JOC4C - I don´t want it, but I need it [DONE]

2001 DURENDAL B30-A

Affectionately known as the “Aero-toaster”, the B30-A utilizes the performance B30-T’s (twin turbo, AWD) visual appearance with the more reliable and serviceable standard drivetrain; a naturally aspirated 3.0 Boxer 6 producing over 180 hp.

4 Likes

2001 ARLINGTON ANTARES ESTATE

Sports sedans are neat. You can rule the highway - with three in the back and the comfort of your own home couch. But what if you want a sporty car , and need to carry five in the back?

Well, we offer the Antares as an estate, too. And it’s not a sleeper spec, either: Say hello to a standard 3.2-liter V6, choice of 5-speed manual or automatic, and a suspension tuned for nimble handling. You’ve never driven a 5-meter 7-seater as agile as this one!

A modern interior with stitched high-quality fabric or leather and your choice of color; Auto climate control; and multimode, multi-disc screen-select media playback.

*And of course, as promised, the two extra seats out back. What’s more: with a state-of-the-art crash structure and a class-leading airbag system covering all bases, this 7-seater wagon is capable of outdoing even most 5-seat cars in terms of passenger safety. Your future is in good hands; And control of a fun car is still in yours. Price as shown, AM$19,600.

8 Likes

Say Hi to the working man’s minivan!

The 1995 Aitlan ACT-Series, facelifted for 2000.

The ACT-Series minivans are equipped with the latest high tech features, such as 2.2L inline 4 engine and 4-speed automatic transmission.

The comfortable seats and the fun and responsive handling make it a blast to drive! The ACT-Series is the minivan you buy when you want to stand out. The design will make your presence known.

You also get one of those cool opening rear windows if you’re too lazy to open the entire trunk.

Aw fuck it, here's more pictures.

7 Likes

2001 Wells Land Runner SL

4 Likes
The 1999 Torshalla Asna ES: Safe, Styish, Swedish

6 Likes

MAYBE YOU DON’T NEED A 3.5 LITRE V6, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, HALF LEATHER INTERIOR, DUAL SUNROOFS AND ALLOY WHEELS.

THEN AGAIN, MAYBE YOU DON’T CARE EITHER.

THE TURNPIKE STAR. BY IP.

6 Likes

Less than 24 hours left. Ladies and Gentleman, Last l call on Gate JOC4C. Please make Sure you weren’t Hit by the Last update in a negative way.

2001 Mara Kavaler 2.3 UKE-7

By the start of the new century, the 2nd gen Kavaler was getting a bit long in the tooth - but, after a facelift, and even with a successor in the wings, its top Komfort Extra trims were still established options in the premium budget sedan and wagon categories.

A less popular option was the -7 package for installing two rear seats in the wagon’s spacious cargo area which is now finally possible thanks to the new Boat body I had to switch to.

1 Like

This generation of Kavaler generally looks way better on the new Boat body set - even in rental-spec silver with steelies.

1 Like

2001 Ozoku Oshidori LX

Featuring a 3.0L V6, a capable AWD system, a CD sound system, and comfortable leather seating for 7 people, only for $20,000. You’ve gotta be crazy to pass up this deal.

lowkey should have gone to illustrator to make an ad for this but i couldn’t be bothered this time…

1 Like

CLOSED.

When I am back home tomorrow noon I will scrutinize the entries and give you an estimate about the judging duration, I think I will able to do the bin’s on the spot.

3 Likes

Step 1: The BINS

Actually, there is a reason why I come up with only few rules and those are even quite lenient. I hate binning other people´s cars. Really. Unless it´s a CSR I am hosting. JOC should have a good balance between easy entry and some kind of challenging task. And the latter was designing a totally boring MPV that looks so good you want it without even having kids.

To get back to topic. Since the rules were not that hard, it is not surprising that violations weren´t found… except for one.

@Maverick74 sent me a 1993 model, although the model year should be 1995+.

So I asked myself what to do. Since this rule violation does NOT give any kind of obvious advantage (like exceeding the budget or using better fuel or failing to meet emission standards) I decided to let it slide if it will still pass the rules with a 1995 model year. That switch was giving the car slightly better stats, but SADLY this altered the price to $ 20.100 - just 100 too much. Which means, I have no other choice but to bin it.

Since I liked the car, I will review it anyway a bit. The Torshalla had a quite good drivability considering how simple the suspension is, but the AHS steel chassis with partially alu panels seem a bit too advanced for what it is. Medium compound tires also smell cheesy, but they were not forbidden. Nevertheless, light weight is definitely helping its stats which were overall good. The engine suffered from piston stress, but the overall reliability of 76,6 points was fairly ok despite that obvious goof.
The design is very, very 90s, so a bit dusted considering Bruno prefers sharp looking cars, BUT: The execution of that 90s look was clean, well proportioned and very realistic, it would have scored most likely 7 out of 10, with the excellent realism making up the outdated feel of it.

The car would definitely have advanced to the second round.

6 Likes

Step 2: The first round

I won´t help anyone improving if I just focus on the nice things, so I apologize for being harsh aka telling you what´s bad about the one or other car, but it is just meant as a hint to make better vehicles.

