JOC4B - A Hero's Homecoming

JOC4B - A Hero’s Homecoming

Previous JOC

Frankfurt, Germany, 1995 - 13 years since JOC4A

(The video above shows what a drive along a derestricted section of the A3 Autobahn near Frankfurt looks and feels like)

Brief

9 years had passed since Bruno Schultz (son of Magda and Stefan Schultz) earned an industrial design degree from a renowned university, accepted a job offer from a major electronics company headquartered in Japan, and bought the car of his dreams - a white Zephorus Stelvio TT. In that time, not only had he married his fiancée and had two children (a son named David & a daughter named Anna), but the Berlin Wall had been demolished, leading to Germany (and its capital, Berlin) being reunited under democratic rule; meanwhile, on the opposite side of the world, the Japanese economy went into freefall as its real estate bubble collapsed.

Amidst these upheavals, Bruno moved back to Frankfurt in search of new employment, taking the Stelvio with him - but he was no longer satisfied with it, and so he sold it off, receiving a decent amount of money from the sale. Three years later, however, Bruno has found himself at a crossroads: he’s secured another high-paying job, which means his finances are once again robust (though not to the point of being virtually limitless, but he cannot live without a dedicated high-end sports car or supercar (which he now plans to reserve mainly for weekends and special occasions) for much longer. So he must now replace the Stelvio - but with what? IAA 1995 is just a few months away, and he must make his decision soon - before it’s too late.

Priorities

High importance :star::star::star:

• Aesthetics/cohesion - As the saying goes: “If it looks right, then it is right” - this is often true, especially for sports cars and supercars.
  • Sportiness/performance - It has to be fun to drive, no question. To that end, Bruno will be evaluating entries based on various factors such as top speed, acceleration (to 60 mph), handling (in terms of lateral g’s on a 200m skidpad, as well as the low- and high-speed steering graphs), and braking (not just stopping distances from 60 mph, but also the level of sportiness brake fade). Gearing, brake force, and suspension tune will also be scrutinized.
  • Prestige - Bruno’s next car has to stand out from the crowd. In addition to the base stat values, Überholprestige (i.e., how menacing a car will look in someone else’s rear view mirrors) will be judged.

Moderate importance :star::star:

• Comfort - It may be reserved for weekends and special occasions, but Bruno won’t want to sacrifice too many creature comforts for the sake of driving thrills.
  • Drivability - With the advances in automotive technology that have been made in the past decade and a half, Bruno expects his new car to be easier to drive.
  • Design and engineering realism - Anything that deviates too far from realism for the era, and/or is a min-maxed/meme build, will make Bruno turn and walk away.
  • Value for money - Bruno prefers to go for a cheaper car if it does the same job as a more expensive one, all other things being equal. He is not afraid of spending most or all of his budget on a superior car, though.

Low importance :star:

• Reliability - Even a sports car shouldn’t break down all the time, and Bruno knows this.
  • Safety - Although it’s better to not crash at all than to survive a crash (mostly) unscathed, Bruno wants his next car to take care of him if things went badly wrong.
  • Environmental resistance - Rustproofing on car bodies is generally more common and thorough than it was 15 years ago; that said, Bruno wouldn’t want his new car to rot away too quickly.
  • Running costs - Bruno can afford to spend a lot of cash annually on fuel and servicing, but not too much.
  • Practicality - It won’t be used for carrying lots of passengers or cargo, but Bruno would appreciate some extra trunk space.
Rules
  • Trim and variant year must both be set to 1995.

• Model and family year must both be no newer than 1995. Either or both can be older than this, though.

• Maximum price: $50,000 AMU

• 4.3 open beta only.

• No V16 engines (I don’t have the key yet).

• No legacy bodies (I haven’t installed the mod pack on my end).

• Must be a 2-door coupe (this includes coupes with a hatchback rear window, but not actual hatchbacks) with a wheelbase of 2.3m to 2.8m (hard limits). 2-door convertibles will be allowed as well, but they will receive a minor overall buff to offset any stat penalties compared to an equivalent coupe. However, if you make a coupe look like a convertible by any means, I will still treat it as a coupe.

• No SUV, pickup truck, or van body styles. Do not turn a coupe into one of those, either.

• Body unlock year must be 1980 or later.

• Must have no fewer than two seats, and no more than four (front seats must be full-sized; rear seats can be either full-sized or +2); however, a second row of seats is not required.

• 3-way catalytic converter required.

• No carburetors (they won’t be legal on new cars sold in Europe for much longer anyway).

• Fuel must be unleaded, either 95 RON premium or 98 RON super.

• Must meet WES 8 standards at minimum (as seen in fuel economy section of detailed stats tab). It is therefore optional to make your car pass any future emissions standards (WES 9 or later).

• Maximum loudness of 55 (to accommodate performance intakes).

