Microsoft Surface RT

I’m thinking of upgrading from my Acer Aspire One D255E (a small, 10.9" laptop from 3 years ago) to the Microsoft Surface RT. My problem is, I’ve read it can only run Windows store apps, and I wanted to know if Automation will be on the Windows Store? Or if I can run it at all? I would check Game Debate, but they don’t show the Tegra 3 from NVIDIA listed as a CPU. The list of specs on it can be found here.

If we will ever be on the Windows Store, it would be in the far far future. We don’t even officially support Win 8.

Problem you got with Windows RT is it’s running on the Tegra 3 as you say, which is a different architecture. You still get traditional Windows APIs, and I know there was a hack to allow normal applications to at least try to run. However, the odds are firmly in favour of it not working. Stuff on the Windows Store is often made at a higher level in something like C# so it can be supported across multiple Microsoft platforms.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it might work with one of the hacks for it, but not officially, as Killrob says.

Thanks guys. I know you don’t support Windows 8, but in every version of Windows there’s the compatibility mode for programs, which usually fixes the issue. I noticed it was different and I’ve read about the ARMv7 and how there’s a hack to use 3rd party apps with the RT, but I was hoping there was an easier way to go about it. I’ll most likely get that one now, and upgrade to a full 8.1 tablet when this pc has to go.

Windows RT is a completely different architecture. It is not x86 instruction set. No compatibility layer will make Automation run on Windows RT.

I would have to look into it, but I’m not certain automation could run on Windows RT unless the engine was almost completely rewritten, and we simply do not have the resources for that.

What about these specs? I’m trying to get a tablet PC or tablet in general, but while still keeping Automation. This is the same brand as my personal pc, but 1" bigger and (seemingly) a whole lot better.

Specs
[ul]AMD APU A4-1250 Dual Core @ 1.0 GHz
4 GB DDR3L RAM
AMD Radeon HD 8210 on 1280 x 720 (that’s what I play on)[/ul]

[quote=“zeussy”]Windows RT is a completely different architecture. It is not x86 instruction set. No compatibility layer will make Automation run on Windows RT.

I would have to look into it, but I’m not certain automation could run on Windows RT unless the engine was almost completely rewritten, and we simply do not have the resources for that.[/quote]

What I meant was running Windows 8(.1) (Not RT) and running Automation in compatibility mode for Windows 7. My friend runs the demo version of Automation just fine on Windows 8.1.

Windows 8 or 8.1 should be fine. I do have a second HDD to boot into 8 onto for testing. Just we don’t use it day in, day out. As it’s multi-monitor support with the gestures crap is horrid.

Those spec’s should do for playing Automation. With the settings turned down.

[quote=“zeussy”]Windows 8 or 8.1 should be fine. I do have a second HDD to boot into 8 onto for testing. Just we don’t use it day in, day out. As it’s multi-monitor support with the gestures crap is horrid.

Those spec’s should do for playing Automation. With the settings turned down.[/quote]

That’s good to know, while not so good (I really liked the Surface), but at nearly $30 cheaper, I’ll settle for the full functionality while keeping my favorite brand and game. :slight_smile: