[LHC] - Letara History Challenge - Rd 5 [Results being posted]

All makes sense to me. The locking diff was my biggest concern, so I’m glad it was addressed! I figured this would be the way forward but wanted to say everything I was thinking of instead of just one thing. Thanks! Sorry if any of that came off condescending- reading it back it’s a little snooty and I do apologize.

2 Likes

I would hope no one is going to run 17" wheels on a 1974 rally car though. I assume 14 was about normal for the era? Was rallycross as we know it even a thing back then

3 Likes

I know that in the States, normal wheel sizes ranged from 13" to 15" and NO LARGER. That’s right around the time radial tires started being used in America, and it took the US about a decade after to introduce anything with 16" wheels.

My father still has a 1975 Pontiac, and it brags about its “Radial Tuned Suspension” right on the dash, like it was the hot new thing lol.

5 Likes

Rallycross was starting to take off by then, yes. But it was quite far from what it is today, more or less “take off the lights from your regular rally car and bolt them back again when you’re done”…

6 Likes

Oh that’s pretty cool, I’ll have to research this further when I get home. My rallycross knowledge isn’t that great tbh

All New for 1980: Mitsushita Kuruan / Sesta

All New for 1980, Mitsushita Kuruan and Mitsushita Sesta. Following the success of 5 previous generation of cars, the new 1980 Mitsushita Kuruan is set to conquer the D-Segment market anywhere once again.

We at Letaran Mitsushita by Yanmex, believe that safety and environment is the utmost importance aspect in improving family mobility. The new Kuruan is thus made with both firmly in mind.

1980 Mitsushita Kuruan is all new from the ground up, with sophisticated double wishbone suspension front and rear providing the right mixture of ride quality and road holding capabilities.

Powering the Kuruan is the new range of double overhead camshaft, multi-valve, inline 6-cylinder engine. Not only is it smooth as silk and powerful, all consumer Kuruan for Letara is equipped with catalytic converter which combined with electronic fuel injection makes it one of the cleanest car available anywhere on earth.

Also introducing for 1980, the new Mitsushita Sesta 2-door coupe. The racy and stylish new personal luxury car utilizing the capable Kuruan chassis. Which combining with new twin-turbocharged powerplant makes it a proper performance machine.

All Mitsushita Kuruan and Sesta is also equipped with the latest in safety technology, we strived to make the safest and toughest machine we are capable of and we feel that we have achieved exactly that.

On sale now.

1980 Mitsushita Kuruan KT

We at Yanmex Mitsushita have received the government request for a “Highway Interceptor” to provide service to the newly open network of interstate highways peacekeeping. We hereby have submitted the proprosal based on our new 6th generation Kuruan family sedan which have already gone into similar service in it’s home country of Japan.

We hope you find this satisfactory.

8 Likes

RPG intensifies

Letara, 1974

Ludger Frehse looked happy. Primus finally had an own factory here - which was possible due to the success of the third-generation Publica. Especially the ST sold like bread, and the GLS was still strong in it’s final year.
The telephone rang, it was the Hetvesian general manager Klaus Degen, the successor of Friedrich “Fritz” Huppenbauer.
“Hey Ludger, I heard you wanted to talk to me?”
“Thanks, yes, how is the D5A? I might have an idea who would be one of the first customers to test our last pre-production-model before they’ll be on the market.”
“Yes, that Diesel engine is already making progress, why?”
“WIll it arrive in 1976 as planned? I promised the Letaran traffic minister five police cars for an anti-alcohol campaign. Three Primus Astrona 2100D and two Globus Comet D27, delivery should be done in late '75, giving us three or four months of feedback until these cars are in the showrooms.”
“Sure, no problem, what a great duty for our cars to prove their reliability and economy. Do you have a plan what car to sell next? The Publica will recieve it’s facelift, do you want to see it?”
“Yes, book me a flight and get me a car at the airport, it’s about time!”

please note: Until 1977, police cars in Letara were blue instead of green

Hetvesia, 1974

A metallic blue Primus Imperator turbo rolled up on the airport exit.
“Oh, you didn’t send a driver but came yourself, what an honor, Klaus!”
“Yes, I am still grateful that you stayed in Letara. This cleared the way for my promotion, so thanks again. We are heading to the city center, where a new Publica CL will await us.”
“Great. Let’s see if the Letarans prefer the Astrona or the Comet. The next generations might play a role, I heard rumors the highway patrol will renew most of it’s fleet for the new decade. Maybe I should send them another Interceptor, that Gasmean special model for the GHP. I am sure by 1980 we’ll have a second generation, and it will be hard work to find out which of the three models suits Letara best.”

