Getting a new graphics card, is this one good?

[quote=“07CobaltGirl”]

[quote=“Microwave”]Oh, you’re using a Dell motherboard?
Fuck that, buy one right now if you have money. Don’t waste your time with that Dell one.[/quote]

That’s what I said!!! :slight_smile: Although, fitting an aftermarket board into a Dell case can be a nightmare sometimes. I have a few here of my own with stock boards because I didn’t find anything suitable that would fit.

Save the money until you can modify/upgrade with good components.[/quote]

ohh that’s what you’ve been saying this whole time, lol, i wish, my issue is that i only have about $20 left over now, i mean i do have a plan to get the card to fit that will work if i cannot get anything else for it, because i have everything else except the board, i do have a lga 775 board but it doesn’t work with the q8300

Q8300 support exists on this ASRock motherboard. Not a huge fan of ASRock boards, but they’re not the worst. A bit better than most Acer boards I’ve experienced, so certainly it is worth a look. The mATX form factor is a huge plus for it. It’s also under $70. If you shop, you can probably find it lower even, but I’d be careful using eBay for motherboards and memory. Speaking of memory, the upside is, you’re probably already holding DDR2 800-1066MHz memory in your current board.

ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 mATX motherboard $67.99

A confirmed list of known boards to support the Q8300 Intel Processor. Yes, the ASRock board is on the list.

Q8300 motherboard list

I didn’t search for every single board on the list, but I can tell you 90% of the ones I searched for are no longer available in retail channels. One of the ones to look for on that list would be the MSI P45 Neo3-FR. Very solid board. Also very difficult to find, so good luck in your search. Well worth it if you’re set on the LGA775 platform.

[quote=“07CobaltGirl”]Q8300 support exists on this ASRock motherboard. Not a huge fan of ASRock boards, but they’re not the worst. A bit better than most Acer boards I’ve experienced, so certainly it is worth a look. The mATX form factor is a huge plus for it. It’s also under $70. If you shop, you can probably find it lower even, but I’d be careful using eBay for motherboards and memory. Speaking of memory, the upside is, you’re probably already holding DDR2 800-1066MHz memory in your current board.

ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 mATX motherboard $67.99

A confirmed list of known boards to support the Q8300 Intel Processor. Yes, the ASRock board is on the list.

Q8300 motherboard list

I didn’t search for every single board on the list, but I can tell you 90% of the ones I searched for are no longer available in retail channels. One of the ones to look for on that list would be the MSI P45 Neo3-FR. Very solid board. Also very difficult to find, so good luck in your search. Well worth it if you’re set on the LGA775 platform.[/quote]

i will look into it, thanks, because the microATX is really helpful, but my issue is that the board has DDR3 in it right now

LGA775 with DDR3???

Now you’re just being difficult!!

Another one from the list of compatible boards. I don’t remember why I picked the other one over this one before. There was a difference, but I’m not seeing it right now. Price is very similar to the previous board.

ASRock G41C-GS R2.0 LGA 775 - $66.99

For being difficult, this board is going to be difficult back. The spacing between the PCIe x16 slot and the heatsink is narrower. (The previous board I showed had a x1 runner between the heat sink and the x16.)

[quote=“07CobaltGirl”]LGA775 with DDR3???

Now you’re just being difficult!!

Another one from the list of compatible boards. I don’t remember why I picked the other one over this one before. There was a difference, but I’m not seeing it right now. Price is very similar to the previous board.

ASRock G41C-GS R2.0 LGA 775 - $66.99

For being difficult, this board is going to be difficult back. The spacing between the PCIe x16 slot and the heatsink is narrower. (The previous board I showed had a x1 runner between the heat sink and the x16.)[/quote]

thanks, i’ll see if i can find one in my budget, if not it’s not the end of the world

i actually had this (findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn … 242011t87/) laying around my house, while not on the list it still has a possibility of being able to work with it on ddr2 ram, only problem with that route is i only have a spare gig of ddr2 floating around, i can try it tomorrow, see if it’s compatible, but it most likely isn’t

ok i got the card in the mail today and i can confirm it will not fit without modification, at least it ppaid itself back already because evga included a $100 voucher for wine, which i find wierd since i spent $99.99 on the card… so i guess i profited from buying a graphics card?

for everybody that told me to go 750 ti i cannot thank you enough, the 650 i had in mind was actually a fake, my friend had it, died after a month, so thank you guys

I’m glad it worked out for you.

I hope your friend didn’t know this at the time he was trying to sell it. =\

he wasn’t trying to sell me the card, it was the processor he was selling me, that’s still going strong, but yeah when he bought it we had no clue

Ah, that sucks for him. :frowning:

yeah, i ended up just modding the case (it fits so far, just need to trim a few extra things, should have it back thursday) for the 750 go i’m giving him the gt430 that was in my PC initially

got the PC back today, getting 10 gigs of ram into it tomorrow, working great, anybody overclock an EVGA 750Ti before? if yes, what did you achieve, and did you use activeX or afterburner?

Is it even worth it?

play’s automation maxed without a problem, overclocks like a dream, and has done everything i asked it to without complaint, so yes, it was worth $130 and a week of work, and for the OCing i just searched around a bit on EVGA forums, and the RAM i got as payment for fixing my cousins laptop

No, I meant is overclocking worth it?

oh, well i got about 10 extra FPS in MSI Kombustor stress test, i just really turned it slightly higher than the FTW edition, if i apply a bios hack i found i can get so much more out of the card