• Manual or auto manual transmission mandatory, although the former is preferred (Bruno’s daily driver has an automatic transmission, but he hasn’t forgotten how to drive with a stick and three pedals, and anything else would be out of place on his weekend car, except for an auto manual done right). A sequential transmission is not allowed, though, since it counts as a race part (see below).

• Must be RWD or AWD; however, Bruno prefers the former, and if using AWD, engine must be longitudinally mounted, with a rear bias of 50% or more.

• No race/offroad parts of any kind - in other words, do not use any engine or trim part with the words “race” or “offroad” in them (including all-terrain and semi-slick tires). Sequential gearboxes (as opposed to auto manuals) will be treated as race parts and must not be used.

• Tires must be radial, with widths ending in 5 (not 0).

• Toe angle (as shown in suspension tab) must not exceed -0.50 or +0.50 for both front and rear.

• Any aero fixtures must not be made invisible (i.e., having transparent material for all areas) and must be attached to the car’s body; in addition, wings must be fitted to the rear of the vehicle, and not the front.

• There is no limit on boost or displacement for turbocharged engines, but regardless of aspiration, make sure to keep safe power limits (the value below which the associated reliability penalty doesn’t apply) in mind. Exceeding this by a small amount is fine given the type of car Bruno is looking for - just don’t go too crazy with outputs.

• Engine idle speed (the leftmost part of the power/torque curves on the dyno sheet) must be 1000 rpm or less.

• At least standard 90s safety required.

• A CD player of some sort is mandatory (although premium grade or higher is strongly recommended) - Bruno grew up listening to music on a cassette tape deck, but his belated acceptance of new technology has led him to believe that even the best tape deck on its own may not be enough for his in-car entertainment needs.

• Techpool values must be between +3 and +7 inclusive.

• There are no quality limits, but excessive positive or negative quality could make Bruno suspicious.

• Maximum sandbox techpool cost of $75m. You can check this by clicking on the techpool value in any area.

• Advanced trim settings may be used, but sensibly and in moderation.

• An unscaled Euro-sized license plate fixture must be fitted to both the front and rear ends of the car.

• Detailed interiors (if fitted) must be left-hand drive. They are not required, though.

• Last but not least: No meme builds! And if it’s not written in the rules, then it isn’t a rule.

Notes
  • Bruno is now a 34-year-old man, but he will be 35 by the time IAA 1995 begins. He has no specific preferences for engine placement, and will take any color as long as it fits the car’s overall shape.

• In 1995, real-life Euro-spec cars were not yet required to have a third brake light, nor were side marker lights mandatory for that market (although the latter had to be amber on both the front and rear if fitted). However, they were required to have one or two red rear fog lights, in addition to a small amber signal light between the leading edge of the front side door and the trailing edge of the front wheel arch. I won’t bin entries for any deviations from contemporary European lighting specifications, though.

• In hindsight, it was obvious why Bruno sold his Stelvio a few years ago - a high idle speed, excessive turbo lag, lots of unused octane rating, too much downforce (and hence drag, which explains its low top speed) and strong understeer (due to the overhauled weight distribution calculations in 4.3) would have been tolerable (for Bruno, at least) on their own, but not all at once.

Inspirations

These are examples of sports cars and supercars that were in production at the time, or were introduced within a year or two of IAA 1995.

Submission guidelines
  • Rules deliberation ends on 12:00 am (UTC+7), Thursday, October 19, 2023, at which point this round will open for submissions. It will remain open until 12:00 am (UTC+7), Thursday, November 2, 2023.

• To register your entry, please DM me your .car file on this thread, and post an ad here with at least one picture of your car.

• No resubmissions will be accepted, except in the case of minor rule breaks or major game updates arriving before the deadline, in which case you will have one (1) chance to resubmit.

Autobahn speed run playlist

Some mood music for high-speed autobahn runs to get you in the mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViP87WipSm0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pav2f4b-1ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrChA17AWLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFJIEK17b9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GfcIprkuvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV78vobCyIo

Changelog

10/18/23: Removed quality limits and restrictions on displacement and boost for turbocharged engines. Also added inspirations and relaxed emissions targets to WES 8, as well as allowing auto manual gearboxes and extending wheelbase range to 2.3m-2.8m (hard limits). Techpool cost is now set at $75m, and all model/family years up to and including 1995 are eligible.

Good luck, and have fun!

8 Likes

EDIT: Thanks, @Texaslav . I wonder if there’s such a thing as dyslexia for numbers, because I seem to have it.

The minimum and maximum toe are prohibitive for rear engine cars with square tires. It may be better to allow up to +/- .15, which will result in some cars having better handling than they ought to… but overall provides a wider range of viable options, and the cheese in that range is still within realistic factory car specs. Toe doesn’t really get goofy until you hit .2 away from 0. .5 is way too much with no SVC penalty.

On turbos, they really don’t need the displacement/boost limitation any more thanks to power density and more realistic torque limits on parts. You can still get crazy numbers, but at a cost. If anything they have slightly excessive SVC penalties.

