First Car Help! UPDATE: Celica Vs. Eclipse!

Hi guys! I’m 14 as of now, and am already looking for a car to buy. After many possible choices (Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, old Mercedes ML, Chevy Camaro…), I finally decided that the Toyota MR2 would be the right car for me. The example I’m looking at is a white 1991/92 MR2 with over 165K miles. Can anyone tell me if the MR2 is a good choice, and how much it would cost to own?

No, no, no! Don’t get an MR car as your first car. Think about why that might be stupid, and how many ways you can wrap yourself around a tree.

Those cars have a tendency to have snap reactions, especially when you lift off.

I would suggest you to have a bad car as your first, one that you wouldn’t mind scratching or ruining the tires and clutch.
And then when you have more experience, you should get a nice car.

Perhaps a Ford Ranger or Ford Bronco would be good. Both are practical, safe, and come with 5-speed manuals… Parts are cheap, they are relatively easy to drive, and they last for a long time. Although it might not look “cool”, I’m sure you’d rather be uncool and alive than cool and dead.

As an owner of a MR2, I would not recommend as first car. The MR2 got handling more suited for advanced drivers, as mentioned above they have strong lift off oversteer and because they are mid engined they want to rotate.

I would recommend that you get something front engined, get a feel for how a car handles (in a safe manner of course), then after some time you can look at MR2s again.

I actually agree with you guys. That was just me being stupid, maybe a Crown Vic or something?

I wouldn’t get a Crown Vic, I would look for a smaller, more fun to drive, manual car.

The manual part is important, because it makes driving more fun and once you know how to drive one, you can also drive an automatic, the opposite isn’t true, however.

Okay. How about a Chevy Cavailer? (I’m being stupid again, aren’t I? Maybe a Celica?)

Well, take advice from a person who is a year younger than you. Logical, right?

Get a gasp Honda or Toyota or something. That way, you can get a cheap bulletproof car first and then save up for something better.

[quote]Well, take advice from a person who is a year younger than you. Logical, right?

Get a gasp Honda or Toyota or something. That way, you can get a cheap bulletproof car first and then save up for something better.[/quote]

Actually, what you say makes sense. When I graduate high school, my grandma might give me her '11 Chrysler 300. Just get a cheap car (Like a Celica or Cavalier) for a couple years, then move up to the Chrysler.

Yeah, if you live in the US, the usual boring but solid choices would include.

-Honda Civic/Accord, maybe even a Fit.
-Toyota Corolla, Echo or Yaris.

Sportier cars will cost a lot to insure. Older cars or cars from more expensive brands will be expensive to repair. A lot of older American cars will tend to break down (compare the amount of Cavaliers still rolling vs the amount of Civics and Corollas from the same years.)

If you can get a cheap Crown Vic they can be decent cars from what I heard, but just because of the fuel consumption I would just go for a Honda/Toyota.

Also, if you live in a place with a real winter, stay away from Mazdas, they have a very bad tendency to rust.

youtube.com/watch?v=s0cO0xgqtnE

Most cars on that list aren’t super great as first cars.

They are more good choices as project/for fun cars.

[quote=“trackpaduser”]Most cars on that list aren’t super great as first cars.

They are more good choices as project/for fun cars.[/quote]

Yes, exactly. Get something small, manual, and FWD or AWD. Unless you buy a truck, which can be RWD without any problems.

I can totally recommend buying a Mk. 3 or 4 Golf Diesel. They are cheap, cheap to insure, use next to no fuel and go decently well, definitely fast enough for a beginner even with the 90hp. Personally, i don’t like mine any more because i find it too boring but i’ve been driving it for two and a half years (and i’ve driven many cars before that) and i’m now looking for something more fun. But as a first car it would be perfect. It’s also very easy to drive, easy to park, easy to see out of and practical so why not? Plus, you won’t have any problems with all the electric gadgets (like you get on newer cars) because it doesn’t have any.

[quote=“Jakgoe”]

[quote=“trackpaduser”]Most cars on that list aren’t super great as first cars.

They are more good choices as project/for fun cars.[/quote]

Yes, exactly. Get something small, manual, and FWD or AWD. Unless you buy a truck, which can be RWD without any problems.[/quote]

In the states the manual part is recommended but IMHO not absolutely necessary. Especially since automatics are more common, although more expensive.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I’ve created a somewhat logical list of good first cars.

Ford Focus

Toyota Camry

Subaru SVX (No.)

Nissan Maxima

Oldsmobile Aurora

Pontiac Aztek (I’m not joking)

Pontiac Grand Prix

Still sticking with the Cavalier idea

Volkswagen Golf

Dodge Dakota

Ford Taurus SHO (Probably not)

Cadillac Eldorado

Here goes my opinion and what I think of the cars.

I would get rid of the sedans. They are dull, boring, just no. Maybe the SHO, it is the least boring of them.
Aztek?? That is deeply uncool. It is only acceptable with you are bald and work with meth.
I don’t like pick-ups, so that is the Dakota out.
Pontiac Grand Prix isn’t the 90s one, the Opel Kadett/Vauxhall Astra, right? That car is terrible, avoid at all costs. If it is the 70s-80s coupe, it is pretty nice.
The US-spec Golf has a history of being unreliable, it was built in Mexico and quality control wasn’t their forte, nor VWs.

After all, I would get the Focus. I think it looks good, it handles well, is economical, spaceous enough. It is a nice car overall.

I seriously recommend against getting a Cavalier or Golf for reasons mentioned above. They aren’t known for their reliability.

If you want a sportyish compact get a 2-door civic. It’s going to be much more reliable and just as fun to drive.

Also, if you want a cheap pick-up, I reccomend getting a Ranger/Mazda B-Series. The design is dated but from what I heard they are fairly reliable.

Apart from that, the sedans can be decent choices if you can get them cheap, but I don’t see much point to get those instead of a more compact car.

Just be careful going looking at Corollas. I’d guess the era you’d be looking at had the 1ZZ, which is gonna get very oil burny if it hasn’t been meticulously maintained. On that note however, how much do Celicas go for there?

If you don’t need the practicality so much, it’s at least got a bit more about it than something like a Corolla, and they handle beautifully. You can have a good bit of fun with them, but they’re still a “safe” setup.