Le Mans Hyper Car Racing Challenge Competition 2017+

Welcome to the Le Mans Hyper Car Racing. Here, we want to see your hyper cars and their time on the Automation track (if anyone has a Nurburing Nordshlief track, that would be greatly appreciated).

The requirements:
Car year must be 2017 or newer (that means it says 2018 or newer (Advertisement created by Ford back in the 1920’s)).
Engine must be at least 4.5 liters and have 1000 hp and smaller than 8 liters
Cars must go at least 220 mph
Cars can weigh no more than 3500 lbs but more than 2500 lbs
Your Car can have multiple options for engines (not required)
Your car must have headlights, taillights, handles, indicators, and VISIBLE exhaust pipes.
Cars must have a minimum price of $100,000 and a maximum of $500,000 pre staff check
Cars must have a V8 or V8 flatplane
You must have one wing
You can only post one car
Your car must be original (no pre existing car from the real world)
You car must have all light weight parts
Cars must be fuel injected and have turbochargers. No Natural asperations and Carburattors are out of style.
These cars are not mass production cars.
Your car must have either monoque or space frame.

Everything else is up to you…

Broad in some places, strange in others, more like.

I like overpowered car challenges, except for two fundamental issues: 1) what is this really and how is this going to give us a different leaderboard from the usual leaderboards already in existence, and 2) just about every single requirement is confusing and either needs changing, discarding or clarifying, because as it stands, the rules are completely dysfunctional. As a player who spent most of his >1500+ logged hours playing this game making hypercars, I can point you in a few directions:

Use the search function. @Der_Bayer’s Green Hell track has been a staple of our car testing for over two years!

Just give us a designated model year as specified by the game. None of this having to add or take away a year, that’ll guarantee most of the entries you receive will have the wrong year and you’ll have to accept revisions.

Why 4.5L? Hybrid powerplants notwithstanding, the McLaren P1 has a 3.8 bi-turbo V8. And at least 1000bhp? Sure, ok, if that requirement was independent of displacement, I do this too sometimes, though I assure you, you don’t need 1000bhp to make a hypercar, particularly if the car is lightweight. In fact those requirements will preclude a number of smaller bodies with tiny engine bays, which becomes a big problem down the track… Either that or it will force people to use intolerably high stroke because they have to go small bore.

I would suggest leaving the displacement open, and switching to a minimum power:weight ratio of, say, 500bhp:metric ton, or, better yet, forget that, just have a qualifying time of “must be able to lap Nordschleife in 7:03 or less” or something.

Unless the gearing is completely stuffed, anything approaching proper tuning with 1000bhp will do 200mph. Even the trucks with the aerodynamic profile of a brick. I would personally drop this and trust the community to know what “hypercar” means (trust me, we all do), but at the same time I understand you wish to stipulate minimum performance requirements and I’ve suggested you drop some others.

This is a problem. Hypercars are designed to be as light as possible, yes, but not all hypercars are lightweight. Consider that the Aventador SV outputs only 750bhp, weighs something like 1550kg, and still makes it around Nordschleife under 7 minutes, putting it within cooee of a 918. Similarly, in Automation, with your required outputs being what they are, you would be fairly precluding a number of very viable, potentially competitive choices. Some people might be inclined to make a 1750hp AWD car, and at a minimum that’d be 1650kg. This is a racing challenge so everybody is going to be focusing on lightening the cars as much as they can already, so you should actually be focusing on limiting ways that people can exploit this.

A Hypercar still needs to be road legal, and in order to do that, they need a base amount of safety. I suggest that instead of a minimum weight, you should instead have a minimum safety that allows the car to be sold in Fruinina, namely, 40.0, otherwise you’ll just be forcing people to use zero safety -15 slider to get under the weight and go faster. Not ideal.

Huh?

Ok, now I’m really confused. Why do we get extra points for having extra engines? Also, what points? Are we being scored? You haven’t mentioned anything about this before.

Seems like a lot of extra thought about something that makes zero difference.

