Guangzhou Huangdou Automotive Co. (广州红湖 - 黄豆)

1991 Huangdou GZHD6461/6471 Galaxy Vans (Formerly the GX-Series)

I honestly cba to write anything super descriptive anymore so here we go.

The Galaxy was originally called the GZHD6461; a cabover van with no other intention besides ferrying people and cargo around. It wasn’t very refined, it was pretty cheap, it didn’t even have airbags. The ride would be uncomfortable when unloaded, and the untreated body was very prone to rust. Despite this, the GZHD6461 was affordable, cheap to repair and reliable, which was all that mattered for these types of vans at the time. In fact, the van was so cheap that one would be able to replace one of the main sealed beams with the foglights at the bottom, leading to various sightings of GZHD6461 vans missing a fog light.

Trims

The vehicle came in trims based on length, as every van shared the same engine and powertrain. The GZHD6461 would be the shortest, coming in at 4.6 metres, with the GZHD6471 being the next step, with a length extended by roughly 10 centimetres.

Running gear

The GX was powered by a naturally aspirated 2.0 litre inline 4, sending 112 horsepower to the rear wheels. The van would hit 100 km/h around 11-12 seconds.

Uhh, I guess there was a 4x4 variant too.

I’m already getting bored. Here’s a panel van.

24 Likes

It honestly amazes me how a nearly 30-year old Chinese van can look so good. For what it is, it’s borderline beautiful and another example of an anazing design from you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

2020 Huangdou Galaxy

The continuation to the classic van. Once again I really cba to write anything much on this, but here we go anyways.

The newest Huangdou Galaxy ditches the classic cabover design and replaces it with a more traditional van style. The newest Galaxy is a lot more of a modern touch, and less of a hack-job with its LED headlights and taillights, turbocharged engine choices, and… get this… alloy wheels! No more pulling foglights as headlight replacements, no more premature rusting, the newest Galaxy is a proper van now.

Trims

Like the oldest Galaxy, the newest rendition comes with various trim levels, with a “dually” version shown above dubbed ‘H’.

An L trim was offered for the new Galaxy as well, which had a shorter nose and rear overhang. This would make the Galaxy L significantly smaller than the regular Galaxy, allowing it to suit tighter spaces and the likes.

See? Pretty significant!

Running Gear

Am I already getting bored? Yes I am. I always get bored at this part. The Galaxy is, by default, a RWD vehicle with choices between Huangdou’s signature 1.6 litre inline-4, a larger 2.0 litre inline-4 or a 3 litre diesel, all turbocharged. Transmission choices ranged between a 6-speed manual or Huangdou’s older 6-speed automatic.

Trek

Yes there is an offroad variant. It has a folding table and more storage.

19 Likes

Amazing. There’s literally nothing else to say it’s just amazing.

1 Like

Huangdou Autoshow Revitalization Project: CC & Baolei

Coming soon.

13 Likes

2020 Huangdou CC

Can I just post the pics? HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Updated from its original rendition at the North American International Auto Show 2019 - #38 by yangx2, the new Huangdou CC now reflects the company’s newest design language.

Powertrain

I honestly get lazier by the day everytime I have to write these threads ugh. The CC is powered by engine choices ranging from a 1.5L inline 3 up to a 2.0 litre inline 4, all turbocharged. I honestly forgot my own stats but the power ranges from 150 horses from the 3 pot up to 200 in the 4 pot. The Sport made… power. Maybe around 260? I cba to check.

Speaking of the Sport…

Here it is! The 8 speed auto is replaced with a 7 speed DCT and it’s kinda fast.

Is it still loaded with tech?

Yeah! Look at this cruise radar! The Huangdou Virtual Assistant is standard, with an option-in HUD on the base models. That means the cheesy anime girl stays!

something like this garbage.

Base base model?

Absolutely. Here’s the GZHD7150 beside the livable base model Cu trim. The LEDs are replaced with one big halogen unit, while the DRLs and fogs are replaced with a single projector bulb as well.

It came with a 6 speed manual transmission, most of its safety tech was stripped, your infotainment screen was tiny, there was no center armrest in the rear, your liftgate was hydraulic instead of electric. The benefit? It was $6000 cheaper than the Cu trim. Like the Cu, it was powered by the 1.5L 3-pot, except it offered no other engine options.

