I have a stupid question (Outdated)

I don’t need any advice with this anymore.

1 Like

A pic is worth 1,000 words :stuck_out_tongue:

But to me it seems alright

I will add some pics right here when they’re done:

That is with OHC, iron, forged pistons, etc, and +5 in every slider, perf intake, 4 barrel, and a long tubular.

Anything more you need to know just ask.

Look, here is a thread with a V8 family I made from 1960-1969

As you can see, I get around the same reliability, so to me those are good values for carburated engines at that time.

Multiple carburettors will reduce your reliability some, I know that much. DCOE carbs suck at being reliable. Old engines aren’t so good at high RPM. The newer the tech, the lower the initial reliability, as well, if I remember correctly.

As has been mentioned, though, those numbers are pretty good for the timeframe.

I hate DCOE and DOHC, both seem to be worse than 4 barrel or SOHC.

You are using a hell of a lot of quality slider though

Just looking at your Rev limit suggests to me that you’re running a sportier cam to get more power from it, considering in 1966 that the Ford 289ci was making 225hp with a limit of 6000rpm before the engine detonated, you must be pushing that engine awfully hard to reach those figures.

In the early 80’s or so you could push a 245ci to 240hp and 7000rpm (I can get my real life 1977 Inline 4 to 6500) or so but it’s better earlier on to run the engine with less cam , drop that peak RPM down to 4900 or so and just wince at the lack of power your engine makes.

1 Like

Ok single barrel carbs will be more reliable than 2bbl as there is less tech and less moving parts involved. As new carbs become available the reliability drops simply as they are harder to maintain amd when new are not well known so are more expensive to maintain. Dcoe are more complicated again and much harder to tune than a 2bbl hollet style carb. By the time 4bbl come along the mechanics are used to working on harder tech but the designs of carbs require comstant maintenance. Now we then get mech fuel injection which is much more complicated to manufacture and maintain and requires even more maintanence than carbs. By the time efi comes about the mechanics are fairly knowledgable about fuel systems in general and the ability of efi to self tune on the fly reduces the maintanence massivly…

or thats my theory

2 Likes