 121km/h, 18.2s to 100.

Neither the 101M nor the 102S had following this year.

But if you look closely at the badging on the 1978 model year that is shown, due to fixture errors on the 1975 cars… more is to come in later years for FAAL’s sport car legacy.

UH OH, S🅱OILER ALERT.

7 Likes

Two posts in one day, cuz I really wanna catch up with my lore.

1976: Releasing the research, pt.1: The FAAL Ochlosia

Okay. The idea behind the Ochlosia is that ever since the Mk1 Plebia Fourgonnette went out of production in the mid sixties (Yep, mid sixties. That plank on wheels.), FAAL had simply no true utilitarian options.
Sure, there was the Mesaia and Foreia wagons… But a wagon can only haul so much and be so practical at the end of the day. Professionnals and people who really needed to carry heavy stuff were reaching out to other brands, Anhultz and their everlasting Transportwagen to only cite one… It was time to try and get them back. With squares. And modern tech.

The van was rear wheel drive, front engined, with the engine in between the two front seats and a deported gearing command that sat way high on the big central console/engine cover. No bench seat like in most vans… Sure, you could get three passengers in the front provided one of them had a full Adidas tracksuit, a bottle of Vodka and was called Boris, and get him to squat on the engine cover, but… It wasn’t really legal. And good luck getting a russian dude in France with Germany still being half communist and blocking stuff at the time.

… I think I’m getting lost in thoughts.

SO. The van. Galvanized half-monocoque half-ladder body, to allow for a low loading line and still support enough weight. Regular steel panels. Two sliding doors. Front McPherson suspension and rear solid axle leaf spring. 300mm disc brakes all around, ventilated in the front, solid in the back. Given the shape of the rear, no dual doors, just a big old hatch, with very heavy gas springs, that went way down until the loading line.

The entire black bar and license plate ensemble lifts up with the hatch, as well as the upper part of the taillights.

The Ochlosia had two versions: A fully utilitarian version, with a separation between the cabin and the cargo area, and a people mover, called the Ochlosia Camper

… Or… the Camper Ochlosia, as the badging suggests, idk. People just called it the camper.

For some reason, the van variant was offered with a fully glassed version… and for some reason² that’s the configuration the press car is in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Van was motorized by a single engine to make it as cheap to buy and to maintain as possible: The 1.8 184S18Ce2UE that had been in the top trim mk3 Foreia for two years now. At 85hp it didn’t look like much BUT, a newly designed 5 speed gearbox with very wide gears and a very, VERY short first gear made up for that, and allowed the van a carrying capacity of 1700kg and a towing capacity of 1400kg. For a van with a dry weight of around 1250kg.
The price to pay was an engine that was absolutely screaming at 4100rpm at 120km/h… And get that, the engine is right NEXT to you when you’re driving. Needless to say the Ochlosia wasn’t a highway van.

Amongst other specs, you get a 150km/h top speed (dry, of course), a 14sec 0-100km/h and 14.5L/100km.

The Ochlosia Camper now, that’s another story.
This van was open cab all the way to the trunk, only available in fully glassed version. It had hubcaps, chrome bumpers, a chrome grille, chrome door handles and optional foglights. Not to mention extra paint options. You could even get a quirky looking spare wheel holder on the tailgate… which of course, meant heavier gas springs.

The five speed option was retained, but tuned towards drivability rather than towing capacity… And more, it was mated to the 2.2 sixer 236S22Ce3UE from the Klinos.

The goal with that van / people mover thingy is that it was made to do whatever you wanted on the inside. But it came with two three-seats benches, fully removable, that would leave a flat floor when removed, and a 8 seater registration. What you did with those benches, and the space on the inside, was entirely up to you. … Yeah you can see where the “camper” name comes from.

Best part? Thanks to the car-like gearing, the 6 cylinder had only a barely worse fuel consumption than the van variant, at 14.7l/100 and the Camper could TECHNICALLY reach 164km/h and had a 0-100 of 14.5sec.

Okay, that’s it for the Ochlosia.

