Hatfield Automobiles

Reeves Hatfield (1907-1994) - British engineer, car enthusiast, founder of Hatfield Automobiles and Co-CEO of Hatfield European (from 1972). CEO of Hatfield Automobiles from 1945 to 1992.

Hatfield’s story as a brand starts in mid-war time; as a kid, little Hatfield was fascinated with cars because his father worked in Great Britain on various racing cars of that era and he often was transported by family’s Ford T. During his car school he passed it with all marks at maximum possible in Cambridge University in 1926 with his project of racecar with plane engine - Hatfield Aerohawk. This car in fact hasn’t got plane engine exactly, but it had two engines merged in one (which’s second unit was later used in garage-made plane prototype during WW2) which was generating 400 HP and could reach ludicrous speed of 190 km/h.

After that, young Reeves tried to start his own workshop with his dad, but due to death of sir Adam Hatfield-von-Stratton in November 1938 and fact that World War II was ahead, those plans were delayed “to the end of war”.

In 1942, Reeves collected some friends from times before WW2 start and started to realize project Ampega. At first, it was supposed to be cheap 5.8 litre V8 car with lots of possible options to hot-rod it. Final project in 1944 was extremely different; it had inline four 2.4 liter engine with pushrods and single carburettor. It was presented to public in January 1946 and production began 2 months later in New York, USA. It gained much attention due to it’s fuel economy and ludicrous at the time performance - you could outclass any American sports car with Ampega and have fuel economy of european compact car of the time. Sadly enough, it’s design was commented as poor, size as too small and overall the car got hated. Despite this, sales figures in USA were nice to late 40s; from 1951 they started to drop, company started to get loss from american Ampega and despite freshly introduced 4x4 pickup in 1952 it got cut in 1954. Meanwhile European Ampega was selling extremely great from 1949. It had only three variants, but despite this it was selling good even in Eastern Bloc (mainly East Germany, however). The only problem that europeans had big taxes for engine size - 2.4 litre was above border of cheap insurance. In 1960-1962 sales were starting to drop also in Europe, due to outdated tech and body style. In 1963 European Ampega was cut and Reeves Hatfield announced that new Ampega will be available only in Europe and US Ampega will be replaced with new compact, but quite bigger model; it’s name is not sure, but both cars were scheduled for late 60s or early 70s.

I know this story is boring, but I wanted to start side company which for this time posts cars chronologically. Also, I added additional image with basic stats if someone’s not interested that much.
Also I use prices calculated by Automation to make things easier how cars became more and more expensive in the eras, you know.

Tell me what do you think :slight_smile:

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/EqR8cfK.png][/img]

Sorry for typos guys xD

5 Likes