IVERA Motors AB (held under IVERA Group AB) (Not posting any designs until the 4.2 update)

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the IVERA Motors AB thread. This thread is for me to share the designs and the story of how IVERA Motors became the luxury brand that it is today. The history of IVERA Motors begins in 1955 but, to understand how IVERA as a whole came to be we must go all the way back to February 6th 1900. What are you waiting for? Let’s go!

3 Likes

Our first lore post takes us to before IVERA Motors even existed and that is the 6th of February 1900. The story begins in the city of Malmo, Sweden.

The Iverahoven (the “a” is silent) family was one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, thanks to their major contribution to the marine industry with their powerful steam turbines and boilers. However, on the 6th of February of 1900, the second youngest member of the family, Alexander Iverahoven, an engineering student, designed a giant crane for a school project a few years earlier, put in a patent for his design. This design attracted many investors which invested great sums of money to see if it could work and they were not let down. Iverahoven’s crane was revolutionary, Thanks to its gantry style lifting rig the crane could lift twice as much cargo with out much danger of it being overloaded. The first working prototype proved that having more than just two single cables, allowed the load to be distributed evenly amongst all 4 corners of the lifting rig. By 1906 the Iverahoven Crane, that was built in the port of Malmo, was the largest and most powerful crane in the world. People from all over the world came to marvel at its lifting power. The Crane was so strong in fact, it could lift a fully loaded railway car from the quayside onto a cargo ship without any failures. Also revolutionary about the crane was the fact that it didn’t have to rotate and swing the load around. It simply positioned it self over the load, dropped the lifting rig and attached to the load. The reach also allowed it to load cargo directly from ships onto trains more easily. Today, the Iverahoven crane still stands in the port of Malmo and is considered a historic landmark.

2 Likes

The Beginnings: 1906 - 1910

Now, you may ask, “How did Iverahoven become Ivera?”. That is a good question… and that’s why I must now explain how that happened.

As much as the name Iverahoven Lyftkranar sounded good for a crane company, Alexander Iverahoven the founder of the company felt that even though the name was fine he felt it should be shorter, So after, 4 years of being called Iverahoven Lyftkranar, the company became IVERA Lyftkranar. This helped with spelling mistakes associated with such an unusual name and also created an easily pronounceable name in many languages. But, from 1910 onwards Alexander became more and more interested in how internal combustion engines worked and decided he should also set up a company to do that. Although, he knew that these engines were used in cars he wondered if these engines could be used in marine applications.

2 Likes

A little Swedish lesson maybe. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess that “Luftkrans” is supposed to mean “Lifting cranes”, then “Lyftkranar” is the correct word (crane = kran, cranes = kranar). “Luftkrans” translates directly into “air wreath” :stuck_out_tongue:

(And just ask me if you need more translation in the future, I will gladly help you)

3 Likes