Seeing what was left in their bank of research, the marketting team saw only one body variant that was interesting and could bring in new markets: A coupe. They wanted it for next year.
The engineering department, though, was deep into developing the future of the carburator… and managed to make the marketting team chill a bit, saying that they could introduce the new coupe with a very fancy fuel feeding technology that could improve both efficiency AND performance at the same time.

Coming next: The return of sports cars and Fuel Injection

6 Likes

1978 - Releasing the research Pt. 2 - The Coupé & Fuel Injection pt. 1

Okay, so it’s 1978 and FAAL just got done with the future of carburators.
Two versions:
-an o2 sensor boi with a single injector meant to replace a carburator on the cheap… paradoxally with a very fancy 70s spec ECU
-a more expensive mechanical fuel injection with a multiport layout and weird tray thingy.
The two managed to get released together, while a fancier multiport EFI setup was awaiting better technology to get released… So, the complicated mechaboi will have to do or most engines, while the single point carb-replacement EFI setup was meant for three cylinder engines only.

But first of all, FAAL needed to raise awareness of the possibilities of fuel injection, both in efficiency and performance. And that’s where their latest study shows up: The FAAL Coupé

Under the body, it’s… basically a RWD Mesaia. In which any 236S engine fits. With semi trailing arms instead of a torsion beam on the rear. … Which has gone through an anti-corrosion treatment. But… yeah, let’s just say there were SOME Mesaia design elements taken. Including the basics of the front fascia.

The rear, though, was entirely different, with a weird striped plastic bar going from one rear quarter window to the other while wrapping around the trunk, because French Quirks and Renault Fuego or something.

The car was available in two engines: Two variants of the 236S23.
One was a 115hp naturally aspirated unit that was… still kinda slow revving, thanks to the hypereutectic cast pistons, but had the best throttle response of any 236S23 engine, and… of all FAAL’s engine lineup: the 236S23ME
The other was FAAL’s very first TURBO engine, that was also their most powerful yet, the 236S23MTE. It made 155hp and 231nm, which is… quite frankly ridiculous by today’s standards for a 2.3L turbo engine, but was still a good punch in a car that weighed barely more than one ton. Both models were tuned with a generous mix of hardness and comfort, making it a car that was both fun to throw around and still drivable on a daily basis.

(Damn it, whose idea was it to have the press car be RED just like the turbo badge?!)

N/A Coupés had a single trim: CS, that came with four standard seats, an AM radio and steel wheels with hubcaps. A pretty basic equipment that allowed the car to stay at exactly 1000kg. The green one is one of them.

Turbo Coupés had, too, a single trim, that was just badged Turbo. On top of all that is cited, they had an aero package composed of a lip and a small spoiler. That would be the red one.

N/A Performance: 188km/h top speed, a 0-100km/h in 10.1 sec, quarter mile of 17.7sec.
Turbo performance: 200km/h top speed, 0-100km/h in 8.1sec, quarter mile of 16.15sec.

The performances of the Turbo model put the car in only a slightly higher spot as West Germany’s BMW 323i… which had a naturally aspirated 2.3 engine. There was still progress to be made.

Which is good, because those engine were made to comply with drastic emission standards they didn’t necessarily need to. So with this, plus the EFI development, plus FAAL’s still developing new drivetrain options… That car could only improve.

1978 was one helluva year for FAAL, and I’m gonna need to cover it in three posts.

Coming next: Fuel Injection galore, the return of sport trims, and reconquering the USA

14 Likes

Releasing the research Pt. 3 - Fuel Injection, pt. 2: Spreading it / reconquering the US

We’re still in 1978, and we’re far from done.
Because fuel injection going production ready meant the whole FAAL lineup will take advantage of it. Engine updates. New versions of cars. Everything.

The Foreia 1.8 saw a fuel injected version, which increased the power by 12hp: The 184S18ME

The Klinos inherited of the two 2.3 L6s of the FAAL Coupe with respectively 115hp for the N/A and 155 for the turbo.