“Ewww, Ludger, that won’t be neccessary. The Comet will fade out, and so will the Interceptor, even if the Gasmean police allows us to keep the leaded-gasoline engine without converter untill '76.”
“What?”
“The oil crisis has hit Globus so hard that they lost one third of their sales. On top of that, the old-fashioned V8 engines are hit by the new emission regulations in Gasmea. I think Globus won’t make it.”
“Bad news! So continuing with the small Publica is your advice?”, asked Frehse, still in disbelief that Globus would be killed after not even 15 years of existance.
“Yep. It’s proven, the people know it, the people like it.”

Gasmea, a week later
A bus arrived at a lonely desert dealership, 40 miles away from Belasco. The managing director was making a trip around the country to boost the moral of the employees. As Frehse didn’t want to disturb, he took the public transport - a Globus Omni. Crazy to think that badge could disappear from the roads.

The Globus managing director, Lionel Lomax, looked even worse than Frehse had thought.
“Police cars, eh?”, he stuttered. “Here, Gasmans best interceptor, it’s about to loose 65 horsepower soon. And nowadays the police complains about economy and that the car is tight for it’s size, or better said, smaller vehicles offer the same space. This is the most dedicated interceptor, made exclusively for the police force!”
“Well, is it true that Globus will be shut down?”

“It looks that way”, Lomax said with a sad voice. “The Atlas is an old design, the Comet struggles and will be replaced by the new Astrona, and the Grand Cruiser, selling still surprisingly strong considering how hard times are for landyachts with big V8s, is on the rocks… It’s said that the Grand Cruiser won’t recieve another facelift and will be replaced with the new Imperator. Those bosses are insane! At first, they founded Globus to move their Primus car to Frunian and Hetvesian style, just to kill us off a decade later and to re-Gasmeanize their sedans.”

“So, as I search for a police car, there won’t be anything after I get those two Comets?”
“Definitely no.”
“What does the competition do?”
“If we only knew. Rumors say Vaughn builds a new luxury car that is as roomy as the Grand Cruiser, but much lighter and more efficient.”
“Vaughn?”, pondered Frehse, “Yes, I heard about them. They’re not bad, to be fair, but Primus Globus shouldn’t fear them. The journalists visiting the Letaran auto show yesterday voted the Astrona to second, ahead of their new Firebolt, and the Astrona is already in it’s sixth year.”
“You sound like you have a plan.”
“I do. Do you have a car left?”
“Did you look at our sales report? I can give you ten, if you want. Look at all these unsold vehicles!”
“Which one is fast and filled with gas?”
“That purple one.”, answered Lomax, not really knowing what Frehse had in mind.
“All right, I’ll see you in a week in the headquarter. I’ll call you!”

The Globus Comet Fastback pulled away with a roaring V8, but the roar wasn’t the same as it was before the times of two-way converters and unleaded gasoline - that costs a fortune…

5 Likes

Sorry to rain on your parade, but…

Letaran police headquarters ca. 1976

The under-secretary of the Letaran highway patrol picked up the phone to call the commander-in-chief:
“Remember that memo from two years ago from the damn Public Relations and Lobby department? You know the one about some donation of five police cars?”
…“What are you talking about?”…
“Well, there is this company that wants to support an anti-alcohol campaign…”
“Oh yes! That is a great idea…”
“Yes, but they also want to donate five cars to the highway patrol as a showcase.”
“Oh?”
“Well… they have arrived sir. We just took possession, but there are some issues sir.”
“What kind of issues?”
“You better see this for yourself sir.”

