Facelift for a Volksmobile (Mike85's Ultimate Shitbox Challenge #1) [closed]

Purchaced in 2000 by one of the largest Fruinian car manufacturers, the Archana Avtomobilny Zavody is one of the biggest car factories in the region. With all the foreign, even though somewhat outdated tech, the company started blooming. However, AAZ has began falling into decay again lately because of worsening international relations and the arrest of Fruinian top-managers who were responsible for the project.

It’s 2018, and most popular Garanda '03 model made by AAZ is rendering completely outdated.
Unfortunately, with Archana’s economy under Gasmean sanctions, the now partially state-owned car factory simply doesn’t have any money for development of a completely new car. The only solution is to create a new trim based on an existing platform. This may be the company’s last shot at creating a competetive car.

The Fruinians have left quite some technical legacy, most important being an Archana Unified Car Platform, a derivative of the [B]0 Global Car Platform (unfortunately, the company has no money to modify that at the moment and they have to use ancient chassis from early 2000s). Among other things, there is a N’n’B family of outdated but reliable DOHC 16-valve engines.

! I sincerely apologize for changing the rules so often. This is my first hosting of a challenge and I get a lot of feedback from other users with advice how to make it better. However, all the changes were to make the rules less strict and add more creative freedom. If you made a car to fit v1 rules, it will not requre any changes and will remain highly competetive in this challenge

Set of rules:
Mods are allowed

Chassis specs:

• Model Year: 2000, Trim Year: 2019

Engine Specs:

• Family Year: 2000, Variant Year: 2019
  • I3 or I4 DOHC, Under 1800 cc

Things to consider about this challenge:

• An average Archanian earns around $7’000 - 10’000 a year
  • 4-door Sedan is the most popular body type in Archana
  • An averege Archanan lives in a crowded city but drives to his country house named dacha where he does a little bit of farming every weekend
  • 1/5 of the Archana roads are gravel or pure potholes, 3/5 are busy two-lane expressways with a speed limit of 90 km/h, 1/5 are motorways with a speed limit of 120 km/h
  • Fuel price goes up in 2019 and will reach $1 for RON 91 and $1.66 for RON 95
  • The car will be offered outside Archana and it must fit into upcoming ECO2020 ecology limit meeting the target average of 100 g/km CO2 emissions (equialent of 100.0 emission stat)
  • The car must score at least 3 stars in AutoNCAP tests (equialent of 30.0 safety stat) for the same reason
  • Archana imposes a tax on motor vehicles which depends on car power (75 - 149 hp is the lowest category)
  • Car insurance is mandatory and its cost depends on car power as well
  • Climate in Archana is harsh but only about 10% of car owners have a garage as well
  • There is a big market of used cars imported from more developed countries
  • Most Archanians never fix their car at official dealer’s either doing it themselves or at a small workshop

Judging:
First there will be a review by the AAZ management board, including Lead Designer, Automotive Lead Engineer, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Marketing Officer. The remaining contestant cars will be then tested through a series of Excel-based challenges trying to simulate typical Archana car use situations (under development now, all the Excel sheets and results will be available for review after Final results).

About tests - there will be 4 Excel tests measuring pretty much every parameter of the car, there will be a point system with points awarded for each of 4 challenges depending on the challenge score (10-8-6-5-4-… points distrubution). There also will be 3 used cars created by me (they are actual automation cars but with price, reliability and service costs stats affected by deprecation), they will not get final score for all 4 tests but they can take away points from actual entries if they are better than your car in any of the 4 challenges so make sure your cars are competetive.

If two cars get the same score within one challenge, the tie will be resolved by car price (the lwoer, the better). Same with total score after all 4 challenges

How to submit and deadline
The car model must be named USC #1 - %username%, engine family as well. Enter the car name under car trim and engine name engine variant. The contestant must leave an reply in this thread with an add for a car (a screenshot and basic description) and send me the car export file though a PM. The submissions will be open till January 2nd 05:00 UTC.
Conditions are subject to change.

4 Likes

no entries to be expected

1 Like

Change #1, mods are now allowed

3 Likes

That was quick

I feel like with the amount of restrictions you have you’re going to get a lot of extremely similar designs.

Can I set the rpm limit on 7000 or have I to stay below it?

This shouldnt be a thing. You are telling people exactly what to build without any room. What for example if people wanna go more utilitarian.

Yes, 7000 is ok, 7100 is not

That is a change #2 since you’re not the only one to tell me this is an issue, I have removed firm body requirements.

2 Likes

Please don’t double post, it gets messy

In the previous rules was there specified that the engine should be an inline four? Because in that case I made a mistake creating an inline 3.
Another question: has the engine to have 4 valves per cylinder or I can choose by myself?

Yes I guess I3 is ok since you have started before I changed the rules to state it has to be I4 explicitly, 4-valve per cylinder DOHC is not a must for you as well then but let’s make sure this passes the tests, you have to have a decent fuel economy, service costs and considerable power output (sorry for the inconvinience) (500 cc per cylinder engine would be a considerable option for you, I have changed the rules to allow it for others as well).
I have made Excel tests for the upcoming entries that will judge engine performance as well as other stats so make sure you have a well-balanced car.

AAZ Wayser

Advanced specifications:
Engine: 1.4L NA I3(110hp, 134Nm)
Suspensions: MacPherson - Semi Trailing Arm
Drivetrain: 5 speed manual FWD
0-100km/h: 9,8s
Consumption: 6,8L/100km
Service costs: $510
Wheelbase & Length: 2,14m - 3,47m
Weight: 1056Kg
Emissions: 87,6 g/km
Price: $7931

1 Like

About tests - there will be 4 Excel tests measuring pretty much every parameter of the car, there will be a max of 10 points for every test winner (10-8-6-5-4-… points distrubution). There also will be 3 used cars created by me (they are actual automation cars but with price, reliability and service costs stats affected by deprecation), they will not get final score for all 4 tests but they can take away points from actual entries if they are better than your car in any of the 4 challenges so make sure your cars are competetive.

If two cars get the same score within one challenge, the tie will be resolved by car price (the lwoer, the better). Same with total score after all 4 challenges.

There was only one submission for this challenge, Traviq_125 obviously is the winner with his AAZ Wayser