The turbo version, though, found its way in a new trim.
The almightly

1978 Klinos Excellence

beautiful mesh style wheels. Chrome everywhere. Power everything. Cushioned and heated red leather interior. Sunroof. It had it all.

And quite frankly, the 236S23MTE was more meant for that car than the turbo coupe, as it was much more linear than it was sporty. Especially with the 4 speed automatic with overdrive that came with the Excellence.

0-100 in 11 seconds, 197km/h top speed. That seems like laughable performance, but the Klinos Excellence was all about that comfort, which was on par with premium brands. … That being said, it had a premium price tag to go with that…

The Klinos Excellence was also the flagship of the fleet of cars and variants FAAL sent overseas to try and reconquer the US, now that they had decent engine choices.

1978 Klinos Excellence - USDM

The beauty of FAAL’s engines is that with their hypereutectic cast pistons and general design, they were compliant of US emission regulations. No change was made to the 155hp turbo engine.
The car, though, had a “federal law friendy” makeover, including 5mph bumpers and round uncovered headlights…

Front and rear sidemarkers…

And taillights that got rid of the ember blinkers.
okay that was it for the halo car, but the US also saw cars people could actually buy:

1978 Olympia

Yeah, issa USDM FAAL Coupe. The exact same car, safe for the automatic seatbelts and imperial gauges.
There’s of course those big 5mph bumpers, sidemarkers and USDM taillights.

This is a turbo, but both it and the N/A were available.

And to bottom up the list:

1978 USDM Mesaia

This car was very different from the european model, though, both in conception and in target audience. It was cheaper, yet “sportier”. Think “slow car fast”. See, the problem is that the european Mesaia was fully, one hundred percent built to european standards. Their engines were unfit for the US market, and so were their performance. Miss me with that “unsafe for highway use” sh*t.
So the USDM Mesaia was sold in two trims:

A base model, called simply the 1.3, featuring a 3 cylinder single point EFI 133S13Spi-US engine developing 65hp at 6000rpm that was found on no european FAAL except the Plebia S with like 7 more hp but that’s for another post. The car was sitting on nimbler, lower suspension, but had the same 13" steelies as the EUDM Mesaia. This version was only available with a short geared 4 speed manual. As I said, sportier, but cheaper.

And a more upscale 1.6 CLI, with a 184S16ME-US engine developing 80hp. This was both available with a 5 speed manual or a 3 speed auto because American buyers demographic. Apart from that the recipe was the same, plus alloy wheels and a better stereo and better materials inside.

Tfw I have one more post to go to cover 1978
chrome_2018-05-22_00-20-21

6 Likes

pukes last post for 1978

Releasing the research Pt. 4 - Fuel injection Pt. 3 - Getting lost in a naming scheme by myself Pt. 2 - Despacito Pt. 7: The return of sport trims.

Now, the adoption of fuel injection meant better emission controls. Better emission controls meant the possibility to extract more out of existing engines and still comply.

It’s time to paint some cars in Ginster Yellow again. Starting with the Plebia:

The lil’ bro: '78 Plebia S Injection

The recipe was pretty much the same. Karting like suspension and peppy engine.
Except… way more serious this time.
While the 1965-1972 Plebia 102S only felt fast for a Plebia, the 1978 Plebia S injection felt decently fast for a small car.

It felt fast. But at 23 years old, the body was starting to show its age. Top speed was only 142km/h, the 0-60 took 10.7 seconds. Quarter mile though, at 17.7s, was just on par with the contemporary N/A FAAL Coupe. Whether this is good news for the Plebia S or bad news for the N/A Coupe, you decide.

The engine was a 133S block, bored out to 1.3L and fitted with single point EFI. Just like the USDM base model Mesaia. Except this one had tubular exhaust headers and made 73hp: The 133S13Spi.

So how did it feel fast? Well, the car weighed exactly 666kg. Also, a really really good suspension tuning that made it feel like it had no grip limit. So little understeer it might as well be AWD.
Sure, people who tuned Plebias know there’s a grip limit but that’s only past 160kmh. Which the car didn’t reach stock. And even then, just a little camber tweaking if you get above that and boom. Back on the rocks, baby.

