Here’s my second car, after 3 years of not having any. Though it’s actually the first one to have some sense and the first being bought with any use of my brain As the title says, a '99 406 Coupe, powered by the base engine (I think?), a petrol 2.0 making a bit odd 132 horsepower. I was looking for some interesting car that would still be within my reach when it comes to ownership costs, and this is right on point - a cool looking coupe, yet with pretty common and standard tech. It’s not in a perfect condition, but it’s good - it passed its MOT very recently, has a rather new valvetrain (few kkm), new exhaust and hardly any rust. It drives well and - quite unusually for a cheap 406 Coupe - has bumpers with no cracks.
So, what are the downsides?
- AC doesn’t work! that’s a big one, I don’t know what’s the cause
- LPG installation needs regulation and/or minor fixes - it works, and the engine works ok on LPG in general (definitely drivable), but it doesn’t always provide the correct air/fuel mixture
- driver’s window stops some 1,5-2 cm below the level it should - minor, but annoying
- oil gauge (temp, AFAIK) doesn’t work
- no radio
- and some tiny stuff: it needs two keys - one for the locks, the other for starting - I think the ignition was replaced, as the cabin light needs electricity to be turned on on the ignition to glow; I can lower both windows from the driver’s door switches, but I can raise only the driver’s one; rims are scratched here and there; both door limiters stop only on the first position.
The interior is covered in black leather - not my preferable choice, but ok, car’s coolness factor makes up for that At least it has heated seats, so I won’t freeze to the seat in winter. I was amazed by the amount of space in the rear - I can easily sit there, without being squeezed, behind the front seat set up for me - and I’m 187 cm (that’s 6 ft 1,5" for you 'Muricans). As for the rest of the equipment - the non-functioning AC is manual, there’s the cruise control and, I think standard, power mirrors. I don’t expect much in that regard, so as soon as the AC will be fixed and some radio with BT installed, I’ll be entirely content with that.