The two headed down to the central garage where a group of mechanics surrounded the five new cars.

“But… these have blue colouring! Why would they have blue colouring? We never had blue on our police cars, they’ve always been green. I guess if we want to use these a paintjob is in order. Are they at least any good?” - asked the chief as they approached the lead mechanic.
“Well sir… apparently these units run on diesel. That poses a problem, since the only diesel available in Letara is reserved for heavy-duty vehicles, trains, and ships. We don’t have the infrastructure to easily fuel these cars.”
“Soooo…”
“Yes. We have five one-ton paper weights on our hands.”
The commaner sighed and turned to the under-secretary…
“Ok, can you please contact the good folks at Primus, profusely thank them for their gift, but ask - as politely as you can - for a return address? Or at least a shipment of gasoline engines that our mechanics can mount in these cars…”
“Yes sir.”

15 Likes

Well, I already expected another goof, but this might be picked up later in the roleplay, just after I figured out what to do with this disgrace.

At least the 1980 one looks right and uses regular leaded.

The new Astrona III for '78 replaces both the Astrona II and the Globus Comet MK2, it is as roomy and comfortable as a Comet but stays in charakter for an Astrona, being easy to use at high speeds and overall fun to drive.
The specs of the police version are top secret, rumors say the 1980 model recieved the recently overworked engine of the Imperator, which means at least 170 horsepower, maybe even more.

Yes, I know the plate is wrong, but please mind it’s an early prototype. :wink:

8 Likes

What’s stopping me from breaking the rules and creating a disguised police car? Are those allowed?

I mean, it is allowed as in it won’t be an instabin, but it is not what is asked for…

A scrapppy war-time industry turned ambitious car builder, Van Zant Motor Company is today the most prestigious and successful auto company based in Texas. In 1942, the company formed to manufacture steel aircraft machinery, but when relieved of government mandates in 1946 focused on the post-war automobile boom. Van Zandt survived its own deadly competition in the 1950s and as other US firms failed to keep pace, emerged as one of the top builders in the US by the 60s.

In the 1970s, Van Zandt Motor Company’s market expands across the globe. In Houston, terminals reserved for loads of cars and trucks are kept busy with constant production. Thousands of vehicles destined for export are delivered by rail from factories scattered across the southern United States. Still more customers await.

In the port-zone of the small nation of Letara another new Van Zandt import office is established.

Important relevant papers are signed and notices circulate among important relevant people. Telephones blare. Steel presses roar. Without too much fanfare, cargo ships with the first Van Zandt imports unload their wares. Letarans will set their eyes on Texas-crafted cars for the first time very soon.

-~-~-~-~-

Van Zandt Motor Company has registered as a new automobile corporation in Letara and expects to import all deliveries into Letara for the forseeable future.

6 Likes

1978 Walkenhorst R1

9 Likes

1984 Wolfram Wolfhound

Yay, another retcon of prior lore!

Inspired by the 1974 WLF-6 concept car, the 1984 Wolfhound was a clear sign that Wolfram had weathered the storm of the oil crisis, and was ready to re-establish itself as one of the world’s premier performance car manufacturers. Its 3.6L all-alloy MPEFI I6 delivered 300 bhp to the rear wheels via a 5-speed manual gearbox and geared LSD, while staggered high-performance tires wrapped around 16-inch magnesium wheels generated immense grip. 4-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS helped bleed off excess speed, while dual wishbone suspension at each corner provided world-class handling with a modicum of comfort.

The Wolfhound also had a premium interior and stereo (the latter of which incorporated a cassette tape player as standard). Yet despite being built on a (corrosion-resistant) steel monocoque chassis, strategically placed aluminum panels (for the doors and trunk lid) kept its weight under 1,200 kg; combined with its powerhouse I6, the Wolfhound could reach 60 mph from a standstill in under six seconds and top out at over 160 mph. Most amazingly of all, the Wolfhound had a base price of just $28,000 in 1984, which kept it under the $30k luxury tax threshold.

