Has Anyone Imported Models from Solidworks to Automation?

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone has used Solidworks to mod the game yet? I’d love to import some of my models into game, but haven’t seen if it is possible from Solidworks. Thanks!

This method isn’t good, because SolidWorks makes solid models, no poly shapes like 3ds max, and this cause that the model had more polys, making performance issues.

I tried importing an STL(polygon model) from CATIA and the results were not very good at all.

It would have taken more time making the imported model nice than making it from scratch in 3DS max.

Bummer… I have played around with 3D Studio Max a little bit, but don’t really like it, lol.

Biggest problem is I just don’t have time right now to learn it… and I’m kinda spoiled by solid modeling, lol.

Yeah, I am already a pretty decent CATIA user and wanted to do a similar thing to what you want to do.

I just found the time to learn it.

Anyway, IMHO, when it comes to more complicated shapes like what you often find for car bodies, 3DS max is fairly easy to use and learn. Much simpler than surfacic modelling in CATIA for sure :laughing:

Yeah, I made a sweet set of wheels in Catia V5, but the car body that went along with it was a bit mediocre, lol.

Which 3Ds Max version did you use? 2009 to 2012 have a lot of bugs; Autodesk’s main focus back then was to add more gimmicks you don’t really need to every release, but don’t bother optimizing or debugging it (blame faulty drivers if anyone calls you out on it). The 2013 Version is good, though, and amazingly stable for such a complex tool.

I don’t remember, to be honest. Could have been 2012. Just realized I can get the newest version w/ my student account, so I’ll check it out again.

Main problem ATM is that you can’t get the student version of 2013 anymore.

So you either have to wait for the conversion to UE4, at which point you should be able to use pretty much any 3D modelling software that supports the required stuffs, or go to your favorite torrents site to find a copy of 2013.

2016 isn’t compatibe with the current Automation engine?

The only 3DS Max supported versions are the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, due the Kajira exporter compatibility.

And all 3ds max versions need to be X86 (32 bits), because the 64 bits (x64) isn’t supported, because crashes and you can’t export content.

[quote=“vmo”]

The only 3DS Max supported versions are the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, due the Kajira exporter compatibility.

And all 3ds max versions need to be X86 (32 bits), because the 64 bits (x64) isn’t supported, because crashes and you can’t export content.[/quote]

shit… i may need someone else,s help to export it into the game

[quote=“TrackpadUser”]
So you either have to wait for the conversion to UE4, at which point you should be able to use pretty much any 3D modelling software that supports the required stuffs[/quote]

Oh… in that case expect some cool fixtures from me when the UE4 conversion is done. At least I’ll have time to learn 3ds Max, just got a student license and the 64bit 2016 version.

[quote=“Manche”]

And all 3ds max versions need to be X86 (32 bits), because the 64 bits (x64) isn’t supported, because crashes and you can’t export content.

shit… i may need someone else,s help to export it into the game[/quote]

Look at the Automation Game Youtube channel, in this section: youtube.com/playlist?list=P … oLzC8VIl5F

[quote=“vmo”]
And all 3ds max versions need to be X86 (32 bits), because the 64 bits (x64) isn’t supported, because crashes and you can’t export content.[/quote]

How is that? Can’t someone with a x86 open an x64 file and export it from there? Does it register the files differently when saved on a x64?

[quote=“PMP1337”]

[quote=“vmo”]

How is that? Can’t someone with a x86 open an x64 file and export it from there? Does it register the files differently when saved on a x64?[/quote]

No, isn’t this.

The 32 bits is the program, and you can run 32 bits program in a 64 bits operative system, but in a 32 bits system, you can’t run 64 bits programs.

The files doesn’t change: are the same, because in my free time at the university, I used the 3ds Max 2014 X64, and I saved as 2011 .max file, and in the house, opened the file and exported, and works well. But using a x64 3ds max to export, doesn’t work (tested by me, because I doesn’t read well the instructions: only works in 32 bits 3DS Max versions between 2010 and 2013.

That is the complete opposite of what he said, vmo.

He asked if someone could make a file on the 64-bit version and then give it to someone with a 32-bit one and use that to export it. From what vmo said, it seems to be possible, if I managed to understand what he said and if he actually meant what the collection of english words he used said.

[quote=“Leonardo9613”]That is the complete opposite of what he said, vmo.

He asked if someone could make a file on the 64-bit version and then give it to someone with a 32-bit one and use that to export it. From what vmo said, it seems to be possible, if I managed to understand what he said and if he actually meant what the collection of english words he used said.[/quote]

Yes, you can.

[quote=“PMP1337”]

[quote=“vmo”]

How is that? Can’t someone with a x86 open an x64 file and export it from there? Does it register the files differently when saved on a x64?[/quote]

You transfer files between the the 32 bits and 64 bits version of 3DS max as long as its the same year, but I am not sure if you can open files from the currently available student versions of 3DS Max on 3DS Max 2013.

[quote=“TrackpadUser”]

[quote=“PMP1337”]

How is that? Can’t someone with a x86 open an x64 file and export it from there? Does it register the files differently when saved on a x64?

You transfer files between the the 32 bits and 64 bits version of 3DS max as long as its the same year, but I am not sure if you can open files from the currently available student versions of 3DS Max on 3DS Max 2013.[/quote]

Is possible, but save as old versions of 3ds max.