Hot Hatch Cup - Race 2 Results!

ENTRIES FOR THE HOT HATCH CUP ARE CLOSED - 19 entries in total

The goal of this tournament is to make the fastest little hot hatch you can, (on a budget). Try and make sure your car is well rounded, as it will have to perform well on a variety of tracks.

[size=150]- Regulations -[/size]

Tech year for both the body and engine is 1999

Tech sliders are locked at 0 for tires, interior, and safety.

[size=125]Body and Chassis[/size]

Must be a hatchback, (obviously)
Wheelbase of 2.5m and below
No limitations on Chassis type or chassis material
No limitations on engine placement, and therefore no limitations on drive type; RWD, FWD, AWD are all allowed
No polymer
The car must be road legal, i.e. have lights, door handles, etc…

[size=125]Engine[/size]

Maximum displacement - 1400cc NA or 800cc Turbo
Engine type is not limited, so if you feel like making a tiny V8, go for it!
Must have a catalytic converter
Fuel economy equal to or better than 8km/l, (or 12.5l/100km)
No VVL
5 valves per cylinder are not allowed
Must use unleaded fuel, up to Premium - 95 octane
No carburetors, but I really doubt anyone would use those for this challenge
Engine reliability must be at least 50
Mufflers ARE NOT required
Production units under 300
Material cost is not limited, but make sure to leave something for the car!

[size=125]Trim[/size]

Manual gearbox only - number of gears is up to you
Geared LSD is compulsory
Semi-slick tires only, wheel dimensions/material are not limited. No quality adjustments allowed
Stopping distance from 100-0 km/h must be in under 36 meters
No restrictions on aerodynamics
The car must have only 2 seats
No driver assists are allowed
The car must have at least standard safety
No suspension restrictions

Overall vehicle cost must be under $12,000

Overall production units must be under 500

[size=125]Tracks[/size]

Race 1
Circuit de spa - Francorchamps

[size=125]- Race Results -

1st - Asdren - 10 pts; Fastest lap - 3:05:17 - Total time: 37:17:92
2nd - Strop - 8 pts; Fastest lap - 3:04:99 - Total time: 37:17:93 (I honestly couldn’t believe how close this was).
3rd - Luilakkie - 6 pts; Fastest lap - 3:06:00 - Total time: 37:23:11
4th - koolkei - 4 pts; Fastest lap - 3:05:63 - Total time: 37:26:77
5th - Nialloftara - 2 pts; Fastest lap - 3:06:23 - Total time: 37:30:03
6th - iRaptor
7th - NOAH
8th - JasonPoland
9th - Madrias
10th - Sebesseg
11th - Lenraj
12th - TheColoredCow
13th - Rossriders
14th - Klinardo
15th - Richard117
16th - sillyworld
17th - Smokiegun
18th - Cobaltgirl
19th - MadamVastra

• -[/size]

Race 2
Silverstone circuit

[size=125]- Race Results -

1st - Asdren - 10 pts; Fastest lap - 2:34:10 - Total time: 30:44:44
2nd - Strop - 8 pts; Fastest lap - 2:34:99 - Total time: 30:49:87
3rd - Luilakkie - 6 pts; Fastest lap - 2:34:71 - Total time: 30:51:34
4th - koolkei - 4 pts; Fastest lap - 2:35:53 - Total time: 30:59;61
5th - iRaptor - 2 pts; Fastest lap - 2:35:27 - Total time: 31:03:01
6th - Nialloftara
7th - Madrias
8th - NOAH
9th - JasonPoland
10th - Sebesseg
11th - TheColoredCow
12th - Lenraj
13th - Richard117
14th - Rossriders
15th - Klinardo
16th - sillyworld
17th - Smokiegun
18th - MadamVastra
19th - Cobaltgirl

• -[/size]

Quite similar results to the first race, some minor positional movement up top, however mostly everyone remains within 1 or 2 places. For now.

Race 3
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca -flying lap

Race 4
The Sachsenring - flying lap

Race 5
Top Gear test track

1st place - 10 points
2nd place - 8 points
3rd place - 6 points
4th place - 4 points
5th place - 2 points
6th and beyond - 0 points

The one with most points at the end wins.

[size=135]The second race is over! Results for race 2 have been posted above![/size]

(Thank you to 07CobaltGirl for the tracks).

[size=125]Accepted Entries[/size]
Madrias
JasonPoland
Smokiegun
Richard117
Asdren
Lenraj
Luilakkie
Nialloftara
MadamVastra
koolkei
TheColoredCow
Strop
Klinardo
NoahC
Sillyworld
Rossriders
07CobaltGirl
Sebesseg
iRaptor

Just a couple of questions.

-No Multi Link. Why?

-Aerodynamics Limited to 1 wing and 1 lip. There is a vanilla system for wing limits. This seems a little unnecessary.

-Matieral cost for engine- 2000$. I recommend you remove this, as I think competitors should be allowed to spend the budget money any way they want.

Also, the “No tech sliders above or below 6” is limiting the diversity of your own competition. I think it should be as diverse as possible.

Regarding the multi-link suspension, the reason is purely based on the fact that it will drain production units from other parts of the vehicle, which I suppose is a crappy reason. I’ll just get rid of that.

The aerodynamics part is just there for the sake of being there I suppose, no harm done, right?

The engines are in this case going to be very small, up to 1.4L, its going to be very, very difficult to push them up to $2000, so I guess it is somewhat redundant as a limit.

I really don’t see how limiting the tech sliders to ±6 is going to have a huge effect given that the budget is set at $12k and production units are limited to 300. That being said, I am more than willing to raise the budget/production limit along with the tech slider limit.

