First Car Help! UPDATE: Celica Vs. Eclipse!

[quote=“07CobaltGirl”]

Your First Car[/quote]

Hey, at least it’s a Bimmer… :stuck_out_tongue:

Well… what about this? chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4889633082.html

UPDATE: I have finally narrowed the hunt down to two cars: I removed the Aztek because it was rediculous and someone at my school already has one. So the cars are: 2001 Toyota Celica GT vs 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS! Post your thoughts below.

Celica. Parts are more common, as are mechanics familiar with them. Motors are better built. Also they’re a lot lighter; the Eclipse is a pig. I used to work for a Mitsu dealership and HATED having to move them around.

+1 for the Celica. My neighbor has one.

Celica, because it’s hard to make an Eclipse look nice.

Please please please be careful with a 2001 Celica GT, it will be powered by the 1zz-fe and in 2001 that was peak time for the oil burning issue. I really recommend looking at a GT-S, they have the 2zz-ge which is an awesome engine that doesn’t suffer the oil burning issue.

Don’t get me wrong, the 1zz is a fantastic engine, and can be extremely economical. We ran a 2001 for 110k and it had to be replaced at 86k under Toyota’s extended warranty due to the oil burning issue. As I say though, besides that it was fantastic.

Toyota made several revisions in 2003 and 2005 to cure the issue, mainly revised pistons and a revised block. If you’re set on a GT and it’s high miles look for one with an immaculate service history, or even better one that’s had a later engine fitted already. I’m making it sound worse than it is, it doesn’t affect all 1zzs, but it is extremely common and it’s better than you being disappointed.

On the subject of the original question, as I have said previously the Celica drives beautifully, and would definitely be my choice. Not that I love Toyotas or anything, I’m not biased. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why not an Integra?

I’d say Celica. Good car to start driving in :wink:

I have a Mitsubishi, so I’m not exactly unbiased, but if you can get the older Eclipse GTX in AWD, that would be an awesome car.

But I’d have the Aztek, no matter how many others have them. It is a properly cool car.

I did admit, when Spitfire said he won’t get the Aztek because another kid had it, I totally had this vision of two teenage girls fighting because they showed up at a party in the same dress…