Hot hatches thread

When you need a new starter car for your street racing game
Bramhall Vixen VSi

7 Likes

This is the Sakura 200-R, the hot version of the popular kei car. This version doesn’t fall on the kei car category due to its DOHC 1L 3 cylinder engine that develops 107hp.

2 Likes

My brain turned sideways trying to understand this thing. A tiny car, but with a hand made interior, but meant to be a hot hatch, but with a 3 speed transmission, it all contradicts internally, very hard. Also monstrous power for a '65 hatch, not even big or huge. The first M3, over 20 years later, had a bit less power, and that was quite a wild car back then.

Truly excessive for 1965 - unrealistically so, in fact. Seriously, who on Earth would have even thought of giving such a tiny car from that era that much power, and make its interior more lavish than most contemporary luxury cars to boot? Especially since the end product is going to be hopelessly expensive to buy, run and maintain, while also being woefully unsafe to drive even at low speeds. In short: utterly ridiculous.

The tyres are indeed medium compound, the sway bars are indeed passive, but the hydraulic PAS is not variable. The 6-speed 'box is more for bragging rights than anything else.

1 Like

1967 RAUK-Olsson 97
by @Knugcab and @ACoolCrab

This, folks, is one of the first examples in history of a “hot hatch”.

After RAUK had finished the engineering of their mid-engined PM4, using the engine from the Olsson 67, they knew that engine from the inside and out. But what were they supposed to do now? The PM4 was now ready for production, the “RAUK 80” project resulting in the trio of models released in the mid 70s that was supposed to take RAUK into the 80s was still some years away, and the PM4 had not been cheap to engineer. There was a need for some fresh money from the outside.

Since they already had a finished engine, they took an Olsson 67 and put the engine from the base model PM4 into the engine bay (since it was the same base engine and bolted straight in). Power output was raised to 97 hp from 67 by a good port and valve job, hot camshaft, raised compression, a single DCOE carb, tubular header and a slightly larger exhaust system. That’s how it got its new name, the RAUK-Olsson 97. Also, the front brakes was upgraded with 2 piston calipers and heavy duty brake pads, the wheels were replaced by Minilite magnesium wheels with sports compound radials that was 165 mm wide instead of 145. Suspension was tweaked to maximize the handling without sacrificing comfort and to reduce the understeer that was found in the original 67. For better acceleration, there was a 5 speed transaxle instead of 4.

On the outside, it was painted in Olsson “Tävlingsgul” but had blue striping as a homage to the Swedish flag. There was a front spoiler lip and a pair of foglights. Mirrors was replaced with bullet type units. The interior now had sports bucket seats, a centre console with tachometer (a placement that recieved some criticism) and some switches for auxilliary equipment, a wood rimmed sports steering wheel and the radio was replaced with a simpler unit to save weight.

After working on the project secretly, the car was shown for the officials at Olsson Personvagnar AB and RAUK offered to make this conversion in a limited number. A project that got green light after mainly some tweaking with the exhaust system (that was mostly thrown together with no thoughts of aesthetics on the prototype) and slightly more street friendly brakes.

And one of the pioneers among hot hatches, probably without anyone at either RAUK or Olsson thinking about that at all in 1967. Though being built in quite limited numbers, but still an important milestone in the partnership between RAUK and Olsson.

OLSSON 67 - RAUK-OLSSON 97
Power: 67 hp@5300 RPM - 97 hp@6500 RPM
Torque: 105 Nm@2700 RPM - 121 Nm@4900 RPM
Top speed: 164 km/h - 183 km/h
0-100: 14.2 s - 9.9 s
80-120: 11.1 s - 7.32 s
Quartermile: 19.62 s - 17.34 s
Skidpad rating: 0.73 G - 0.97 G
Braking 100-0: 47.2 m - 38.4 m
Fuel economy: 8.7 l/100 km - 13.2 l/100 km
Weight: 907 kg - 874 kg

13 Likes

Looks like a Renault 16, really cool :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Zastava Yugo 1.8T
By @TheYugo45GV

There was once a little car that was exported to America, it was disliked by many and became the butt of jokes. The little car said to itself, “They might laugh at me and say I am slow or make fun of my simple looks, but, I will show them.” Time went on and times changed, small economical cars were becoming all the rage and the little car decided he should change…

The Yugo, was a terrible car for American standards and many thought that the new Yugo would be just as bad. So, when it hit the markets in 2002 the Yugo was instantly shunned and barely anyone bought one, reviewers and car magazines were skeptical and did not trust this “new” Yugo. But, at the same time, they were intrigued. So, when I hopped behind the wheel of the Yugo 1.8T, I was genuinely surprised at how the interior looked. Of course the previous Yugo’s interior was a hideous brown color and had barely anything inside but what this new Yugo took, or should I say, added, has made the car a million times better. As I sat down on the driver’s seat, I immediately noticed how much more comfortable it was than the original. The seat was made of leather which was very well stitched together and had lovely orange accents making the seat much more of an event to sit in. I then looked around the interior, and to my surprise found that it came standard with heated seats (Of course, Its the top of the line model what did I expect), a CD player, AM/FM radio, a heated steering wheel, A/C, and integrated garage door opener. Fully loaded it seems. I then went to look at the options sheet on the base level Yugo 1.4 and was flabbergasted that it too came with standard heated seats, AM/FM, CD player and A/C.

The little car was rather spacious, for me (I’m 6ft/1in). In the back there wasn’t a huge amount leg room but that is to be expected.

