Innovation through Regression - A Design Challenge

Innovation through Regression
We have all the design tools possible in the current Ellisbury Beta to make realistic and even not-cars within Automation. But, what if we broke the design system down back to the restrictions we had in the final old-engine release, Kee.

These restrictions were hard, and heavily limited the playing field on what could and could not be done to a car. In this instance, we’re gonna play very tight with what can and cannot be done.

In this pure design challenge, you are being challenged to construct any car you see fit sticking to some of the more annoying limitations we had back in the Kee era of Automation. This means forced symmetry, centre-line locked grilles, even limited numbers of wings and lips. This also means you’re gonna be locked out of a number of the new options that have been added since the death of Kee.

Current Ellisbury Beta release only, Mechanical engineering is not going to be judged as there are now fundamental differences in how the game is done mechanically.

How you must design.

• All Mods are Banned
  • Disabling Mirroring is Banned
  • All Fixtures from the Grille Group must be centre-locked
  • All Fixtures from the Scoop Group must be centre-locked.
  • All Fixtures from the Headlight Group must be placed on the front face of the car
  • All Fixtures from the Taillight Group must be placed on the rear face of the car
  • No Custom or Metallic Paints
    • No flake or pearl allowed.
    • All car parts must be painted the same as the body
    • Any part of the trim tab that is default automation red may be changed, but must conform to the full body colour.
  • Fixtures are only allowed to be recoloured if their default colour channels are body colour, chrome, or glossy plastic
    • They can only be swapped to body colour, chrome, or glossy plastic
  • The use of 3d Fixtures is Entirely Banned
  • No Fixture Layering allowed
  • Depth Scaling is not allowed
  • Fixture Alignment cannot be changed.
  • Exhausts must be placed on the rear of the car
  • Maximum of 2 Aero Fixtures.
  • The following categories of fixtures are not allowed to be used.
    • Interior
    • 3d
    • Body Moulding
    • Misc
    • Tow Hooks

Judging: What you are building is entirely up to you. Instead, you will be judged in how well you conformed with the restrictions imposed. Any violation of the rules will mean your entry will not be judged.

Name Scheme;
Model and Family - ITR - [username]
Trim and Variant - Free

Deadline 2023-12-29T23:00:00Z

6 Likes

Does this explicitly ban the use of advanced paint mode and force us to use basic paint mode exclusively?

correct, painting is limited to the channel selections we had back in Kee, i.e. the whole body has to be a single colour, and window trims and so on can not be recoloured.

What does this mean? Just no flake or pearl?

yep, I will make that clearer.

does this apply to trim pieces that are the default automation red color? It appears to have flake, but since it is a trim slot I am not allowed to change its color?

Also, is wheel paint considered a fixture paint and also off limits?

I will adjust the painting requirements to allow any changes of “default Automation Red” colour slots.

I was unable to get the old Kee version to launch, but I believe you were unable to paint the wheels back in Kee, so they are also unable to be changed.

True.

I like the idea and the limitations seem accurate, but I’d ditch one - the editable text ban. We had text fixtures back in Kee, and honestly the only meaningful thing that the editable text adds is the convenience of use. You can get the exact same visual effect with singular letters, it just needs more work (and yes, they can be precisely lined up in more than one way, and I’ve done that in Kee at least once).

but where’s the challenge and old school vibe if I let you have an advantage we didn’t back in kee :wink: This is meant to be a challenge after all.

Yeah, but IMO that bit feels like more a nuisance than a challenge. Other bits actually change what you can and can’t do (and I really like that), this one mainly changes how you can do the same thing, in a pretty minor but slightly annoying way.

3 Likes

What is “Alignment” referring to here?

And does this mean textures can’t overlap? Or do they all just have to be on the same layer? Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m not familiar with old automation at all :slight_smile:

Cardinal Locking,

Fixtures all have to be on the same layer, but can overlap.

So “align to surface” cannot be used?

they cannot be changed from how the fixture is placed by default.

So, if a fixture has “align to surface” active by default, I cannot change it?

Correct

I’ll relent on the Editable Text rule, and allow that for ease of use.

And I’ll throw up a deadline of 2023-12-29T23:00:00Z unless there are still issues with potential rule quirks.

2 Likes

Depth scale must therefore be set at 1.00 for every fixture, regardless of horizontal or vertical scale.

Also, brake caliper color (which is set to the standard paint preset by default) cannot be changed if I am not mistaken.

1972 Turból Centurion 420

Info

1972 marked the second facelift of the first generation Centurion, a more significant facelift than the first in 1969 that brought wider, lower fascias with painted, elastomeric bumpers. This also introduced a 2nd body type; the car was now available as both a coupe as well as a rakish fastback.

This example is a coupe equipped with the Turból 420 ci big block. Like many things in this era, power was down for 1972. The switch to unleaded fuel and the need to pass WES 4 emissions without any emissions equipment available mandated a mild tune; just 7.6:1 compression and a mild cam with a 320 gross/277 net horsepower rating. With a 3.46 Lok-Grip axle, F60-15 tires, and a Muncie-sourced close ratio 4 speed, the car could still put up respectable performance figures.

Gallery

P.S.

This old design dates back to CSR120 and is one I’m quite fond of, my first CSR win and one of my oldest designs I’m still proud of. It’s certainly not Kee but it’s old enough that it was easy to modify to meet the rules.

7 Likes