Journey of ownership 2 - Rising Star - Part 2D (REVIEWS ON HOLD)

Yep, I am also out because LHC. So… @DrPepper2002 ?

PS: good luck Texas! This is a good time to invest in a caffeine IV delivery system :smiley:

It’s called a half-broken Mr. Coffee, amigo.

Alas i cannot host either as i have not done it before and have work commitments so i dont believe i could do it justice. @GassTiresandOil can you take the reigns?

It’s all the way down to me?! Darn, I can’t host either. How about you @Lanson ?

He’s already hosting QFC13, so I’m afraid it’s an unlikely prospect.

Correct, for now. We could also pause or do a “free build” round, or something to just coast through the holidays which usually screw up schedules.

I think it would be fun to take these cars and “soup 'em up” for racing and see if we can create some carnage in Beam.

Well, if Chema can’t host either, at least I can.

Up to @Ch_Flash now, then Chema

At least it won’t come back down to myself :joy:

just a question, but why am i ranked last?

Sorry, I have to pass on this one, still have a lot to learn before I can host a challenge in a good way.

Up to you @ChemaTheMexican then! If not, Knugcab will be our gracious host for the next segment of Kenneth’s life.

Well, one wild guess, your car didn’t really get a favourable review, I guess the reasons are all written in that one? Sorry if I sound like an ass but I don’t really think that a host should need to explain him/herself more than that.

Also, sorry @Ch_Flash for somehow missing out on you there…

Every challenge (pretty much) is judged using a spreadsheet - except LHC and other ‘showcase/flavor text’ ones, which is why they’re easier to turn around. In this challenge, it was simply a matter of you getting the lowest ‘score’ in that spreadsheet when everything was said and done. The reasons for that - or, translated into spreadsheet language, the areas where you scored low - are in your Round 1 elimination text, as Knugcab said.

Yeah no I can’t, Im too occupied with classes, so @Knugcab up to you

2 Likes

In case anyone is wondering - yes I will host. However, I have some interesting ideas on how to handle techpool that I need to check out more in depth first.

3 Likes

Yeah maybe just 3 points total across all lines so you have to pick carefully, and limit the amount of points per line to 1 or 2 to avoid cheese? That was my initial plan on QFC13. It would be more fair if all that tech pool cost the company something equal, such as higher cost to build or something.

PART 2B - LIVIN LA VIDA LOCA
October of 1962 - Kansas City, Missouri, USA

How have things been going for Kenneth lately? Frankly, pretty good. He is now seated in Kansas City, and he has fulfilled his dreams, now flying for TWA. Thanks to the huge steps medical science had been taking after World War 2, his father survived his health problems, and now he is alive and well even though age is of course starting to show.

His so called romantic involvement from seven years ago is now a distant memory and he has not been putting any major energy into changing that thing, which is starting to worry some of his more conservative relatives, who aren’t exactly comfortable with his explanation that he likes “living free”. Of course, for some certain things we are still in the dark age, and if they should really know that his “romantic involvement” learned him that he wasn’t really attracted to women, it would not worry them any less, so at least in 1962, still his dark secret.

And then it was the car.

Cars were getting long in the tooth quite quickly back then, and even if he liked the Turból when he bought it, it had started to show its own will lately. Besides, it was starting to go down some spiral when it came to its image, from “cool” to “old and quirky” (And that the Chevrolet Camaro eight years after this more or less, in his opinion, would copy its front end, was of course still unknown). And then it was the horsepower race… Turból was not the fastest alternative when it was new, and now the rage was hundreds and hundreds of horsepowers.

He had been looking into replacing it for a while, but it was a bit unclear what would really be better. However, he was growing into the thoughts of accepting a larger car. He showed a really big interest in the growing personal luxury coupé segment that seemed to be a great jack of all trades. Some of them actually had a little more nimble dimensions than the usual barges of the era, and even if some of them were huge, they were at least not as boring as the regular cars were in this era. Yet, they were much more comfortable than sports cars, while still retaining much of a sporty feeling, and they were fast, with powerful engines. Well, being somewhat older and more mature than in 1955, it probably was the car for him. And it would be kind of an extension of himself, living his carefree lifestyle, not being tied up with a wife, a bunch of kids, a dog and a Vaughn Bahama wagon, all the boring stuff some of his old friends were into now.

Most of all he wanted a new car, but it was not a requirement. He could accept a 1962 model being left in stock since the 1963 models had arrived relatively recently, after all. If it was a possibility for him to get a REALLY awesome car, he could even accept a slightly used 1961 model or even 1960, but there was really the limit too.

PRIORITIES
:star: :star::star:
STYLE
He feels that the car is an extension of himself, he wants to stand out from the crowd, and in a positive way. So, no dorky, boxy, boring rides here, he is not turning 70 in many years to come.

PERFORMANCE
The horsepower wars is all the rage. He does not want to be left behind.

COMFORT
He is now turning older and if he is going to travel long distances, it should be like in his favourite couch at home.

:star::star:
DRIVEABILITY
Many gadgets to lessen your work as a driver did become commonplace during this time, like power steering, automatic transmission (none of them required, will be looking at actual stats) etc. - something that drove as a truck would be out of fashion.

SPORTINESS
Actual performance will be taken more into consideration than sportiness values, but keep in mind, he is not turning 70 in many years to come, so don’t overlook it.

SAFETY
It was slowly becoming a hotter topic during this era and things like padded dashboards and dished steering wheels were touted in the brochures. As a pilot he probably knows how inertia will not always work in your favour either and can see the point behind a lap belt. Still, far from the most important topic in some years to come.

