Honda Indy V8

So, I tried to make the 2007 era Honda V8, that was used in Indy Series, but unfortunately the game will not quite let me do it. This is the closest I can get:

The real specs:

Specifications:
Type: Aluminium alloy cylinder block V8
Manufacturer: Honda Performance Development
Designation: HI7R
Configuration: V8 engine, 90° cylinder angle
Displacement: 3.5 L (3,500 cc; 214 cu in)
Valvetrain: 32-valve dual-overhead cam (DOHC)
Bore diameter: 93 mm (4 in)
Aspiration: Normally aspirated (no turbocharger)
Weight: Minimum dry weight is 280 lb (127 kg) - no headers, clutch, ECU, spark box or filters
RPM: 10300 (rpm) maximum (league-supplied rev limiter)
Power output: 650-670 hp (485-500 kW) depending on push to pass mode @ 8000-10300 rpm
Torque: Approx. 430 N·m (317 ft·lbf) @ 8000 rpm
Fuel: 100% fuel grade Ethanol provided by Sunoco
Crankshaft: Alloy steel, 5 main bearing caps
Pistons: Forged aluminium alloy
Connectiong rods: Machined alloy steel
Lubrication: Dry sump
Oil vendors: PEAK Antifreeze, Pennzoil, Mobil 1 (Team Penske)
Cooling: Single water pump
Injector: Electronic
Battery: Bosch 12 volts
Spark Plugs: NGK
Engine management: Motorola
Ignition: CDI

The first issue hindering my attempt is I cannot get the Bore/Stroke right as the game won’t let you seperate them enough to get the right 3500cc with a 93.0 mm Bore. You can only get the stroke down to 68.9mm, and then it drags the bore down with it. So, all you can get is 93.0 x 68.9 = 3744 cc. The closest you can get to 3500cc with the forced max ratio is 90.9 x 67.5 = 3501cc.

As you can see, I can’t quite hit the 650 HP sweet spot. And, since I am hitting the max HP @ 8800RPM, there really isn’t a point to having a 10,000RPM rev limit.

Can anybody get any closer to real world spec and performance? I’m just curious.

With a 3.5 liter engine you can get up to around 610 hp in Automation. Sounds reasonable enough for a game not focussed on racing engines. The most important thing which is at its limits is the cam profile setting (100). With a wider range there it would be possible to get closer values. But all the normal car engines would be totally messed up then, the slider is calibrated to work properly for most production cars.

Peak power of the real engine probably isn’t at 10300 RPM either (probably in the 9500 RPM region). With a setting of the rev limiter higher than peak power you get a wider useful power band.

You also have to consider the fact that Automation does not quite have fuel with the octane levels required to run the compression ratios that high-end racing engines use. Thus(along with a variety of other factors that would take a while to point out) making it impossible to get a 100% spot on representation of a Formula/Indy type engine.

What Der Bayer said also comes into play. Because open-wheelers generally aren’t designed to operate at normal RPM levels, their engines have incredibly high cam profiles.
You should however find that more reasonable 60’s/70’s Formula engines are actually fairly recreate-able.

Darn you guys and your well thought out and explained reasons.

Oh well. I may have to see about cloning some good old 60s-70s Lotus racing engines then.

:smiley:

Thanks for the replies!