Material Thickness

Will we be able to choose Material thickness of the car thus effecting weight. Have the material thick or thin like a VW bug.

Are you trying to make a tank?

By thick I mean like the older cars, how you cold hit something with little to no demage.

Yeah I know, was joking. Old Volvo’s had 5mm thick steelplated bodies.

this makes me wonder how thick the panels on the one and only Trabant was… gut feeling says that a 6 year old without a single bone in his arm could punch his way though in seconds

It wasnt made of steel. It was made of glassfiber similar thing, if im correct

Quick research has taught me that it’s called Duroplast.
Duroplast is a composite thermosetting plastic, a close relative of formica and bakelite. It is a resin plastic reinforced with fibers (either cotton or wool) making it a fiber-reinforced plastic similar to fiberglass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duroplast

look at japanese cars, older Civics and 1gen Subaru Impreza, they’re made out of paper thin steel

[quote=“WizzyThaMan”]
Duroplast is a composite thermosetting plastic, a close relative of formica and bakelite.[/quote]

I’m not sure if it is a urban legend or not but I have heard stories from 50s or 60s about horses eating Trabant panels. :smiley:

LOL, Haven’t heard about that! But, when made of cotton/wool, maybe becomes tasty for the horses? I dont know!

[quote=“WizzyThaMan”]It wasnt made of steel. It was made of glassfiber similar thing, if im correct

Duroplast is a composite thermosetting plastic, a close relative of formica and bakelite. It is a resin plastic reinforced with fibers (either cotton or wool) making it a fiber-reinforced plastic similar to fiberglass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duroplast[/quote]

I’m aware… someone in the area is driving around a green one from time to time, personally i’d love to own one… still seems like it’s about as crash resistant as moist toilet paper… would still love to own one and do an engine swap… track beast in the making :stuck_out_tongue:

But to get back into the topic (sorry about the OT earlier).

I think material thickness is important because it’s true that it has been used in various ways in the past to cut the costs or to make the car more safe or to last longer…

It would also be a nice design choise between safety, costs, how long it will last until it rust away and stuff like that.

So thick material or very very thin material = high costs
Thin material = light but not safe and if not aluminium or “plastic” will rust and break more easily
Thick material = heavy, safe, easy to fix (if we have something regarding fixing/servicing with the body)

Could be an interesting choise for the platform also.

I agree