MALVA Automobil

Malva Salix 1,5i (1984-1994)

Also in 1984 Malva premiered a new small car, The Salix, available with 3 or 5 doors in a practicle hatch back body, the Salix is a ideal car for the small family. The engine was supposed to be a transverse muonted 1.4 litre Inline 4. but a very economical opurtunity arise to buy newly developed engines from Otari Motor company in Archana, hence the Salix is equipped with a 1.5 litre boxer 4, still driving the front wheels through 5 speed gearbox.

Malmö Automobil och Lastvagns Aktiebolag

5 Likes

I think the 1900 looks a bit too modern and rounded for the late 70s and early 80s; in real life it was around the start of the 90s when chrome trim almost died out, and around the start of the 2000s when it began making a return.

Malva Betula 2.2i (1993-2002)

In the 199os we saw the return of a more curvy car design and Malva was’nt late to follow with the new car introduced in 1993.

Malmö Automobil och Lastvagns Aktiebolag

5 Likes

Th '93 Betula is built on an F-segment (full-size luxury) body set (specifically, the '94 Lancer) - with a 2.98m wheelbase, it’s an unusually large body for a transverse-engined, FWD passenger car. Then again, it’s not a luxury/premium car, but a mass-market one - and the large body gives plenty of room.

I’ve also noticed that the '84 Betula is also built on an oversized body set - but not to the same extent as its successor. However, it seems that you forgot to match the wing mirror color on the estate to the rest of the bodywork.

Umm, no it isn’t

Thanks for the correction - the wheelbase may be unusual, but the width is not. A six-speed manual gearbox may be overkill for a car of that era and size with only 124 horsepower, though.

I am more surprised by the 2 seater layout in a sedan/wagon, but I presume it is a mistake.

Then again, before the Ellsbury update, the convertible versions of some Lancer body sets could not accommodate a rear seat at all. However, if the intent was to make a panel van version, two seats will be enough.

The End

In 2001, Malva Automobil filed for bankruptcy, all assets and tooling was sold and shipped to China.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the new owners just scrap the tooling after buying it?

Do I sense some salt since OB might have screwed something up? :rofl:

No, thats fine, I make lots of mistakes :wink:, this is just the result of the update.

Maybe, but I was actually thinking of when Rover sold off everything to Chinese brand Roewe in 2003.

Roewe-750

1 Like

Had MG Rover been completely liquidated instead of being sold off to (and resurrected by) the Chinese, its lineage would have ended right there and then - MALVA would have suffered a similar fate had its tooling and assets not been scooped up by a Chinese company!

In hindsight, though, the collapse of MALVA is slightly reminiscent of SAAB’s downfall - except MALVA wasn’t absorbed (and neglected) by a larger company. Perhaps with the Ellsbury update, we may see MALVA rise again - most likely as a sandbox company.