(LCV4.2 Alpha) "The temperature of the turbo has exceeded safe limits."

Let me preface this with some praise. I’d like to say; great work on the engine revamp. 90% of my time playing the game is spent making engines, and I really love the new turbo builder. However, there is a small issue that doesn’t make any sense to me.

As the title alludes to, this message appears consistently when I try to make heavily turbocharged engines. Like other people that make track-focused missiles in this game, this is my idea of fun. Compressor surge and turbo shredding aren’t an issue to me, as I am aware of the handy compressor map; which involves making sure the squiggly line fits inside the coloured pointy paint blob.

Turbo temperature; on the other hand, doesn’t occur when the power curve is in the seppuku zone. It happens when the temperature gets too high, and there isn’t an active solution I can elect to undergo; the only solution is a passive one, which is to dial back the boost. Without doing wack stuff like database editing (a database I can’t actually find in this version, by the way), I’m not going to be able to make those track demons I crave to create.

This isn’t the massive issue that I’m making it out to be, but it’s one that I find unnecessarily restrictive, since there are a fair few road cars that are able to be turbocharged to an extent well beyond what I can replicate (namely, the 1000+hp monsters created to make more power than the Bugatti Veyron before 2010 or so when people started taking the challenge seriously. This includes the Melling Hellcat, Weber Faster One and the Lotec Sirius.)

1 Like

You can. There’s a button that takes you right to it on the car designer menu.

Found it, but it doesn’t appear to work. Welp.

Turbo temperature was just added for the most part specifically for this build. You can avoid it by using less compression too, and with enough tweaking, you can also shrink the intercooler to deal with the temperatures.

I know there’s plans for further changes as to what causes heat buildup, and one of those changes is the manifold will have more of an effect on heat, as well as boost creep.

Okie-dokie. I’ll give that a go and see if that works out.

Dumping fuel into the thing (like, 15.0 to 12.0 AFR) can also help, but minimally

You need to increase compression to lower temperature, yes, you read that right.
When you add a lot of energy in the combustion, it is the decompression ratio that makes it cool off. So high compression: higher combustion temperature, but lower exhaust gas temperature.

But yes, more fuel!!! Larger turbine also helps.

With the next update I have a significant rework of some of these mechanics in.

5 Likes

It’s now significantly less frustrating to make a heavily turbocharged car. Thanks so much, team!

Here is our newly created standard reply to turbo temperature issues players have :slight_smile:

1. More realistic expectations, … please. This is not a sub-10s car simulator, Automation things you’ll need to be able to not melt while holding that power in a sustained way.
  2. More fuel! You need to dump a lot into it if you want to cool that intake charge.
  3. More compression (yes, you read that right). Compression is also decompression after burning all that fuel, so the more compression you use, the hotter the intake charge before combustion and the cooler the exhaust gases.
  4. Less exhaust backpressure. Makes the turbine have to work less hard. Increase that exhaust diameter.
  5. Less pressure drop over the intake, make sure it is adequately flowing. The lower the pre-compressor pressure, the harder the compressor needs to work, which makes everything hotter.
  6. Larger intercooler. The lower the temperature on the intake side, the lower it will be on the exhaust side.
  7. Larger turbine. Your turbine is likely struggling to provide that power to the compressor at the high-flow end. Make it larger to lower temperatures. Bye bye spool!
  8. Better exhaust headers. The better ones have higher temperature resistance.
  9. Higher turbo quality. Turbo quality makes temperature resistance higher. 10C per point.
  10. Watch the compressor map, temperature graph, and pressure graphs carefully, they hold a lot of information you should take in if you venture out into crazy turbo land.
3 Likes