Killrob’s “The Fastest Cars in the World” Challenge

I’m off to a rough start, but I will get there.

I did notice that if you set the markets to list mode it does not block out the non existent markets.

looks like budget trims may be the way toward profits, as implied in both the brief and what Der Bayer said.

However, does that mean engineering a separate engine… I’m absolutely horrendous at making budget cars work in this kind of setting :thinking:

That’s what makes it difficult, yes :slight_smile: Sometimes I find it is enough to just reduce variant capacity a bit (to get higher reliability and drivability) and detune the engine somewhat. In extreme cases yes, you’ll need two engine factories! Just be aware that Automation is bugged in that if you give a factory with two engine factories to a project needing just one engine factory, the second one will be lost forever. :stuck_out_tongue: Makes it slightly harder!

Edit: when you engineer two engines, make sure to select basically identical components, that is considered in the engineering project and if you make two engines that are the same apart from bore & stroke you basically don’t lose any time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hmm. I was never particularly good at the company logistics side of things. Maybe I will see if I can keep to a single vision and GT/Hyper it all the way :joy:

(note my edit above)
Don’t forget that neither Hyper nor Super even exist at the start xD

1 Like

Yeah, although I was able to make good GT and GTP cars out of it at the start. Seemed reasonable if I kept production low enough, but that’s why I asked about the budget and profit margin for the next model: I wouldn’t be selling all that many cars!

Edit: made such a good car for 1955 (400bhp muthafuckas!) and forgot that in a single trim single plot campaign, cancelling the production while engineering a new lot only works if you have decent stores of desirable stock left over. Micromanaging the stock so I had none to sell for 4 years killed me :joy: ok try, try again

Ok, I found a suitable body for 1964, the non-Jaguary thing will host a 6+ liter inline 6. I’m not using this body because it has pretty cheaty aerodynamics: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802869825
Looking forward to playing the next decade, as Gasmea will definitely help :slight_smile:

Take 7, after a prolonged break from the Campaign mode, and I’ve decided maybe sinking insane amounts of money into a phonograph is not such a great idea. How about going for the racy end of things…?

Safety? What is that? Is bad for sportiness, must go faster! (went from a desirability of 80 to 98 just by taking ALL the safety out. Now if you so much as bump into a fence you will die.)

I really should consider recording this, if I had the time. Would be so hilariously bad.

EDIT: Finally figured out the multi trim business. Not going broke, here we gooooooo! :grin:

EDIT 2: Wait, forgot, there’s a minimum safety score in Fruinia thus rendering all of my cars unsellable precisely when they’re due to be sold starting 1950 DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (back to the drawing board)

5 Likes

just from this one post alone…

there’s just so many

“OOOOHHHHHHH-AAAAAHHHH” moments and you’re so eager to discovering it again.

this is strop figuring out new grounds.
so amusing, even more amusing if you make it recorded :wink:

2 Likes

Most likely I will start recording on the week starting the 13th March, because that’s the first time I’m post exams and actually get back home.

I mean after pretty much tomorrow I’m not going to be able to play this again for a while so the discovery will just resume from where I left off haha

DuesenBAM 1984 Status Report

Short interim conclusion at the beginning of 1984: DuesenBAM is doing fine, having sold more than 360,000 cars so far, still holding on to their inline 6 engines, still naturally aspirated, survived the leaded fuel ban and invested into a medium sized factory in the 70s. The company has got B$1.2 in the bank thanks to an insane economic boom in Gasmea, which has just now come to an end.

How to spend the money now? Research? Too expensive, better save for worse times and expensive projects in the upcoming decades. Maybe bigger factories will be necessary in the future though as cars are becoming more and more complex.

Regarding the videos: I’m planning to release the videos according to Killrob’s schedule. Still have to do the voice-over for all of them.

1 Like

Cheaty aerodynamics, really? I thought I’d made it pretty realistic for the game… it can just take gigantic engines. :thinking: Might be worth reviewing a bit before sending it to Andy.

and WAŻDUK PLANT moments

The mod version has got an effective area of .505 m² (fastback version), which is quite low in general if you look at the boxy body shape. The version in the game (limo, no fastback available) is set to 0.768, a far more realistic value in my opinion.

“Cheaty” is maybe a bit too harsh, I just thought it was not very realistic compared to other, comparable bodies.

Don’t worry, didn’t take it as harsh. I based the data off the real value of the car and lowered it to compensate for the lack of grilles, and then the wagons are slightly lower Cd and fastback a bit lower than that since those are more aerodynamic shapes. I’m still going to go and review the drag and lift values to make sure everything is fine for it before sending it off. :slight_smile:

To get back on track, I’m very interested in this challenge and will finally have the free time to get started soon!

I have no idea how you managed all that with just NA I6 engines, Martin, that’s certainly something! I’ll sure watch all of your videos, probably going to learn a thing or two. xD I find it hard enough with high-revving V12s haha.

My starting parameters:

So far made it to 1964 without bankrupting myself. However, the first 2 models had to be sold at a major loss just to move the inventory. It’s extremely difficult with maxed out competition.

Will the large initial starting cash be enough cushion to survive? Has ACD Motors built up enough brand prestige to win over well-heeled buyers? Stay tuned to find out!

Haha, now that is an approach I didn’t think of :stuck_out_tongue: are you trying to get through it with only ever making exactly 100 cars of everything or something? That competition you set up there looks killer for games without any restrictions, but how do you compete against that with all these ridiculous restrictions? xD Cheers!

1 Like

Not quite. :smile: I’m making 3 trims per model. The Duesenberg trim is the record setter, the Auburn trim is the “budget” sports version, and the Cord trim is the luxury variant.

Indeed!™ the restrictions do make it tricky, but it’s all in good fun! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to compete in the long run, but I am curious as to how it plays out. Worst case, I’ll restart with more realistic starting parameters. :stuck_out_tongue:

Progress screen:

2 Likes

How are people approaching the whole “one model line” thing? After several attempts to stringently stick to using a single lot and therefore cancelling production of the first model as soon as the second one started being engineered, I’m starting to doubt I’ll hit the right balance. Once I had too much stock (because I was selling GTP in the middle of an economic downturn). The other time I ran out in 4 months and it takes 4 years to engineer these cars, but having stock for 4 years seems like a horrendous idea…