Front Torsion beam Suspension

I am wondering if the possibility of having Front tosion Beam suspension kinda like rear limits trims to FWD , front could possibly probvide compactness for exclusively rear drive cars

Torsion beam would not allow for steering geometry, the vehicle would have to be rear steer too. The closest you would get (that would work) would be solid axle coil in the front. SLA (double wishbone) or (if you must) McPherson would be good and compact. Are you making a FR (front engine rear drive) of a RR (rear engine rear drive)? Either way, torsion bar on the steer axle isn’t viable, just wondering.

i mean most cars i produce use FR or at a stretch MR… i was just thinking it might be a good idea… if not torsion BEAM front suspension… could torsion BAR suspension for front suspension be implemented (yes i am aware both are completely different)

also could you explain why it wouldnt allow for steering geometry, i am interested in the ideas behind it

Same issue with steering, the tie rods would be perpendicular with the suspension swing axis unless you used either a complicated drag link or a steering rack suspended inside the area between the wheel ends basically making a live axle that moved with the wheels through travel. MR could benefit from pushrod suspension, but the torsion on a steer axle isn’t really a thing. You would end up with something like this:

As you mentioned, torsion bar is very different than torsion beam. Torsion bar is used by many 4X4 pickups with the torsion bar located to the cross member, and the lower control arm of a double wishbone. Yes it is more compact, but dampening is weird (unusual spring rate is a side effect of a torsion bar) and a coil spring based SLA accomplishes basically the same thing.

The GMT800 K1500, and the 2000ish Ford Ranger both use torsion bar in the front.

1 Like

Eh well , twas just a suggestion… two of my favourite cars have Torison Beam Rear and another has torsion bar front. Personally, I would like to see Torsion Bar fronts be added, If only to make cars that focus on compactness.

thanks for the response. Much appreciated!

Not a problem. Torsion bar does have some upsides, but at some point you start splitting hairs. Torsion bar is basically SLA, so no need for redundancy.

1 Like

how about the I-beam front suspension of older Ford trucks?

Single I beam is a non-driven live axle. The only difference is shape, a tube is more normal. The twin I beam is admittedly unique, but is basically a backwards trailing arm (leading arm?) with a king pin knuckle, or ball joints for a driven steer (4X4). The I beam part means that a drag link has a parallel swing axis, so the toe remains relative during suspension travel. Yes it is viable, and unique, but is sort of niche (only Ford used it, and not for that long relatively speaking).

3 Likes