Lastly, quality limits are rather dated. The devs have outright confirmed they expect real motors to have lots of it, and cheap cars to use negative.

Just my two cents.

Damage already done, but you’re really supposed to not start a new thread before you start a completely new round of JOCs, if you’re just going for another part of the same JOC, you’re supposed to stay in the same thread, to make it easier to follow the journey. Now, you have already started this new thread, so well, keep it I say, but I would like to see the host for JOC4C keeping it in this thread then instead of starting yet another one.

5 Likes

WES11 in 1995? Why!? What’s the point? Germany didn’t have a massive anti-NOx standard back then. And then there’s the manual requirement despite the late 90s being the birth-point of automanuals on sports cars.

Also

it’s already +/- 0.5. Which is more than +/- 0.15.

4 Likes

Why the narrow wheelbase window?

damn my number issue. i read 0.5 as .05 because .5 is crazy

2 Likes

After careful consideration, I am allowing the use of auto manual gearboxes (not sequentials - those are race parts), but manuals will still be preferred. Also, I will expand the wheelbase range to between 2.3m and 2.8m inclusive, although these will now be hard limits.

In addition to this, turbocharged engines will no longer have a capacity or boost cap, and the quality limits have been abolished.

Moreover, the minimum WES requirement has been relaxed to WES 8 - although you may still future-proof your car against later emissions standards (WES 9 through 11) if you wish.

Finally, JOC5 will revert to being a single thread covering every stage.

1 Like

A thought has occurred to me. We are in the Open Beta- why not base the techpool allowance on the in-game estimated cost of the techpool, as seen here? Given the techpool allowance, a total cost of 75M seems like a reasonable guess for price. This way participants don’t have to use an external tool.

1 Like

Good point - I’m setting the techpool cost at $75m for JOC4B.

Also, I will make it clear that turning a coupe or convertible into something it isn’t (such as an SUV, pickup truck, van, etc.) will not be allowed this time:

1 Like

Is this really necessary? That’s a very slim range, especially for high end sport/super cars, and for engines is just unnecessarily restrictive considering how long-lived engines can be (the Lambo V12, for instance, would be 32 years old by the time of this challenge).

2 Likes

Could the model year limit be taken down? 1990 is very high as lots of cars that fit the brief couldn’t be used since they have a model year pre 1990

3 Likes

1995 Primus Ultima

Real life situation: You couldn´t get loose from your secretary and now you have to hurry to not miss the family ritual to watch NOTRUF 110 in the living room of your city mansion.

Our new supercar is so fast that not even the legendary highway cops Sordel and Batimus would catch you.
The V12 is shared with the Imperator, which means limousine-smoothness at race-car response.

As it is self-evident for a PRIMUS, the car comes with latest comfort features and entertainment, as well as an ergonomic interior that provides adequate comfort for a car of this price range.
There is still a superveloce version with almost 1000 horsepower from a quad turbo version of the engine, but for most drivers, the 485 well-fed horses of the naturally aspirated model should already provide a convincing experience.

PRIMUS. Die erste Wahl.

4 Likes

In response to your feedback, there will be no longer be any limit to how old the model and/or family can be, although both must still be no newer than 1995.

2 Likes

As I understood JOC has no internal rules, except what is stated on this page.

However, we must approve the agreements:

1. The machine can not be fresher 95 years, despite the fact that nowadays the game allows you just to set a marker?

2. Since there is no lower threshold of the year, does this mean that too square or round bodies may come?

3. Here is required to reflect the stylistics of that time, or are there allowed echoes of the present times?

Regarding your points:

1. I think you meant “trim year must be 1995” (which I stated in the OP).

2. There are no model year restrictions (other than it must not be any newer than 1995), but considering Bruno’s current styling tastes, he may be suspicious of bodies that are very old.

3. As I stated in the OP, Bruno’s current styling preferences lean toward contemporary and modern (with a dash of slightly futuristic), not retro.

And since I have generally fixed the ruleset in response to prior feedback, I am pleased to announce that…

Submissions are now open!

Good luck to you all!

2 Likes

Nice set of rules!
From posting of inspiration looks menacing 5 6 7 8 9 10 13, so I will focus on them.

there’s a lot of low & mid tier supercars in the inspiration list, but what about the higher-end machines like the Bugatti EB110, Jaguar XJ220, Mclaren F1, Ferrari F50, etc.? is it okay to draw inspiration from those while meeting the rules & regulations or are they too high-ticket?

2 Likes

I don’t see why not; the 1990s saw the advent of many bespoke sports car makers in England whose limited-production models were more modest in performance than top-tier supercars, but looked just as outlandish. Just don’t mismatch design elements, e.g. by giving a car with a large all-steel body and full supercar styling a low-powered engine.

Bruno’s budget is generous, but not to the point where he could afford a LVC LS60 - although I wouldn’t be surprised if anyone submitted something that was almost as fast.