JOC6A - An American Dream

I am confused, where does it say about a specific tire profile?

Radial tires should be allowed. They were available since 1952 for truck applications.

Disk brakes perhaps not. In 1959, they were a rarity of high-shelf performance cars and unheard-of on trucks. For context, Ford didn’t get front disks until 1973 on their light-duty vehicles. My 1973 Ford medium-duty had drums in the front until I converted them. Modern heavy-duty trucks still use drums for reasons I don’t understand.

If we’re restricted to dedicated truck platforms, tuning options are rather few; they’re all going to be steel on steel ladder frames with leaf springs front and rear, drums front and rear, manual ball steering, 3- or 4-speed manuals or maybe 2- or 3-speed autos - all period-correct, and little to no deviation permitted. If we also allow car-based utes, things open up considerably.

In that case, you have probably been looking at more modern replacement dimensions for the old crossplies. Back in the 50s, profile was generally not even mentioned, low profiles weren’t a thing. 100 was standard on the crossplies. 90 profiles became somewhat more commonplace in the 60s, and then came the belted era (mostly in the US since Europe was moving over to radials for lower profile tyres by then) with low profile crossplies. That was still far away… 82 is considered standard profile on radials, so technically 75 is low profile there, and by 1959 that was almost sci fi…

Now, I would personally still allow some leeway since for some reason Automation tyres seems to look totally blown up at higher profiles, but it’s still worth keeping in mind.

And yeah, maybe truck radials have been around since 1952, but I am still curious about any vehicle in the class that have been asked for that offered them by 1959. Unsure about french stuff like the Peugeot 403 pickup TBH, since France is the home country of the radials…but that would be an outlandish choice.

If allowing radials, I would not do it without a penalty (most likely adding to service costs) in one form or another, since it is something that improves the vehicle more than it raises costs, yet they would have been extremely rare if comparing real 1959 pickup trucks when new. (I would have liked to say “did not exist” but if I do, someone will post some obscure french stuff that they made 4 of, so I’ll have to eat that up)…

yeah it was definitely replacement tyres as I couldn’t work out how the sizes of cross ply worked. They appear to show the width in inches.

As you say a lot of the problem is how balloon like automation makes anything over 75 profile

Would Earl prefer efficiency and economy or pure grunt? Just testing the waters a little, as I’m having trouble deciding whether to go for a compact truck, a car-based ute, or a massive towing machine (with engine size around 7-9 litres) Help would be appreciated, as other than Mille Monti, I haven’t invested a ton of time into challenges that much.

Some of the inspirations are smaller, but utility score is increased by having a large cargo space so that’s what I"m going for. But smaller trucks do have better drivability, but it isn’t a priority

oh btw you’ll probably want to ban negative techpool as you can use -15 on turbos to save a ton of money

To avoid cheesefests - no negative TP, maximum TP in one area 4, negative quality limited at -3.

Tires, well, 100 would be accurate, but this is no CSR. The minimum profile is 80 - I was told this is a lot better than the 100 that create weird stats, but still not far off reality.

I was asked to clarify front disc brakes. They are not really period correct, but technically possible, so no realism bin there although I will comment on them being unrealistic.

As you know I am old as dust and I can tell you that in the US, radial tires were very uncommon until the late 60s - no joke. Yes, the 2CV had them already in the early 50s, but a basic pickup in the no man´s land of South Carolina definitely had no radial tire, not even aftermarket.

6 Likes

I can echo your comment on radials in the US. New cars weren’t equipped with them until 1974 or 1975.

As it seems the rule discussion phase has been used to make them acceptable for everyone and being balanced between realism and convenience, I hereby open the submissions until 9th of June, EOD GMT+1

3 Likes

16 Likes

12 Likes

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN
I PRESENT THE VEHICLE OF ALL TIME

BETTERDEALS ZWAARGEWICHT

Why build a truck with a cockpit in the front? You’re wasting space, that cockpit can be used for more space!!!

Well this vehicle solves that problem! With a cockpit above the bed, it allows for the whole area of the vehicle to be used for hauling!

It also means it can be extra small, lighter, and agile while being able to have just as much storage as your normal truck. Lets not forget it also being a whole lot cheaper, at 7500 Dollars!
This model comes from Japan, so it uses a 360cc Inline 3 with a mind-blowing 18 horsepower! More than enough to haul since it only weighs 465kg.

Buy now!

(Yes, I did in fact accidentally put the steering wheel on the wrong side. Oh well, it’s so small it probably doesn’t even go into car regulations anyways.)
JOC6A_-Djadania-_BetterDeals_Zwaargewicht.car|attachment (77.8 KB)

7 Likes

Looks like a Rust vehicle

2 Likes

From your friends at Van Zandt, we introduce the Brazos Ranch Duty, a pickup truck that has defined the 50s and roams high and wide in '59.

The 6-cylinder 190 cubic inch HD31 engine produces 100 horsepower and the 4-speed synchronated transmission yields 140 feetpound of torque. The Brazos guarantees 70 horsepower to the rear wheels at any speed up to 50 mph. And in first gear, that equates to over 70% the force of gravity in acceleration effort!

Hauling capacity is 1 ton (US) - and 1.2 tons in the rear bed is no challenge at all. With all-terrain tires and a locking rear differential the truck earns its Ranch Duty title, going most places a tractor can’t and a pack of mules won’t! Inside the all-weather-proof shaded cab, a bench seats three men. A whole work site on four wheels!

That all adds up to the best selling Van Zandt Brazos Ranch Duty - the truck that can do it all!

Photos

14 Likes
16 Likes

1959 GARLAND L200-B Stepside

whoopdie doo

Oh the trusty L200, revised and renewed for 1959, the L200 has recieved a clean new look, replacing the dated narrow-body A Platform in favour of the wider - and longer - B Platform.