I am preparing a Not-a-panda contender that could be described as a little devil

Just for information: 8km/l equates to 22.6 MPG [imperial] or 18.8 MPG [USA]. :slight_smile:

Oh trust me, with this budget you can do a lot with the tech sliders. Restricting it to PU 300 is the more restrictive option. Given we don’t have engineering costs modelled yet, the net effect of this measure is to effectively restrict how much engineering you can cram into the car, particularly tyre and aero wise. But you also stipulated no negative tech in interior etc. So I would recommend opening it up a bit since having multiple tiers of restrictions can inhibit choices more than one intended.

The main tech slider that might need to be restricted is tyres, as that plays a large role in track times and if you want to quickly level the playing field you’d really clamp down on the tech there. That’d also have the effect of freeing up the budget for other things otherwise I’ll tell you now that most veterans will bump it up as much as they can!

[quote=“strop”]

Oh trust me, with this budget you can do a lot with the tech sliders. Restricting it to PU 300 is the more restrictive option. Given we don’t have engineering costs modelled yet, the net effect of this measure is to effectively restrict how much engineering you can cram into the car, particularly tyre and aero wise. But you also stipulated no negative tech in interior etc. So I would recommend opening it up a bit since having multiple tiers of restrictions can inhibit choices more than one intended.

The main tech slider that might need to be restricted is tyres, as that plays a large role in track times and if you want to quickly level the playing field you’d really clamp down on the tech there. That’d also have the effect of freeing up the budget for other things otherwise I’ll tell you now that most veterans will bump it up as much as they can![/quote]

Point taken, I made some changes to the regulations that should make a bit more sense than what I had before. That aside I think I should stop making amendments as I received an entry already, so it wouldn’t be fair to those who submitted already.

Also, would anyone mind if I entered my own car in this competition? I know it sounds a bit odd, but I guess I wanted everyone’s opinion before I did anything stupid.

I dont mind if you enter but I think you should not be eligible for points, it can participate but not be able to win. Think of it as the benchmark car.

I can agree with Blasters. A benchmark car is a good thing, but if it’s actually in it for points, it’s like playing with a stacked deck. You know exactly what your challenge is about and you have insider information on our cars. We’re running blind against one another, building the best we can under the rules we’re given.

That being said, I have no problem with a benchmark car in the challenge.

That’s what I was considering, (a benchmark car). I wouldn’t enter for points. I’ll post the car as an example for everyone, and the download links for the tracks.

Benchmarks are the standard practice when entering your own tournament… however you’re under absolutely no obligation to actually post your benchmark! As to whether or not it skews the entries is another question.

I’ll be entering something, but I have some skepticism about my impressions of the balance of the simulation, particularly how drivability is calculated now, and its impact on non-AWD cars… maybe this will help me find out what they are.

P.S. So there is no tech on the tyres, which I think is fine. What about tech on interior and safety? Has that been dispensed with?

P.P.S lol I can’t read. I just saw they were all locked to 0, all good!

Here are the links for the tracks:
automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4450
automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4449
automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4476
automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5755

As for the benchmark car, the only bit of info that I’m willing to share at the moment is that it laps the top gear test track in 1:26:49, it has a total cost of $11,973 and the production units are 305.84. I’ll share some more info on the car at a slightly later date :smiley:

I’ve not yet 100% finalised the tuning, but do believe my car will look something like this:

While lower than the kind of outputs I like playing with, one can get not insigificant donk from tiny powerplants, which, when coupled to a car not much heavier than a grand piano, results in something potentially quite fun. I nicknamed this one “Drake”, because it’s going to sound like an angry duck buzzing around the circuit.

Ever wonder what happens if you put lots of power into a regular, mundane Eco-Hatch?

That. That is what happens. You unleash a Demon.

hahahaha omg the face.

I do NOT want to see that in my mirrors!

I’ve learned I have more fun in racing challenges if I just don’t take things too seriously. So yeah, an eco-car with too much power suddenly goes from a ‘gentle, friendly smile’ to a ‘road-raging speed demon, snarling at any car that dares to outrun it.’

Granted, knowing you, Strop, you’ll be seeing that thing in your mirrors. Hopefully whoever’s driving your car isn’t too easily shaken.

It seems that Strop and i had the same idea.

When Fiat 126p is drunk

would overall costs include what’s shown on the market’s section?

I ask since prior to posting, I had trimmed to right at $12,000 for my would be entry (so far) in regards to how it’s priced when it’s under the market section. But also given with the body I’ve worked with and what I’m aiming for, unless there’s something else I’m not following. F

Far as I know, no sliders on the body or trim (or rather interior), but I don’t see any thing regardling sliders with engines. But I guess my priorty question is what you mean by ‘overall costs’ or should I just disregard the market’s pricing altogether?

To be honest though, not sure if I’ll bother much but…screw it, may as well at least throw it out there and see how it’ll do.

Still working things out far as looks goes, but…whatever.

[quote=“Rossriders”]would overall costs include what’s shown on the market’s section?

I ask since prior to posting, I had trimmed to right at $12,000 for my would be entry (so far) in regards to how it’s priced when it’s under the market section. But also given with the body I’ve worked with and what I’m aiming for, unless there’s something else I’m not following. F

Far as I know, no sliders on the body or trim (or rather interior), but I don’t see any thing regardling sliders with engines. But I guess my priorty question is what you mean by ‘overall costs’ or should I just disregard the market’s pricing altogether?

To be honest though, not sure if I’ll bother much but…screw it, may as well at least throw it out there and see how it’ll do.

[attachment=0]hothatch draft.png[/attachment]

Still working things out far as looks goes, but…whatever.[/quote]

The cost thing is for the total material and engineering cost of the car, not what it costs to purchase, (why would I ask for the market price? Seems like a really random thing to do :open_mouth: )