This is a pet peeve of mine: people who stipulate the car must look like a car (handles being controversial now thanks to Tesla’s handle hiding tech, I might add). And what does “visible exhaust pipes” mean??? Does that mean we are required to use the “exhaust” fixtures? Are vents made to ostensibly resemble exhaust pipes acceptable? What about those cars where the exhaust outlet is hidden by the bodywork, but it still exists? Could we call that an exhaust port and leave it at that?

Hint: That was a rhetorical question. The answer is, forget about the visible exhaust pipes.

Okay, this is where I stop and ask you to think for a moment.

You said this was a hypercar challenge.

Now you say that we’re not allowed to build things with the price point of a Bugatti, Ferrari, or Koenigsegg.

So tell me, is this, or is this not a hypercar challenge???

The real answer to this is that your price points may potentially be less unreasonable than they seem, but you will need to have undergone a lot of playtesting to find out exactly how and why. Add to this mix that the factory settings are very finnicky and don’t export properly, so we tend to ignore them, but this causes prices to be unreasonably low with highly exclusive vehicles. You’ll need to be intimately familiar with how this aspect of the game works to define a strategy to account for it. I’m in favour of using the factory tabs as this will allow you to also define hypercar on grounds of exclusivity, whilst also applying limitations to the total engineering time (so you don’t end up having a slew of cars from 2017 that were being developed since the 80s. Even the Veyron didn’t spend that long in development.) This will also allow you to set a proper budget, and proper competitiveness score with proper markup requirements. The disadvantage is that you’ll have to check everything manually.

I strongly dislike this rule for two reasons: 1) if there’s a V6, why is there no i6? 2) hypercars aren’t designed to be sensible. If somebody wants a rough-idling 3L turbo 4-pot that’s about to melt down everytime it revs past 9000 just because it can, then I say you should let them. Please toss this rule entirely.

At this point I see you are editing the rules and the last rules are even worse than the original set. Please slow down, so I might be able to keep up!

Why not none, or two? And what about lips? Some hypercars eschew wings entirely and go for flaps and undertray. Leave it free, this isn’t some kind of homologated racing series.

This would be ok if not for the fact you have not given us one iota of information about what we’re playing for.

Another stop right there moment. Why? Is there any reason? Does this mean the slew of prototypes that I have sitting in my folder which I may or may not have posted to my thread are now disallowed?

This is daft, don’t do it.

Aside from being extrordinarily vague, see above for why this is 100% superfluous.

The LaFerrari has a naturally aspirated engine, as does the Aventador SV. You gonna say that’s not allowed?

I will agree in practice with a practical requirement for fuel injection, but instead of limiting the part, which I can guarantee you will piss everybody off, you should stipulate a more rational requirement, like emissions. An emissions target of <300 (for the car) or so would be very handy as it also implicitly requires you use a proper cat, which reflects real world conditions.

Please consider what I’ve written before going any further!

6 Likes

Things I don’t like:

Engine type restriction
minimum engine capacity
minimum speed
minimum horsepower
no natural aspiration
minimum money spent
maximum weight
test time on ATT and not Le Mans

Most of why this rule set is not going to work has been posted by Strop, so here are the actually important things that you did not pay any attention to

1. Gearbox limitations
  2. Tire limitations
  3. Tire quality limitations
  4. Undercooling limitations
  5. Reliability limitations
  6. Safety limitations
  7. Ecology limitations (We’re talking about carbs and N/A being out of style, but we aren’t talking about ecology which is IN style?)
  8. Noise limitations
  9. Maximum braking distance limitations

Oh, and also. You’ve written all of that and not a single word about how we will be scored. Based on the lap time? That’s not racing. Is there going to be racing? Are we just doing hotlaps? how many rounds? Does that extra engine that is not required give me any extra points?

You need to listen to @strop and @squidhead they know what will make a good challenge and what will not and there is no shame in putting a challenge on hold until you understand the game and physics and how it works with these challenges (don’t worry dude we aren’t being rude or anything like that we just want to see good well thought out challenges that get finished) Geez I have even just had a failed attempt and I am on my 5th challenge

Close the thread.

So much for critism.

1 Like