11 Likes

Simple question about the racing rules: Is there any rules or limitations about tyre types? 'Cause a rallycross series with road tyres really does sit odd to me, but the 4:30 limit on all-terrain tyres is kinda tought to get

From your friends at Van Zandt

All-New for 1975! The third generation of the acclaimed Van Zandt Brazos

Successor to the best-selling truck in America for over 20 years, your new Brazos is more powerful than ever, hauls more than ever, and is safer and more reliant than ever. You will see why the Brazos is the best truck - ever! With more than 14,000,000 sold to date, it has to be. It’s the truck that won’t rest! - Ever!

The 1975 Van Zandt Conestoga

Never outdone, never outclassed, never outperformed. When the job needs doing, you’ve always been there. The Conestoga is built on the new best-ever Brazos truck platform. Like you, it just gets it done. No questions asked. No questions necessary. The Van Zandt Conestoga. Always working for you.

Get out. Far out! The 1975 Brazos Ranch Wagon

For the idyll sophisticate who is anything but idle, the Brazos Ranch Wagon is a no-brainer. Long work weeks can’t leave you too tired for weekend play. And when you’re not hauling your entire workshed around town, it’s the entire household to and fro. It’s not just the Brazos. It’s the Brazos Ranch Wagon. You’re covered!

-~-~-~-~-

With Van Zandt’s early foray into the new market of Letara, the company put forward the pride of its utility division. The Brazos was a Van Zandt original dating back to 1946. But the 1952 model had been so wildly successful, so reliable, so cheap to own, so ubiquitous, that it took almost 20 years to finalize any more than repeated facelifts. With the 1975 Brazos, Van Zandt was content that they could finally outdo themselves. Meanwhile, Letarans were missing out on even that old spectacular workhorse. The new series including the Brazos, Conestoga, and Ranch Wagon variants became the debut of the brand in Letara. It was their best foot forward into what they hoped was a ripe customer base.

-~-~-~-~-

Insistent on a response to the Government of Letara’s request for bids on a fleet of new highway patrol interceptor, Van Zandt Letara executives have put forward their package. It’s not the ubiquitous blue truck Letarans know and love. Instead, they brought out an example of the ‘Mayflower’ brand’s ‘Emissar Super Sport’. Replacing its V6 with an even more powerful, and not-mainline for Van Zandt, V8, they created the
Van Zandt Intender.

We are pleased to present our product for consideration:

12 Likes

HLL tires are your friend. It’s definitely possible to go sub 4:30 with them

Nope, the tire choice is free - the question is, what compromise can you live with?

FWIW: modern rallycross runs on basically semi-slicks. But this is not modern, and not exactly rallycross. More of a mixed-surface enduro event.

2 Likes
Canadian Motors Press Release

Press Release On Current Conditions - October 1973

Canadian Motors has long since prided itself on being the forerunner of Canadian automotive history since 1906, but for the first time since WWII… we have to express concern about the looming stock market crash and oil prices being through the roof, which is making it increasingly unviable to ship our cars overseas to Letara.

With these factors in mind, we at Canadian Motors have made the unprecedented decision to halt the planned export of the Lapin SC, which has been pushed back to until approximately June 1975/1976, or until the stock markets have stabilized (whichever comes first).
Rising fuel costs have made it currently unviable for us to ship the car as we have hoped to do for this year, but we also plan on retooling our factories to improve the quality of our products, which we estimate will take two years at the most to do.
We apologize in advance to the Letaran government, but we have no choice but to conserve money and be conscious in how we’re spending capital as it is predicted we will also lose a consider amount of money in the stock market crash.

We strongly urge any Letaran official that has been in contact with the company to understand the magnitude of the situation and understand we are trying to manage costs and weather the impending storm, but for now… our future is uncertain.

Canadian Motors
A company for all.

1 Canadian Motors Circle,
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
+1 519-XXX-XXXX

5 Likes

Cake, is downforce measured in the final screen under test track, or by holding your mouse over the downforce tab as close to the right as you can? I currently get 2 on the test track tab, but 19 on the downforce tab