But that’s not the best stuff. Guess who’s also back.

The big sister: '78 Mesaia GTI

The 1965-1972 Mesaia 164S had a 101hp 1.6 184S16DCU engine with a smooth torque curve. This has a 104 hp 1.6 184S16ME engine with less torque, and a torque curve that should have a warning label on it. With the name, the target of this car was quite clear: the Golf GTI, which was the first car to resuscitate hot hatches. Though it couldn’t match it in numbers (9.7s 0-60, 17.23s quarter mile and 175km/h top speed), it did match it in looks.

And the chassis was about as good as the Plebia S. Grip for days with 910kgs and 185/60R14 tyres, and a time extension for funsies with brake discs all around. Brake fade, what is that?

If the Plebia’s days were numbered, the Mesaia’s career was still fresh… and the upcoming hot hatch war will keep it fresh as years go by.

Next up: The 80s - What doesn’t kill you makes you build great cars

12 Likes

To be quite honest, I didn’t like your brand at the start, I’m still not sure about your babbling, but the cars… they are really Frenchie-cool :smiley:

2 Likes

For the record I’ve been waiting to do this post for literally two months. So:

1981 through 1986 - AWD and Group B tales: The FAAL Tetra

It’s been three years since FAAL’s comeback in the sport car market, and people couldn’t rejoice more. From the affordable and kart-like Plebia S to the german-tickling Mesaia GTI all the way to the tail happy Coupe Turbo, any wallet in need of sensations could find its weapon of choice. If sales were only good, the brand image was starting to rise up to a whole new level… which was the goal the Klinos failed to achieve. Luxury wasn’t the way to go.

But now… you don’t build sports cars just for the heck of it, do you? Oh no. Competition is where it’s at. And for that, the Coupe will have to up its game.

1981-1982 Coupe TETRA - Evo 1

TETRA. A word that will surely make the ink flow as the very first French permanent AWD system ever made.
Now, why so much craziness, in an age where every single car made in France is transverse, FWD and 4 cylinder? Simple.
FAAL had been taking a gamble three years ago by making the Coupe RWD, taking lessons from the Germans. It was either going to be hit or miss. And, as it turns out… Hit. People were so glad to have a car that was RWD, and a very well handling RWD on top of that, that they didn’t care about the lack of power and the desperately low redline from the engine. So why not take it to the next level? Taking lessons from the germans again it is.

So the Coupe was for the second time the advertisement car of that glorious drivetrain layout, and the car had been revised for the occasion. TETRA-only design changes include:

• A one bar grille instead of three bar, body painted
  • One piece bumpers, body painted
  • Delightfully 80s box flared wheel arches
  • A plastic wing, replacing the simple spoiler of the Turbo version
  • Appropriate TETRA badging instead of COUPE
  • The FAAL front badge was moved to the left side in an attempt to tweak the design enough to distinguish the car from a regular Coupe even more

The 50/50 AWD system made the car gain weight, at 1147kg, or 80kg more than a regular Coupe Turbo, and as a result, to extract significantly better performance out of the Tetra, the engine had to be upgraded.

The Coupe’s 236S23MTE engine saw a brand new ball bearing turbo and ditched the hypereutectic cast pistons for tough, forged ones (rendering the car unsellable in the US because of that), and the new 236S23MT now made 175hp and 264nm peak, a 20hp and more than 30nm improvement over the Coupe’s engine, not to mention the raised redline and lower peak torque.
With accurate tuning of the 5 speed that could now accept lower first gears, the Coupe TETRA Evo 1 went from 0 to 60 in 7.1s (1s improvement over the Turbo, and no wheel spin at all) but retained the same 200km/h top speed as the Turbo.