Gallery

Might as well.

28 Likes

I think I finally found someone who can make this body look good.

2 Likes

有点意思啊

Huangdou Revitalization Project - 2020 Huangdou Baolei

The first iteration was kinda uggo. Here’s the new one.

Lots of work with new fixtures have been employed. New wheels, a bit of body sculpting, all to make it look more like an SUV and less like a Wuling/Baojun/MG 510 knockoff.

All the running gear is basically the same though. Engine choices range from a 2.0 litre turbo 4 up to a 3.0 litre twin turbo v6 making 197 and 294 horsepower respectively. Drivetrain choices come in either FWD or AWD. No 4x4 here baybeeeeeeee.

Trims are identical too. However, the Cu trim (seen on the left) has been reworked to look a bit more modern, rather than using the old E90 wheels. A panther(ish) edition of the top trim Au has also been created. It blacks things out. That’s literally it.

Expect the interior to look something like this. I’m pretty sure I went over this already.

It may seem like I don’t have much to say and honestly I don’t. Most of the info is in a previous auto show somewhere above in this big company thread. I should be studying anyways.

21 Likes

Completely agree. This van while having interesting placement of the lights in coordination with the body lines, looks very appealing. I’d buy it for a fleet.

Huangdou CC Allure

Coming Soon.

20 Likes

Huangdou Revitalization Project - 2020 CC Allure

Merry Christmas!

The CC Allure is a subcompact 5-seat crossover which is bound to replace the Shijie Sprite. It has been redesigned quite a bit, using the CSR115 entry as a base and this time around, a lot has been revised, from engine choices to drivetrain, and more.

But first, look how tiny it is! It didn’t really occur to me just how small the car was until it was place side-to-side with the rest of the Huangdou crossover lineup.

Engine choices in this tiny thing aren’t the most diverse. The base model uses a naturally-aspirated inline 3 while the upper trims slap a turbo onto it.

Speaking of base models, here it is! Like most Huangdou base models, the LED units are replaced with one big halogen piece instead. Same applies to the rear minus the LED running light.

…and here’s the base and the Au trim next to each other. As expected, they also differ in a bit of running gear. While most Huangdou trims utilize an independent rear unit, the base opts in for a twist beam instead.

In terms of the interior, expect it to be quite similar to the Roewe RX3. The Huangdou virtual assistant is available only on the Au trim.

Oh. Did I mention the sport trim? Now I did. It takes the Huangdou from an original 0-60 time of 11-point-something seconds to just around 8.8

And with that, I think I have run out of things to say, so happy holidays!

21 Likes

2020 Huangdou SPRiTE

Soon.

16 Likes

2020 Huangdou SPRiTE

Slotting inbetween the CC Allure and the CC, is the Sprite - a compact crossover with a focus on driver excitement.

FINDING FUN IN SMALL PACKAGES

With a small form factor and short wheelbase, the new Huangdou SPRiTE provides a tossable package with no compromise.

HUANGDOU REAR TRAILING ARM SUSPENSION provides a sporty feel at little cost and small form factor, to ensure space is not compromised and handling is lively.

1.5 LITRE Di TURBO ENGINE making 143 horsepower sends Huangdou SPRiTE to 100 km/h in peppy times, as fast as 9 seconds (BeamNG tested).

HUANGDOU ACTIVE SPORT STEERING provides tactile and confident immersive experience in steering without added maintenance.

FINDING STRIKING STYLING ON A SMALL CANVAS

Although small, the new Huangdou SPRiTE has been styled to turn heads on and off the road.

HUANGDOU SWEEPING DRLS add style when the vehicle is turned on, providing sweeping turn signaling at striking illumination levels.

HUANGDOU INFINITY LED TAIL LAMPS provide full 180° illumination with ignition and shut-off effects for the premium feel.

HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE COLOUR COMBINATIONS are available, making each Huangdou SPRiTE unique.

FINDING COMFORT IN SMALL FORM FACTOR

Although small in form, the new Huangdou SPRiTE contains the creature comforts you know and love in our brand.

WORLD-CLASS ELECTRONICS in the Changan CS15 Huangdou SPRiTE provide the most high-tech feel possible.