The engine as stated in the pamphlet is a 1.8 liter turbo charged 4 cylinder and it produces 211 horsepower and 247NM of torque. Quite a lot eh? Yes, it allows the Yugo to hit 60mph in 6.9 seconds. The car has a 6 speed manual transmission that, rather oddly drives the rear wheels. I was expecting the transmission to be slow and disorganized but as I drove it, the gear changes were crisp and connected. I wanted second, the car went into second. I wanted 4th it went to 4th. The rear wheel drive aspect made the car great fun in the corners and made it unique to other competitors out there. I had the most fun I’ve ever had in the Yugo and I really hope that it becomes one of the most popular cars on the market.

I liked it so much, in fact, that bought it right after I reviewed it. (It’s the one in the pictures)

Final verdict: 9.5/10.

3 Likes

This is the first car I’ve ever “refreshed”. I called it the J-100, the one on the left is the original which I posted here a few months ago. I updated it a little while ago and its been sitting. Hope yall like it, thanks.

1 Like
2010 - Marquez MCR by Chambord

This car was created based on a challenge proposed by @ELBruno where the objective was to remake a car (from 1972) based on 10's visual, keeping the DNA or identity of the old MCR and from the brand (Marquez). So I made this, following the patterns of his brand and from the old MCR.

There are three versions, the Cabrio, Class, and XR (respectively)

The engine is a 1.8L boxer 4 that generates 111HP and 155Nm of torque. For the Cabrio and Class.

As for the XR, it has the same engine with a little more power: 160hp and 182nm

Let’s focus on the sport version, here are the numbers:
0 - 100 in 7.8s and a top speed of 213km/h

Definitely, it’s a car that I would buy.

More Pictures

The old version, from 1972

10 Likes

This is a very chic little car. Totally something I could see myself behind the wheel of.

4 Likes

That’s a nice design, it has personality, but at the same time it doesn’t look like some retro parody, but rather contemporary. Nice.

The H1

4 Likes

FOR SALE BY OWNER - '65 GSI Piccolo 1500 Rallye. Super rare! Ran when parked. No low ballers or tire kickers, I know what I have. $50,000 firm or trade for Civetta Bolide. Call Cletus (555) 420-6969

GSI_Piccolo_-_1500_Rallye.car (84.4 KB)

BeamNG File

9 Likes

1995 Zerve-NAM Korner PS117 Sport

1900cc F4, 115hp, 8.4 secs 0-60, 16.15 secs 1/4 mile. Proper deathtrap in BeamNG.

4 Likes

1998 KAI K1 1.8iS

Based on my CSR 143 entry.

1.8L 180bhp NA I4, 6-speed manual, FWD w/geared LSD, and sportier suspension and tires, plus bigger vented discs all round - all for just under $25k AMU, but only as a 3-door hatchback with a manual gearbox.

All this high-performance hardware yields a top speed of 153 mph and a 0-60 mph time of 6.78 seconds (with a 1/4 mile time of 14.94 seconds), plus a 60-0 mph braking distance of 34.9m and 1.04 g on a 200m skidpad.

Interior

4 Likes

Tartan’s 2021 RLI (short form of “ralli”) lineup:

2021 (6th generation) Tartan Torino RLI (facelift) (here pictured in RLI Heritage Green)

Tartan’s C-segment hot hatch with a 2.0 litre inline 4, turbocharged making 244hp at 7500rpm and 255nm of torque at 5300rpm, but already serving up 200nm before 2000rpm. That kind of power naturally needs the Torino to have beefed up multilink rear suspension and a sofisticated AWD system to help put the power down on the road. Due to market forces the Torino RLI is only offered in 7-speed DCT.

2021 (5th generation) Tartan Tirana RLI (here pictured in RLI Mango Orange)

Although Tartan’s B-segment entry, the 2021 Tirana offers nigh identical interior space to the Torino and in fact a larger boot the Tirana RLI offers a more budget friendly alternative for the hot hatch crowd. Sticking with a 1.5 turbo three cylinder engine, it offers 190hp at 7000rpm and 215nm at 5000rpm and front wheel drive. However, this allows for a 6-speed manual and a lower price of 32,000€ with much more economy as opposed to the much more premium and higher performance Torino which starts at almost 20,000€ more.

(I haven’t really done spiels here in aaages so sorry if my writing ain’t that convincing)

6 Likes

2018 Bellfire Adia Turbo, 1.3L T POWER

10 Likes

As endorsed by Dies Irae!

nOoOoOo ItS NoT A hATcHbAcK iT’s A cOuPe lOoK
– some kid in the 80’s

The Vantour 604 Coupe was a hatchback. Plain and simple. It was only marketed as a coupe to attract younger audiences into purchasing the car- typically seen as an old person’s car due to the low power output and easy handling. There was never any intent to market a coupe version of the 604, only remarketing the existing hatchback variant, albeit with a few small changes such as a smoother, rounder C pillar, 16 inch alloys (the original car always had alloys, just don’t tell the teens) and a dual exhaust (one of which wasn’t functional).

However, under the visual modifications the car relied on the same 1.5 litre I4 as the original, making it no faster than the standard version, save for some minor weight loss from the smaller boot. However, noone noticed and the Coupe would run for another 2 years before being discontinued in favour of a newer, sleeker car to slot into Vantour’s “Coupe” category.

Good luck trying to find one today, as most of them have either rusted away due to poor rustproofing, been written off by some uncareful driver or have been gutted and thrown in the scrapheap due to a poorly build engine that destroyed the whole drivetrain.

(no rear shots because automation decided to fuck my fixtures L)

3 Likes