So far, the car was already incredibly more driveable than the standard Turbo Coupe, but the numbers felt like wet fireworks being lit. BUT THEN:

1982-1983 Coupe TETRA - Evo 2

During the one year of Evo 1 sales, FAAL’s engineers figured out “Hey, why don’t we combine the o2 sensor boi of the Plebia S and the multipoint layout of our mechanical injection in a multipoint EFI layout?”
As usual when someone makes such a discovery at FAAL, the whole team of executives got drunk beyond decency and wake up three days later after yet another alsacien booze shortage. This was no exception since their newest and last version of the now 17 years old 236S23 engine, the 236S23Mpi, made 23hp and 31nm more than its Mechanical Injection equivalent. With 198hp, 295nm and only 8 more kg than the Evo 1, the Coupe Tetra evo 2 now went from 0-60 in 6.43s and had a top speed of 208km/h.

The front fascia had been revised for the occasion, with a new hood scoop and a wider lower grille. The upper grille stayed the same; despite what the photo mode wants you to make believe, it isn’t blank.

Now the car was starting to feel great. More power, better throttle response, better stats overall and on top of that, better fuel consumption. The Evo 1 kept being sold for a while longer though, to give people more opportunities because the new engine only ran on 95 octane.

It looked like things couldn’t get any better BUT THEY DID.

1983-19?? Coupe TETRA Evo 3 (+ Facelift)

1983 saw the now 5 years old Coupe’s mid career facelift, and with that, the arrival of the successor of the 236S engine series: The 256R.
This new block had a modern 24 valve layout all cramped on the same camshaft and was designed to run with multipoint EFI in the first place. Better air flow. Higher redlines. Lower service costs (though they’re already stupid high for turbo Coupes :t). The engine was also designed to be stoked to 2.5L (though with a very high stroke/bore ratio), but the one that found its way in the Evo 3 was a 2141cc slightly undersquare turbo unit. Why such an odd displacement? We’ll get to it later.

Of course, it’s a Facelift, so instead of listing all the physical changes I’ll let the pictures speak because we’re barely halfway through yet:

The new engine, the 256R21MpiT, had a slightly worse torque than the outgoing one (292nm), BUT more power, 215hp at a high 6600RPM, which made the Tetra Evo 3 a car that you WANT to bring to the redline. Also, first FAAL engine to reach 100hp/L. Traction was starting to show its limit though, and that’s why the TETRA system was updated too, with brand new geared LSDs front and rear, the whole package allowing a 0-60 time slightly below 6 seconds and a top speed of 215km/h.

Of course the regular Coupe also saw the Facelift as well as new 256R derived engines:

The base model is now the 2.1CS, with a 256R21Mpi engine making 126hp or 11 more than the outgoing model…

The Turbo model now has the 256R21MpiTE engine making 180hp or 25 more than the outgoing model and even crazier, 5 more than the Tetra evo 1. Talk about progress.

It keeps getting better and OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS.

1983-1984 FAAL Tetra Tour De Corse (Group B homologation special)

Of course, FAAL wouldn’t dump crazy amount of money in R&D if they didn’t want something out of it, and competition had been their goal from the very start. Their AWD TETRA system was ready and tested out on road cars by buyers who didn’t even know what was about to hit them just like Group B drivers.

Now, to participate in Group B, FAAL had to build a homologation special. 200 road cars that are close enough to the competition car, but still actually sell in the real world. Which is, in fact, why their new engine has such an odd displacement that allowed it to participate in the 3000cc category. Peugeot did it. Audi did it. Lancia did it. It was their turn. Here comes the TETRA Tour De Corse.

The TETRA Evo 3 had seen everything that wasn’t necessary taken off. Stereo, rear seats, extra cladding and unnecessary safety amenities all gone. Despite that, the Tour De Corse only shed 48kgs compared to the Tetra Evo 3 because of the stiffened chassis and wider tyres. The 256R21T2, though, now had an unreasonable 275hp and 330nm, allowing for a 0-60 tome of 4.7s, a 233km/h top speed and a quarter mile done in 13.27s.
The car was highly track focused, with stiff suspension, 235mm wide tyres and virtually nothing but a wheel, pedals, seats, and a crapton of power.

Of course, it only found home in the garages of the most dedicated FAAL enthusiasts and are now highly sought after cars, provided you can find one that is not a replica.

