Lukerules117s land barge thread with the stupidly long title

I’m getting my license in a few months so I thought it would be a good idea to start looking into what kind car I’d want to get and after doing a bit of research a 6th generation Cadilac Deville seemed like pretty much exactly what I wanted and I’ve heard that they aren’t too unreliable as long as they dont have the northstar or V8-6-4 engines(6th gen doesn’t have either as an option), I’m aware that maintenance will still be expensive but I would just like to know your guys’ opinion on this.

1 Like

My mom had an Eldorado from the same era far a while, but only because my dad got it dirt cheap from a friend. I don’t remember anything particularly good about it, either in terms of quality or driving experience. Wasn’t even that comfortable. Nor was it old or big enough to be ironically cool like a genuine 70’s land yacht. If you’re dead set on a Yank Tank I’d suggest something on the Ford Panther platform, like a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Relatively reliable, cheap parts everywhere, easy to work on, vast internet resources, etc…

That’s also what I was considering.

Yeah well the 6th gens have the equally shitty HT V8. I you go Cadillac you’ll be better off with a late model Brougham with the Oldsmobile and Chevrolet V8s.

2 Likes

You’re talking about this thing?

I can say stay away without even researching the car :stuck_out_tongue:
That was a bad… bad era.

2 Likes

Either get a Brougham or Buick instead.

Thanks for trying to talk some sense into me, I was skeptical about getting a Cadilac but because of you guys I’d decided that I’ll probably get a grand marquis or Crown Vic I’d have too hard of a time finding a brougham for sale, I was only really even considering the DeVille I heard the early 90’s models weren’t too bad and because because they are pretty easy to find for sale and I hadn’t heard anything bad about the HT engines at least at the time.

Crown vic mk8 then save your money for a wrecked aussie ford falcon 5.4 with a zf 6sp and if you get a somewhat complete car you also have the rear IRS from the falcon.

Umm, I understand the part about getting a crown vic, but why would I get a wrecked aussie falcon?

transplant my friend. 260Kw a 6 speed auto and IRS take that crown vic and make it how ford US should have :imp:

In other words, he’s suggesting you turn a good cheap beater into a money-sucking project car nightmare. :confused:

1 Like

Don’t buy it.

It is bad handling and looks like a pimpmobile/grannymobile. A good alternative would be an early Lexus LS400 or Merc W124 300E.

I honestly love the look of it and I’m not too concerned about handling, it’s not a sports car and im not going to be driving it fast, it can probably handle just fine for driving around the town.

transplant my friend. 260Kw a 6 speed auto and IRS take that crown vic and make it how ford US should have

And that’s what I thought you meant… First off I doubt I could afford to have that done, and honestly I’m fine with a somewhat low power engine, a solid rear axle, and only 5 gears.

In other words, he’s suggesting you turn a good cheap beater into a money-sucking project car nightmare.

And if I wanted a money sucking nightmare there are plenty of other cars I would rather get than a crown vic :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah, but the Lexus and Merc are legendarily reliable and offer similar or better comfort.

And the Crown Vic is bread and butter. Honestly, it’s the Kia Spectra of large cars.

1 Like

Im not too sure about getting a Mercedes because I know they can easily turn into money pits(that said older ones are known for being reliable and I wouldn’t mind it if it worked) in addition to not being that common(in the us at least) however an old lexus LS400 I WILL consider, it seems like a decent option and they are common enough. And what do you mean its bread and butter? it that a good thing?

If you want some handling and extra power from your panther body but don’t want the pain of owning a ex cop p71 crown Vic look for a mercury marauder, made from 2003-2004 it has the 300hp dohc 4.6 and some beefier away bars and suspension components from the police interceptor package. They also come in only black and look mean as hell.

Or if that’s too much money consider a GM B-body they stopped production in 1996 but the 1994-1996 had the option of the LT1 5.7 Chevy small block and the only issue to watch for is rust around the rear wheel wells and rear frame members. The best of the lot were the 1996 Buick Roadmaster with the tow package, that included additional cooling for the oil and trans along with a HD radiator all sourced from the Caprice police cars, but the big bonus was the tow package includes a positrac diff and a slightly higher gear ratio for extra performance. It was also the nicest interior and better build quality than the Chevys.

Ehh I’m not really looking for a sporty car, I mostly just want a big somewhat luxurious car.

The B body Roadmaster would definitely fill that role, the lt1 engine is big and powerful yes but without the tow package it has a ridiculously tall gearing of like 2.73:1 so the engine is always kept at low revs even on highway cruising and the extra low end torque of the lt1 over the crown Vic’s 4.6 means it’s a smoother and quieter ride with less shifts for passing and merging, the b bodies are massive cars, 18 feet long and massing 2.5 tons but because of that gearing and engine they still get rated at 25mpg highway and ride like big comfy boats. The Crown Vic’s are nice cars but if I were shopping for a full-size comfortable car I’d definitely keep a B body on the list.

I’ll try to keep them in mind, but there are quite a few B body cars,

You said you wanted a luxurious car, so “bread and butter” is not that good in your case.

And the Lexus is reliable, plus it’s really quiet (AFAIK it was the quietest car when it was new) and contemporary reviewers placed it above US cars and among the German competitors (Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7-Series). Also, if something goes wrong, repair costs are closer to the US cara than German ones.