I need help figuring out how to tune race cars

Hello everyone, I’m a new automation player who’s enjoying the game very much, but my lack of experience with the game is causing me a lot of trouble when tuning cars for maximum performance: Whenever I test the cars in BeamNG, they roll-over as soon as I turn the steering wheel, no matter what I try to change in their suspension, aero, and tire configurations

I’ve tried to look up tutorials in-order to learn more about how to tackle this problem, but they all seem to be running version 4.2 of Automation at the latest, which is causing inconsistency issues with the configurations they use, since I’m using version 4.3 which has more or different options available

Here’s one example of a car that I’m having trouble with:

(I have more screenshots available and I’m willing to share the car file, but I’m currently unable to since I’m a new member)

It’s essentially a beetle made by a billionare who wants to turn it into a super fast race car whilst keeping it looking as original as possible (with the exception of the LED headlights, bumper delete, and very wide tires). The rear downforce is being generated by an invisible wing, and the front downforce by a splitter

I’m also willing to sacrifice top speed in-order to improve the cornering ability, since my intention was turn it into a circuit racer

One final note that I’d like to mention is that I do have pretty good success with making other types of cars and trucks, it’s high performace that I struggle with, which is admittedly quite difficult to do even in real life :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If it’s rolling over, what tires/quality tires are you running? And what’s the red warning?

1 Like

I’m using radial race, soft compound tires, each sized: 265mm width, 13in rim diameter, 580 tire diameter, 0 rim offset

Rims are using steel as the material and quality is set to 15

The red warning is that the car rolled-over during testing

1 Like

Looking at it, I think your car definetely has far too much grip.
+15 quality soft tires already have too much grip for normal race cars in many cases, if you’re going to use them i would set them to 0 quality or somewhere around there, if not using harder tires.

Next, I realized your car weighs 387kg, which is also probably causing issues.

Basically; Reduce grip, the car is rolling over from it. You could attempt to add massive amounts of downforce by spamming wings to stop the car from rolling over, but that will only get you so far.

2 Likes

I was tuning them based on the detailed statistics panel, using the sportiness panel

The reason why I added more grip was because it kept showing that the grip was limiting its sportiness factor by -30%, so I tried to make it as close to 0% as possible

The front downforce is already set to maximum, but the rear wing angle is set to 17. Does adding more wing fixtures increase the downforce, and are wings preferable over using splitters, lips or spoilers when targeting maximum downforce?

I admit that I do have a habit of making cars very lightweight :grin:

2 Likes

I think the sportiness grip thing doesnt really work correctly or you’re actually running too much grip for it. Just ignore that if you’re building for beamng.

That and more wing fixtures do indeed add more downforce.

2 Likes

I’ll try adding more downforce and also try using less grippy tires, and I’ll update you with the results

Thanks for your help so far :slight_smile::+1:

1 Like

The rollover warning is bugged, I had to ignore it in a hypercar challenge I did a few months ago.

3 Likes

Using hard compound tires instead of soft and adding more wings in the front and back (plus fine tuning the angles) has made a big improvement on the car’s handling, so I’m marking you as the solution

@Danicoptero

Noted, thanks for letting me know. It seems that at the moment it would be best to test high performance cars in BeamNG rather than in Automation, at least until that issue is fixed

2 Likes