AND IF YOU THINK THIS IS PEAK 80s FAAL WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE THE ACTUAL RACE VERSION

The Group B FAAL Tetra saw two versions: The 1984-1985 season version had the 256R21MpiTR-F1 race only engine making 417hp out of a stock block, and the very last, widow maker 256R21MpiTR-F2 engine for the 1985-1986 season made 557hp with a revised head and tougher internals.

The car was relatively succesfull in competition… and by that I mean almost nobody died in it. As for actual racing pedigree, I think we’re gonna wait for the BeamNG exporter release for that.

TL;DR: Competition is a drug and that was one helluva long post.

16 Likes

TURBO AWD GROUP B GIB AUDI QUATTRO :heart_eyes: It looks like if Sport Quattro and E30 M3 Evo had a child.

And let me leave it here for the mood:

4 Likes

Sneak Peek into the future II: 2015.

It appears that the legend has caught on…

… And so has the racing heritage.

… I mean, if the World Series Touring ends up being a thing, at least.

9 Likes

Loving the series. With the new BeamNG exporter around the corner, are you gonna make some of these cars available to download? I’d love to try the Mesaia 154S :smiley:
Q

Definetly. Not literally two minutes after the exporter release of course, but definetly.

First one I’m gonna do is the Tetra and the Tour De Corse (and in fact the exporter is gonna be a blessing to tune the Group B version properly as Automation doesn’t really have a “hooning on gravel” stat), and then it’s gonna trickle down all the way to the 154S. x)

Oh and also, it appears that the post about the FAAL Tetra was a mistake, and the 256R engine family actually doesn’t exist. I don’t know why, but the archives state of a weird inline 6 setup when it’s actually a shorter stroke inline 5 for the whole post 1983 lineup. brb gonna slap some archivist trainee.

[EDIT]
Old picture of a Mesaia 164S in a late sixties track day, colorized

5 Likes

spicy

1982-1990s: Hatch Wars - Episode IV: A new head

But first, a little overview of a few models we didn’t mention before:

1975-1982 Mesaia Van. 2000L of cargo. Able to carry one ton and tow 850kg with the 184S13 1.3L engine mated to a 5 speed manual.

1982-1988 Facelifted Ochlosia Camper. 255R25Mpi 2.5L inline 5, stroked version of the one found in the Coupe, more on that engine later. The van also had an optional 4x4 system with low gearing and lockable diffs made by a third party company, Steer&Push, making it a great offroader on top of a great ancestor of the minivan.

And now for the namesake of the post:

By the end of the 70s and beginning of the 80s, the competition amongst compact hatchbacks grew stronger and stronger, on all fronts: From the shitbox to the high end posh trims all the way to the pocket rockets, every single brand was trying to one up the other. Turbos, double overhead cams, fancy suspension setups, you name it. FAAL took on the fight with confidence, feeling that the Mesaia, their competitor in that segment, was still avantgarde enough to keep on going another decade with just a refresh.

And, there’s the refresh:

On the front, an all new bumper design, license plate higher up, new lower grille arrangement, and new quad headlights. You’ll also notice the more modern mirrors.

On the rear, simplification of the tail light pattern (bigger light/brake combo, one foglight and one reverse light at the bottom), central FAAL deer logo and new hatch handle.

Simple, but efficient. As for the trims, every single engine stayed the same (in the regular offer), except with fuel injection.

-the 1.1 BL becomes 1.1 BLi and gains 8hp with the updated 54hp 133S11Spi

-The 1.3 CL becomes 1.3 CLi and gains 5hp with the updated 65hp 184S13Mpi

-The 1.6 GL becomes 1.6 GLi and gains 9hp with the updated 80hp 184S16Mpi

The BLi was 4 speed only. The CLi was 4 speed with optional 5 speed. The GLi was 5 speed with optional 3 speed automatic. All around, better performance, better response, and better fuel economy. The interior has been revised, too, seeing the light of brand new cassette players and even ABS on the posh, wool seated GLi.