BOSE SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM makes blasting your favourite DJ Nekonyaa tunes easy, with a social mode which plays your music out of the trunk area for events and picnics.

HUANGDOU VIRTUAL ASSISTANT is standard on the Au trim, providing voice-activated commands, weather, and navigation via. Baidu (Asia) or Google (Intl.).

FINDING PERFORMANCE ORIENTATION

2020 Huangdou SPRiTE comes in a Sport trim, for an extra kick in performance.

4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES allow the SPRiTE Sport to stop in record times, with no inconsistencies or hassle.

6 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX or 7 SPEED DCT provides shorter shifting times and sportier feel.

0-100 KM/H IN 8 SECONDS gives the Huangdou SPRiTE exhilirating accelerating sensation.

HONGHU PERFORMANCE SPRINGS makes ride more stiff, responsive and confident.

FINDING THE ONE FOR YOU

Cu Ag Au Sport
Lighting Halogen LED LED LED
Infotainment 6.5" w/ USB and Bluetooth 8" w/ USB and Bluetooth 8" w/ Huangdou Virtual Assistant, USB and Bluetooth 8" w/ Huangdou Virtual Assistant, USB and Bluetooth
Brakes Disc/Drum Disc/Drum Disc/Drum Disc/Disc
Engine 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo
Transmission 6 Speed Manual/6 Speed Auto 8 Speed Auto. 8 Speed Auto. 6 Speed Manual/7 Speed DCT
Price (USD) $16,500 $18,500 $20,500 $23,500

More Photos

29 Likes

I expect this to mean a semi-independent torsion beam - cheaper and more space-efficient, though less comfortable or sporty, than a fully independent set-up. It’s likely you chose it to keep costs down; after all, the SPRiTE is meant to be an affordable subcompact crossover. Speaking of which, the Swift body is a better choice for making such a car than I first thought, and you have just proved it with the SPRiTE’s handsome exterior design. Well done. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if even Western customers bought it in droves.

Precisely. It’s written like so as a fun shot at FAW’s advertising.

Thank you :smiley: it was both surprising and challenging working with the swift body. It’s incredibly versatile for what it is!

3 Likes

Huangdou History Bites: 1987-1996 GZHD745 (Formerly the SJ-Series)

The long-running Huangdou GZHD745 lineup saw significant changes with its model refresh in 1987. Its body was switched off the chunkier American style body to one more compact.

Starting at $10,900, the GZHD745SM sedan was an ancient piece of transportation, with not much innovation involved. A single pair of sealed beams lit the way, while the words “Guangzhou Huangdou” dominated its primitive grille. It was powered by a 1.5 litre 4 pot making 78 horsepower, taking it to 100 km/h in about 13 seconds with the help of a 5 speed manual. Its suspension geometry was nothing exciting either; MacPherson fronts and a live axle at the rear, with neither using roll bars.

Despite being barren in just about everything, the GZHD745 was a reliable piece of work, offering itself as a more compact and easier-to-drive alternative to the mid-size Volkswagen Santana due to its smaller overhangs.

Due to its similarities to the Santana, the GZHD745SM served as a taxicab alongside the popular Volkswagen. Although it was cheaper, it was significantly less technologically-advanced and more unsafe, making it a more popular buy with the fresher and less expensive cab companies.

A more comfortable version was offered with a better interior, a driver’s side airbag and tack-on fog lights. It fetched for a bit more than the base GZHD745, but not by a considerable margin.

From the side profile, it’s evident that these vehicles were much shorter than the Santana.

Trunk space was a bit less than the Santana however. There are rumours that wagon versions exist as well, although very limited in both documentation and production numbers.

And Some Fun

With some resemblance to the EF Civics, of course I had to do something like this. It doesn’t look too bad. If only the oil cooler mod and most of the wheels were updated to Open Beta…

20 Likes

AH SHIT, I EDITED THE POST AND IT BUMPED THE THREAD AGAIN

It’s probably best I show what is in stock for the coming future.

2002, 2007, and 2021 Huangdou SJ

2021 Huangdou Huixing

Honghu’s Huangdou-based Electric Brand - NuclEi.

EDIT: switched these out for teasers because skipping the foreplay is haram

Soon(?)

18 Likes

the 2007 SJ’s headlights remind me of a Crosstrek…don’t ask why

why?

4 Likes