Hilbert's Car Museum, 07 Piaggio Fly, '05 Twongi 🌸, '99 Beemer

For the E120 (the successor to Hilberts Car) in the UK you could spec (only a hatchback, not the saloon or estate as they were built in Turkey, not UK as the hatch was) a Corolla with heated seats, full leather interior, hands-free bluetooth, colour GPS nav system, a 6-disc changer with a 7 speaker system, and all sorts of random items like a coat hanger and parking sensors, which made it very competitive in it’s day

2 Likes

holy shit

And because my previous fan broke, I had to buy a new one!

Sometimes I am genius.

ok bye

4 Likes

Does that fan really make a difference compared to
you know
Opening the window?

2 Likes

Yes. It’s easier to flick the fan on rather than opening passenger side window. And when driving on the highway having windows down gets loud.

5 Likes

Hello! This,

Is steam coming from my sensible sedan.

This,

Is the very same sensible sedan on a tow truck.

And this,

Will be my bank account balance after I pay for the repair bill.

6 Likes

What happened?

2 Likes

It’s a Corolla. You should be able to replace or overhaul everything in and on that car twice before it becomes expensive, imo. It has tons of donor candidates out in the yards if you need something not easily found in a parts store. What’s the diagnosis?

Let me quote Top Gear for a bit

In other words, something to do with the radiator, I suspect.

1 Like

The engine being a 1.4, since that’s not a stateside engine I can’t get precise but the two engines we have (1.6 and 1.8) both only take 1.3hrs to r&r the rad. The part brand new is a few hundred, but you could definitely get a reman.

Now, if you keep driving it…yeah then it gets spendy real quick.

Right. It was some rubber sealing that got bad and started leaking coolant. Now, from one problem to another,

Why do my exhausts always break???

At that age, probably best to replace all the hoses and seals. I’d do the thermostat too for good measure.

1 Like

Yes and get some ospho on that rust stat!

Exhaust is cheap, check the catalytic converter for a clog while in there. Why do you break exhausts? Does your drive include a nasty break over spot like a speed hump?

Everything is cheap when you’re not working minimum wage lol

5 Likes

The parts themselves are usually pretty cheap. I cobbled together stuff like that all the time when I was delivering pizzas in my old $500 auction specials.

Its a 1.3, not a 1.4 - We got utterly different engines to over there.

Actually, the Starlet with the same 1.3L 4E-FE engine was called 1.4 EcoTronic. However in any other Toyota model, it was called 1.3.

3 Likes

Odd, seems to be a Finnish thing only

Interesting, the Starlet didn’t even come with a 1.4 but it’s weird that Toyota would add a 1.4 EcoTronic text on the side just for Finnish markets

100097820868__01__01

Right there under the turn signal. Couldn’t find s high resolution picture.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a Finnish-only thing but it did probably vary by region. It was also marketed as 1.4 here with the same decal.

From a local dealer’s website (archived from 1999):

“1.4 4cyl 16v DOHC 1332cm²”

I guess they just rounded it up to convince the average buyers that it was competing with the 1.4 versions of the Polo, Corsa etc.

5 Likes