But the fun ain’t there. Oh no.

This time around, the GTI was part of the overhaul from the start. And it was sporting a brand new 16V, though SOHC engine bearing the same structure as the Coupe’s 5 cylinders: the 204R engine.

It was designed for fuel injection from the start. It liked to rev much more than the now 17 years old 184S blocks. And it had so much to prove. Its first iteration (along a tamer 2.0L we’ll talk about in another post) was the 204R16Mpi in the 1982 Mesaia 1.6 GTI2.

At 115hp and 145nm of torque, it was largely sufficient for the light Mesaia, who at 915kg didn’t have the beer belly problems that some other hot hatchs were starting to have. Looking at you, mk2 Golf. In fact, with a 0-100km/h time of 8.6s, a quarter mile of 16.4s, and a standing km of 30.3s, it was better than a mk2 Golf GTI 8V all around.

But even beyond stats, the car was delightfully throwable around corners, the rear wheel on the inside poking off the road whenever your drivers skill get good enough for it to happen. It seemed, though, that FAAL believed more than the public in a true, sports only car, because the radio was optional and almost everybody bought it.

But the competition kept growing. Every single brand was making better versions of their hot hatches, sold alongside the now lesser versions. Fiesta xr2i? How about a Turbo. 205 GTI 1.6L? Yeah okay but 1.9L. Mk2 Golf GTI 8V? mmmm 16V.

Thankfully, FAAL engineered their new baby with that in mind, and the 1.6 GTI2 became the “lesser GTI” in 1985 with the arrival of the 1.8 GTI:

Visually, the 1.8 gets new wheels, and a body coloured rear hatch panel, as well as a few “1800” badges here and there to differenciate the “lesser” GTI from the “better” GTI that the 1.8 was. Because, indeed, it was.

The car gained 20hp and 30kg, now standing at 135hp and 945kg with the new 204R18Mpi engine. The radio was now standard, but that didn’t make performances worse, oh no.
The 0-100 was now 7.74s, quarter mile 15.78s, and standing km 28.95s. Top speed was still nothing quite impressive at 191km/h, but the mk2 Golf GTI16 was once again trump’d by half a second in almost all the other stats. That battle of numbers still didn’t make the Mesaia 1.8GTI any worse to drive, following the path of her 1.6 little sister it was praised for its incredible handling.

The Mesaia III, with that refresh, was bound to stay into FAAL’s lineup until the end of the 80s. So did the Coupe, and so did the Ochlosia. That leaves two cars left:

• One is a dinosaur from the 1960s that god only know how the hell it still sells: the Plebia.
  • One is a quirky boi from the 1970s whose design is going to stay in the 1970s no matter how you tweak it: the Foreia.

The designers, of course, were aware of that, and replacements are in the pipes for the next posts.

11 Likes

1982-1987: Research costs - The Mk4. Foreia / Mk2. Klinos (Pre-facelift)

Yep, pretty early for an update, but some markets do need updates if you want to keep them interested. It is the case for sedans and high end cars. 1982, it’s time to sleeken the Foreia.

… No, wait. Let’s do even more.

As you might have noticed from all the effort put in their sports cars, FAAL was really interested in competition. That would result in customers expecting cars to handle like sports cars, or at least have the possibility to do so. And as they were drowning in money and potential money from having more models for sale than ever, it was time to dump something in suspension R&D. Which is why the Foreia features a brand new, very fancy double wishbone all around suspension setup. Boom.

The 1982 Foreia’s design is both modern, and in adequation with the rest of the brand’s lineup and historical choices. It was still a liftback. It still had a sleek aerodynamic front end. There was one problem, though: The car wanted to be so sleek that it ended up being unstable at high speeds despite being FWD, leading 6 months later to a general recall of all Foreias in order to install on all models a spoiler that was originally optional.