Roamer Squeaze by @Mausil

The passengers are all, well “squeazed” into this very small car - nevertheless the practicality is good, but the utility awful - since the additional seats consume all trunk space. The comfort is medium range, it shines when it comes to fuel consumption - obviously helped by the fact it´s small. Installing a CVT was a keen move, resulting in few friction losses. An 1766ccm ALSI DOHC V6 with 94 horsepower smells heavy like cheese, but the engine was just as balanced to not break the gearbox with too much power. The stats are actually way too good for how unrealistic the engineering is. The redline is just 100 rpm above peak power which is … not a good choice, to say the least, but I guess having a CVT prevents totally miserable rpm drops so that goof wasn´t as bad as it could have been. Using a single point injection in 2001 is however unrealistic as well, since that was out of fashion already in the mid-90s and only seen on very cheap cars (2001 automation equivalent might be cars below a price of 10k). Suspension and brakes need more fine tuning, and the reduced engine cooling does not seem clever as reliability is a top priority, although the stat wasn´t harmed as I thought it would be.
Overall, an interessing concept with not too bad results, some more experience and it would have been surprisingly competetive.

The styling is better than earlier cars from the entrant, but it is still below average. The rear is uninspired, the tiny door handles and the old-fashioned mirrors are weird (although the integration of side indicators is interessing) and the fuel cap is really where I just ask myself “why?”. Some details on the other hand are quite nice, so hit and miss are very closely together here. The simple interior provided is well fit. What really killed this car in the end was the by far lowest safety.

to the entrant: I see a learning curve. I see some effort in it. Proceed like this, you seem to be on a good way.

Kiyume Heron by @machalel

Bwoah, where to start… propably with the elephant in the room. I consider it as a meme car, and as such, the design isn´t even too bad. We don´t need to discuss that Bruno would never buy a car looking like this, I guess, but: The fixtures are correctly sized and well-aligned. Detail level is medium, but as I said, its all working together when considering this as a meme entry.
The engineering continues the meme by providing me an aluminium semi spaceframe (WHAT?) with GFK panels (ARGH!). The engine redline is a bit too far up (5000 vs peak power at 4200), and the engine itself is aiming for torque with long stroke. having addeded a turbocharger, it brings solid 282 nm on the crankshaft. It could have been more reliable if the exhaust hadn´t been so ridiculously small. Even when increased to proper size, the compression or boost should be a bit lowered, stopping the engine to retard ignition timing.

Reducing the boost might have been the solution, since the gearbox is literally blown apart, causing terrible reliability. Maybe this car was built before the latest patch introducing too low torque limits for the gearboxes. Both @abg7 and @Ludvig already discussed that with me in another thread and this car is another proof they are right about it.

So, other than having a weird styling, unfitting chassis and bad reliability, it´s comfort is also low. In short: Bruno walks away from this without hesitation.

to the entrant: This was surely a meme so I think the goofs were intentional. I guess the update made it all worse without you noticing it.

CYD Celesta Exacto by @quiz

“WES 9 Compliant” says the side lettering, great, one thing less to check for rule compliance… Jokes aside, this lettering feels like being one third of all fixtures used. SADLY. It´s so bland that it´s already out before looking at the engineering - which I will do anyway.

The most obvious goof is 8 percent crankshaft stress, that could have been solved by simply using low friction cast pistons instead of “regular” cast pistons. Stress would have been reduced to 3 percent and the car would still have been below the budget. Maybe you didn´t have an understanding of the parts and what they change, but in that case I suggest you to play a little around and check what happens, then you might get an understanding. 5000 redline with 4800 peak power revolutions is odd. Good rust-protection which was no judging criteria, sadly. The whole engineering isn´t causing game warnings but just doesn´t follow a clear concept. Medium tires, but no vented discs? Hardly makes sense. Fancy direct injection and six-speed automatic, but neither progressive springs nor gas dampers, but a solid rear axle with leaf springs? Thats absolute nonsense.

to the entrant: You simply need more practice and some knowledge about real car engineering. If you are rather young and don´t have technical background and no experience with driving cars at all, that´s hard for newbies. Take your time, have a learning curve, and you will see how the verdicts will improve by a 100 percent.

That is it for today. Again, I did not mean to insult you. I just felt like I needed to point out clearly what´s the issues here.

5 Likes

That might explain why all of my challenge entries after the Ellisbury update are all naturally aspirated - but even without forced induction, it is possible to reduce gearbox reliability unnecessarily by making the ratios (especially first) too short.

1 Like

True, but that´s solvable as you said by not using absurdly short first gears. Against the turbo breaking the gearbox, only two painful ways work:

1. Doing gearbox quality spam - that kicks you out of any challenge with the purchase price rising to absurd amounts

2. Reducing boost significantly - this causes the turbo not using his potential despite altering the service cost a lot - which makes it hardly competetive compared to NA cars.

3 Likes

thank you for your advices, have fun with the rest, good luck everyone else. I had fun :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah you are completely right about the gearbox reliability with latest patch - I didn’t notice it with the latest update :frowning:

As for the ‘memeness’ no I didn’t intend to be a meme car, but I but rather to try and channel the weirdness that crept into some Japanese brands in the 90’s, but ramped up a bit (for those that thought the Nissan Cube a bit too bland) . I admit the wheel spats were probably a bit too much maybe :stuck_out_tongue:
But yeah, the panels were a mistake.

3 Likes

It’s a good thing I hosted the previous round of this JOC before the release of the latest open beta update - otherwise, any turbocharged entries would have been docked points for gearbox unreliability. As things currently stand, however, if I were to host any challenge right now, I would either have to explicitly require every entrant to use a normally aspirated engine, or warn them that excessive boost and torque density would reduce gearbox reliability unfairly, limiting the turbos’ potential.

1 Like

If you set the first gear maximum speed to 50km/h it seems to get rid of a lot of the reliability penalty

1 Like

I’ve tried that for most of my builds, and it worked a treat - although it doesn’t solve the problem of low torque limits that impose a reliability penalty on all turbocharged engines.