Getting a new graphics card, is this one good?

Yeah, I can remember that. Years back, one of the main things that properly got me into programming was when the San Andreas multiplayer mod came out. Main machine at the time had a Celeron M, 1gb Ram, and Via UniChrome graphics. That thing would get me like, 9-12 FPS on lowest settings at 640x480.

so my mom offered to pay the charge for the phone, and the cpu my friend gave me is not a q6700, its a q8300 plus an optiplex 380, and i got some extra cash so i should be able to afford a 950 now: newegg.com/Product/Product.a … gnorebbr=1

I still feel it might be better to get a cheap 750Ti. That, or wait for the 950Ti.

Edit: I’m not saying the 750Ti is better, either.

[quote=“Microwave”]I still feel it might be better to get a cheap 750Ti. That, or wait for the 950Ti.

Edit: I’m not saying the 750Ti is better, either.[/quote]

i’ll look into 750ti prices tomorrow

well i lied and looked it up now, this 1 good? ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GT … 58c4263b72

Yeah, that’s decent. EVGA make the best Nvidia cards, imo. You ought you check the NY Craigslist too, just incase there’s some good deals.

i’ll check it in a bit, i had good luck with Craigslist before (found a fully functional GTX 980 nvidia reference card, asking $50 less than the going rate of standard 980’s, i checked it out but didn’t buy it due to not enough cash at the time)

ok i checked craigslist, nothing really in terms of graphics cards but i did find a single stick of DDR3 ram (8 gig) for $30, guess that’s my ram covered

also that EVGA card, since it was a limited amount left i jumped on it, so now i guess i’m stuck with the 750ti then

The 750 Ti will be good. It can also be used in a new build later, as it isn’t a terribly weak/outdated card. Still stuck with that LGA775 until you build a new one though. The q8300 is only slightly better than the q6700, but it is better. :slight_smile:

Yeah ^
It was a good purchase, it easily runs games on high settings.
Now, start looking for cases. Ain’t no use buying a new CPU and mobo if it doesn’t fit in your case (also, there are plenty cases on Craigslist too).

[quote=“Microwave”]Yeah ^
It was a good purchase, it easily runs games on high settings.
Now, start looking for cases. Ain’t no use buying a new CPU and mobo if it doesn’t fit in your case (also, there are plenty cases on Craigslist too).[/quote]

weirdly enough i actually already have one lol, so far it all fits in the standard case though but i didn’t get the GPU yet, the one i have is a rosewill blackhawk

actually people nevermind, i forgot to check the most important thing, if it would fit, the answer is no, or at least without somehow being able to move the heatsink, why they put the PCI-E slot at the top idk, but all i know is i now have a fancy graphics card that only fits in one of my old pentium 4 machines, so super overkill GPU for a pentium system it is then aperantly

The 750Ti will fit the Blackhawk perfectly fine… What are tou talking about?

The motherboard has the size compatibility, the card smashes right into the heat sink, I do have a teacher at my school who is going to take a look at modifying it for me as a class project (don’t have to worry about him breaking it since he could literally build a whole new one need be)

If you can, send me a photo. This should not be happening… what the hell kind of heatsink do you have?

the stock dell one, because dell has the processor right behind the PCI-e slot, so without modification it will not fit, luckily my technology teacher at school agreed to help modify the heatsink to let it fit in, but another issue i had with the blackhawk is that the dell’s motherboard is not a standard form factor, it doesn’t fit, so i just have to mod the case to have it fit everything in, it fits th card ok but the power connector may be too much but idk yet, and i’d get a photo but my phone’s broke, and i dropped it off at my school for him to work on it

Oh, you’re using a Dell motherboard?
Fuck that, buy one right now if you have money. Don’t waste your time with that Dell one.

[quote=“Microwave”]Oh, you’re using a Dell motherboard?
Fuck that, buy one right now if you have money. Don’t waste your time with that Dell one.[/quote]

unfortunately i’m out of cash, but like i said i’m able to mod it to get it to fit, while not optimal, it’s what i can afford (plus my teacher said it makes a good project for our class), unless there is an lga 775 board that supports the q8300 for $20 or less, i’m stuck with the dell board, least i have a plan to make it work
also if i do get another motherboard i’d probably try to use one of my mATX cases since they can happily take the card aswell, while they are alll from stripped out systems, at least it’s a standard size

[quote=“Microwave”]Oh, you’re using a Dell motherboard?
Fuck that, buy one right now if you have money. Don’t waste your time with that Dell one.[/quote]

That’s what I said!!! :slight_smile: Although, fitting an aftermarket board into a Dell case can be a nightmare sometimes. I have a few here of my own with stock boards because I didn’t find anything suitable that would fit.

Save the money until you can modify/upgrade with good components.