Despite having a very fancy suspension, the rest of the car was known tech. Longitudinal engine configuration, FWD with optional TETRA AWD. Out of the three engine choices, only one was new: A stroked and bored Mesaia GTI engine brought to 2 liters of displacement and 115hp. The two other engines were the 1.8L carried over from the old generation of Foreia, gone fuel injected, and the 2.1 five cylinder from the N/A Coupe.
The chassis was galvanized, and the car available in two body styles: Liftback…

… and Wagon. FAAL did tame their design choices for the wagon to allow for as much hatch as possible to open without breaking any light bulbs like the previous generation Foreia wagon did.

Now of course, the extra development costs meant a higher price at the start. Which was compensated by the availability to have the most powerful engine available with the base level trim.

Speaking of trims and engine choices:

Foreia :

• 5 basic seats.
  • A steering wheel.
  • Somehow, a radio. Only two speakers, though.
  • Power steering is optional.
  • Power locks and windows optional.
  • 185/70R15 tyres on steel wheels covering disc brakes all around, no ABS, not even optional.
  • Only available in FWD
  • 5 speed manual
  • Engine choices: 1.8L 96hp 184S18Mpi, 2.0L 115hp 204R20Mpi, 2.1L 126hp 255R21Mpi (starting 1983)

Foreia GL:

• Plushier seats
    *Chrome trim around the windows
  • Four spoke steering wheel instead of two
  • Optional foglights
  • Two speakers radio with optional 4 speakers
  • Standard power steering
  • Standard power lock and front power windows, optional remote locking command and rear power windows
  • 195/65R15 tyres on standard alloy wheels. Still the same brakes, but optional ABS starting 1985.
  • 2.0L only FWD. 2.1L FWD with optional TETRA
  • 5 speed manual, optional 4 speed auto
  • Engine choices: 2.0L 115hp 204R20Mpi, 2.1L 126hp 255R21Mpi (starting 1983)

One year after launch, the Klinos saw the same overhaul as the Foreia, and for the same reason: It was still based off of it.

The visual changes include, of course, chrome everywhere, on the side bumper bars, on the B and C pillars, door handles, and on the brand new grilles which is specific to the Klinos. That’s for the front. On the rear, just like the first generation Klinos, the MK2 gets a fancy new four bar taillight arrangement. The whole thing has the same goal as the mk1 Klinos visual overhaul compared to the Mk3 Foreia: Make the car look like a different car to please the upper markets. No RWD this time, every single Klinos gets TETRA.

This boi is only motorized by 5 cylinder engines, and the car retains the fancy double wishbone all around suspension setup, but connects it to the car on FAAL’s trademark high end hydropneumatic suspension, which makes for an incredibly comfy ride, especially with the optional 4 speed automatic. And especially with all the goodies and the interior build quality of the return of the grandaddy of all FAAL luxury cars: The Klinos Excellence.

The most expensive FAAL ever built. But hey, it had everything. Cassette 8 speaker radio, wood trim, heated power operated wool seats… But hey, that’s for the trims and engines part:

Klinos GLS

• Cloth seats, optional wool, optional heated front
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel
  • Four speakers cassette radio, optional 8 speakers
  • Power everything
  • Standard foglights
  • 5 speed manual, optional 4 speed auto
  • 205/55R16 tyres on alloy wheels
  • Engine choices: 2.1L 126hp 255R21Mpi, 2.5L 144hp 255R25Mpi, 2.1L turbo 180hp 255R21MpiTE

Klinos Excellence

• Wool seats standard and specific to the Excellence, heated front standard, heated rear optional
  • Rear central console with armrest
  • 8 speaker radio standard
  • 4 speed auto only
  • Optional two-tone paint, just like the original 1949 Foreia L
  • Engine choice: 2.1L turbo 180hp 255R21MpiTE

Now of course, FAAL kinda lost some money on this much development, which is the reason between them keeping up the Mk2 Plebia (WHICH IS ALREADY 27 GODDAMN YEARS OLD) for another three years, unable to industrialize the otherwise ready replacement yet.

So yeah, next up, Granny retires: The Mk3 Plebia.

14 Likes

Back from classes and I see this… :ok_hand:

1 Like

Five pot + AWD + hydro. GIB :heart_eyes: