JOC4B - A Hero's Homecoming

no, it’s 33.2 million…
the original posts says techpool cost, not total cost.
if you were talking about total costs, you should have stated so originally.

Congrats to Riley on the win, and also I know this wasn’t the biggest round but we’ll done @abg7 getting the results out so fast too

If only I had gone manual, I think I had the Ferrari F1 gearbox in my head when I was creating the car tbh

Cavalieres definition of Überholprestige is a distinguished “here comes old money” which might not be as exciting as Bruno wanted it. Good to read that the amount of time in the engineering worked out well.

After the previous JOC took quite some time, it is also good to see that you can count on abg doing judgings as fast as a Zephorus.

If @Riley declines, I am ready to host the next JOC.

4 Likes

Wait isn’t that normal?

2 Likes

Woot, 4th ain’t nothin to sneeze at for me. Glad my knock-off Skyline GT-R did well.

1000 or more rpm between the redline and power peak on a high-performance road car is too much, as I found out long ago:

Bruno wasn’t looking for a race car, though.

@the-chowi I implied total techpool cost (the value on the right in the techpool adjustment screen), but forgot to explicitly state it, like I should - until now. Every other entry here was under the $75m total techpool cost limit.

I’ve always used the Performance Index to determine the max rpm vs the peak power, as it seems to scale with the engine’s application fairly well.

Well Jaimz is not the be-all, end-all of sources lol. Do you know why, or why not, a car might have lots of RPM past redline?

It’s worth noting this says “at least.” Generally, the redline is actually a decent distance beyond peak power. When you change gears, your engine RPMs drop substantially. As such, having your peak further behind the redline allows you to stay in your power band when changing gears.

This is one of the things I was sort of afraid of with the advanced transmission update- there’s so much to know and so few resources to learn.

If you desired, you can build any performance. However, the constructors are not obliged to adjust to the expectations of the riders, for example, that motor is best to spin up to 4000 rpm, for better start. In this case, we have a red line and a cutoff at the same time. A racer can drive at 7000 revolutions out of 8000, but he can sacrifice traction for the sake of speed of actions. Since, in fact, racing cars are presented here, the remaining 1000 revolutions before the cutoff is not an excessively large range.
This is an assessment according to the classical scheme.

well, i don’t have divination powers… especially when what is explicitly stated matches basically word for word with something else. you can’t bin me for following the explicit wording of the rules.

1 Like

When I stated this in the OP, I was referring to the total costs, not merely the tech pool costs:

joc4btp

Based on this, your entry exceeded the $75m total cost limit, and was thus binned; none of the other entries I received violated this rule.

@doot after checking the dyno sheet on one of the entries (specifically, the Atlas Acorus v2 by @skawkclsrn), I chose to review its power curve:

It’s not so much that there’s too much space from redline to power peak, but the power curve drops off dramatically over the last 500 rpm. This is evidence of valve float, but the game won’t tell you if it exceeds 5%.

As for your entry, if the yellow line on the low-speed steering graph peaks above the oversteer threshold (represented by the red line), then it has a tendency to oversteer:

overstr2

If said yellow line also climbs upward steeply near the right-hand edge, then this tendency to oversteer becomes terminal (as shown below with @yakiniku260’s entry):

overstr

@mart1n2005 I appreciated the fact that you experimented with an auto manual transmission. However, although it improved comfort compared to a manual, it also significantly reduced its sportiness rating:

stats

You could also have left the transmission as it was and omitted the rear +2 seats altogether:

stats2

Either change on its own would have improved its chances, but implementing both of them at once would most likely have made it finalist material:

stats3

As it was, however, the BSC K-GT turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of the field - it looked amazing from any and every angle, but was badly compromised by its choice of transmission type and unnecessary 2+2 (instead of 2+0) seating capacity (in a round where rear seats are not even required) - however, although the Sukairain and Hazel also had 4 seats (which, in their case, were all full-sized), it was more easily justifiable for both of them due to their base body sets ('88 Indicator and '84 Muni, respectively) looking more likely to accommodate 4 or more seats than the '95 Outrun body set (on which the K-GT was based).

3 Likes

As an outsider, this still seems pretty unclearly worded. Specifically referring to the total costs rather than just saying “maximum sandbox techpool cost”, which doesn’t specify either of the three, would have prevented this

5 Likes

I actually agree with Chowi on this one. I’m not saying you should unbin them, but the confusion is strong with how you worded things. I would have also interpreted this as the number on the left, which is directly labeled “Techpool Costs”. That’s what matches with the wording of the rules. If the rules had said something on the lines of “Total costs in the techpool tab”, then the bin makes more sense. This is definitely something that will need to be clarified in other challenges if hosts choose to regulate techpool this way.

6 Likes

I get it - next time anyone sets a techpool budget cap (myself included), they should (must?) explicitly state if it refers only to the techpool cost alone, or total techpool and lab costs, just to remove confusion.

2 Likes

Haven’t read all of this but I’m guessing @abg7 was quoting some advice I handed out. It was a general comment, on a previous challenge, from 3 years ago!

I’ll remember in future to quote you when I enter a 1L shitbox that’s got RPM 1K+ the redlline. :rofl:

2 Likes

Given the wide variation in real cars’ power curves relative to both natural and programmed redlines, yall make far too much of a fuss over it IMO. The valve float bit is a legitimate concern, but the rest is unnecessary.

Commendably quick, efficient, and mostly well-organized round! In contrast to the Ryugyong Hotel that is (still) the previous round, this part of the Journey of Ownership was a stay in a by-the-hour motel run with typical German efficiency, and with mostly clean sheets too.

2 Likes

I was told Riley is on vacation, so unless he steps in before sunday I will have something up for sunday evening.

2 Likes

My influence grows!

No knock on you when I said you weren’t an end-all source, by the way, just weird to see a fellow forum user’s word be treated as gospel :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You have a point! Challenges that take too long to complete (as far as final results are concerned) are among my pet peeves.

2 Likes