RELIABILITY
He knows that the more tech (which he wants), the more parts can break, and he will accept that, but only to a point. If he spends lots of money on a new car, he probably will be disappointed if it does not start in the morning, or catch fire when you try to change the radio station.

SERVICE COSTS
Even if he has money now, he does not like to be skinned at the dealer.

:star:
FUEL ECONOMY
This is US in the 60s, say no more. Though, not even then people liked to pay more than they needed to, so better economy is not necessarily a drawback.

PURCHASE PRICE
He has a budget and he is not worried to use up all of it, so making a car worse just to make it cheaper is probably a bad idea. Yet, if two cars are identical otherwise he won’t choose the costlier option.

PRACTICALITY
He wants something better than a full blown sports car in this area now, still it is only slightly taken into consideration.

RULES

YEAR, CAR TRIM: 1960-63. Also, it is NOT allowed to use a body with a later unlock year than the trim of your car, regardless of techpool.

YEAR, CAR MODEL, ENGINE FAMILY, ENGINE VARIANT: Car trim year or older

TECHPOOL: See first post in this thread about how techpool works. If you are going to make a 1963 car, default +5 techpool is what will be used. However, I have decided to try something new here. To simulate that he can cram a somewhat better car into his budget if going for an used one, you will get one techpool point per year, that you can put in an area where you have not improved your techpool before.

For example, if you make a 1962 car, you can have up to +6 techpool in one area. A 1961 car can have up to +6 techpool in two areas, and a 1960 car can have up to +6 techpool in three areas.

You are not allowed to “borrow” techpool points, for example, you are not allowed to make techpool +4 in one area for a 1962 car to be allowed to bump up another area to +7, and you can’t put all the techpool points in one area (for example, you are not allowed to put +8 on interiors and have the rest at +5 if making a 1960 car).

But keep in mind that the prestige of a new car will be weighed in heavily (especially for 1960-61 models, a 1962 model somewhat less since it will still be seen as a “new” car still in stock at the dealer, but still less prestigeous than a 1963). Using techpool to make the car cheaper will probably not be a good idea, using it to make a better car fit inside the budget might work, though.

ALLOWED BODIES: 2/3 door bodies only. No convertibles. Some bodies are listed as 2 door sedans while still being able to look as a coupé and vice versa, and frankly, I don’t care about that as long as it looks right. There is also some bodies classed as “hatchback” or “3 doors” which still has a coupé-ish look to them that might fit this challenge. It is thin ice but they CAN work in case they look right. Remember that the customer does not want an Austin Futura so whatever the rules says, a “hatchback” that does not fit in styling wise will not be considered by him. Wagons, utes etc. are a no-no.

SEATING: No bench seats up front, that junk belongs to “your father’s Oldsmobile”. Back seats are required. If you want to cram in a full size bench in the rear for lore reasons or such, fine, I will allow it, but the customer will probably prefer either +2 seating or 2 full seats. (+3 bench feels like something from extended cab fullsize pickups and does not belong here IMO).

QUALITY: Because of techpool sort of turning everything upside down ATM, people have been asking about how I view quality. No, I will not bin someone because of “quality spam” as long as it is realistic. But if you think that it is a good idea to, for example, quality spam stuff that is too old/simple for a car this era/class, put +15 quality in one era on an otherwise 0 quality car, or scatter -6 here and +8 there, you can already now rethink your choices. If you still want to try, don’t whine when your brochure ends up as a crumpled paper in Kenneth’s wastepaper basket.

MAXIMUM PRICE: $18 000 AMU
MAXIMUM ENGINE ET: 65
MAXIMUM TRIM ET: 65
(Yes, limits are kept from last time since my test cars shows that you can build an acceptable and period correct car from this class inside them)

FUEL: Super leaded is the preferred one. Regular leaded allowed but won’t give any major benefits.

INTERIORS: Not needed and won’t be judged, but I will review it if you do provide one.

REALISM: Unrealistic engineering or styling might result in a bin, that includes, but is not limited to, race parts, semi slick tyres etc.

(One words about radials. They are a great stat booster and had slowly started to appear in the era, but were still really uncommon. I strongly suggest using crossplies even if I won’t outright ban radials. Keep in mind that “having to order expensive tyres from France” might make him think twice. US tyre manufacturers were still concentrating on crossplies)

NAMING CONVENTION:
Car model/trim: JOC2B-yourname / Make and model
Engine family/variant: JOC2B-yourname / Name of engine

DEADLINES

SUBMISSIONS OPEN: 15th of November, 5 PM (GMT+1). Rules discussion open until that.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: 2nd of December, 5 PM (GMT+1). PM me the .car-file and put an ad/description in the thread before that.

INSPIRATIONS

Notes: Yes, there is all american inspirations here. The reason is that even if there is european cars built on the same concept, in this era, they were often very low volume, hand built cars, and/or featuring smaller, less powerful engines. But since this is Automation, making an american car is not a requirement, if you have an import that fulfills his wishes and needs, he will absolutely consider it.

10 Likes

Rivieras are sooooo pretty!!!

Yup, I love both this generation, not to mention one of my childhood dream cars, the boat tail (for some reason, I don’t care much for the generation in between), also lately I have really fallen in love with the 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix. The roof just makes such a huge (positive) difference compared to a regular Bonneville or similar. So well, felt kind of fitting that I was able to host this round even if it was under kind of weird circumstances. :rofl:

2 Likes

After some questions, loosened the body regulations a little bit.