Mille Monti 1953 [DESIGN VOTING]

One thing i think about with techpool is that it is a measure of what the level of tech the company can make if they use all of their R&D. It’s not a direct representation of what they actively put in their cars or is expected for a certain era. It also allows them to make things cheaper because they aren’t just researching the tech at the same year the game is. +5 (or 5 years out) is decent for a challenge with a flat rate for tp across the board. If you do lower it, which doesn’t make sense in my mind and will make the budgets much harder to reach, Sportscar should be higher than Touring because that’s your split between purpose built race cars and more normal road cars converted for the race.

Would you accept ‘fake roadsters’ - coupe cars with the roof visually removed?

And is there a limit on negative quality?

Overuse of negative quality (across the entire car, or in a specific area) would be frowned upon, although more moderate use of negative quality would be acceptable.

In addition, I’m also proposing the inclusion of an additional class sandwiched between the 1300cc and 2000cc classes - this one would have a capacity limit of 1600cc, and apply to both the sports and touring categories. It would fill the sizable gap from 1300cc to 2000cc.

And shouldn’t there be a naming scheme for this challenge as well? I’m proposing “MM53 - (your forum username)” as the required model and family name.

In the meantime, I cloned my test mule and its engine, to see if a smaller, lighter 2000cc version could be viable - and it is, although this time it sits on the $18k budget cap. It’s not much slower than the original, though.

1 Like

I would definitely submit something for the 1600 class, so I support its inclusion if possible. (Edit: I’m guessing it was omitted because the real Mille Miglia did not have a class between 1.3 and 2.0, so I’d accept it being left out. But I’m still tempted to submit a 1500cc car for lore reasons…)

Do I understand correctly that tech pool is fixed to the numbers given, but we are free to use whatever quality sliders we like (within reason)?

The markets tab has a price that the car should be sold for which is changeable, should this be the same as the approximate cost?

I’m not sure if it would be a good idea to set your fixed price to match your car’s approximate cost - the current rules don’t actually require it anyway (yet). The Group A Racing Challenge, however, did require us to do so.

exactly my point, they don’t specify any price to hit. So in theory you can set it to whatever you feel like right now which will affect your market score

Why are mod bodies not allowed? Could the rule be removed?

2 Likes

I second coupe cars having their roof removed visually only - in-game the stats differ quite a bit, with soft-top convertibles usually weighing 200-300kg more and costing 300-600 AMU more. Not sure how it was back then, but pretty sure dedicated roadsters don’t have any moving roof parts at all.

2 Likes

Sure, no problem, chop it off!

No limit, but it will probably hurt reliability.

No, no 1600cc class as there was none in reality, sorry!

Naming scheme will be added, thanks for the hint, an oversight on my end!

Correct!

Very good point. I forgot that this is another variable. I will require the price to be set at the maximum budget for the category and engine capacity. This means that once you have decided for a class, you just need to set the price once.

Because there’s quite a bit of overpowered tiny frontal area bodies and I don’t want to deal with those.

That’s odd, the aero calculations are fixed now so modders can’t actually adjust that data to my knowledge

1 Like

Frontal area is still determined by the car dimensions. Single seater and tiny bodies have a huge advantage. Plus I would need to check the whole workshop if I am missing some body which might be problematic. Is it such a big problem to stick to vanilla?

Rule Update 2

• added the forgotten “road tires only” rule to the challenge description
  • added setting the budget as sales price in the market tab (to do: check if the demographics scores are actually achievable with these prices)
  • added naming scheme

Spreadsheet will be updated accordingly soon.

Please let me know if you find something potentially braking the challenge completely. Some cheesing is always possible in my challenges, I just don’t want something completely broken (for example the forgotten sales price in the market tab would have been catastrophic :smiley: ).

Thanks for the support so far! I have become a bit rusty with regards to challenge regulations.

3 Likes

How about a ban on open wheeler/meme bodies instead of a full ban?

7 Likes

A blacklist of some sort. Probably wouldn’t be too long, but one would need to check every possibility, along with either banning the usage of mods released/updated past a certain point, or constantly moderating it. I think for the time being, banning all mod bodies is for the best.

The game prompts you now to download any mods you have missing when you import the car. However, if you’re worried about the frontal area issue, banning open wheel bodies should do what you’re wanting.

No, no 1600cc class as there was none in reality, sorry!

Now that you mention it, is there any reason the classes don’t match the real 1953 Mille Miglia? They were, as far as I can tell:
S+2.0
S2.0
S1.1
S750
T+2.0
T2.0
T1.3
T750

Interestingly, the most popular class was by far T1.3, with 119 entries, mostly the Fiat 1100. The Fiat 500 C was also an extremely common sight, which may not be a huge surprise. The lone Chrysler Saratoga and two Jaguar Mk VIIs were the only entries in T+2.0.

Hopefully I’m not stepping on any toes here, but I also wanted to share additional inspiration, especially for the touring category and other less conventional designs:

Some cars entered in 1953 Mille Miglia (not all photos from 1953)

Fiat 500 C (T750)

Renault 4CV (T750)

Fiat 1100 (T1.3)

Alfa Romeo 1900 TI Berlina (T2.0)
1900 TI Berlina

Chrysler Saratoga (T+2.0)

Jaguar Mk VII (T+2.0)
Jaguar Mk VII

Panhard Dyna X86 Berlinetta Allemano (S750)

Gordini T8 (S1.1)

Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint Conrero Supersonic by Ghia (S2.0)

Lancia Aurelia B20 (S+2.0)

4 Likes

I know, still I’d need to wade through the workshop now and see which body unlocks when and if it is OP. I went through what I have installed and things were looking ok except for a few open wheel bodies. I will allow mod bodies if it is such a big deal, but I will not ban them one by one, but rather tell you to use common sense. No open wheelers, no meme bodies, please ask when in doubt.

Ah yeah, the difference in 750 cc and 850 cc came from lore reasons (I built 850cc in my let’s play and said it was a class at the Mille Monti :smiley: ) and then I also made the same classes available both in Touring and Sports for the sake of simplicity. But I don’t want to introduce another (1.6) class, 10 are enough.

5 Likes

I took some time to create another <=2000cc test mule, this one powered by a rear-mounted 1600cc OHV flat-four developing 60bhp, in a car weighing 655kg (a real flyweight!) and based on the 2.3m wheelbase Slantnose body set (the 2.1m wheelbase version I originally chose was too small, and too light to boot). Not the fastest thing, but one of the nimblest - it may be right on the class budget cap, but could turn out to be a giant-killer if I tune it right. Also, with 20 comfort, >60 drivability, and 70 trim reliability, it incurred no time penalties whatsoever when I inputted its stats into the newly revised spreadsheet.

After further revisions, it now has a ducktail, but one that’s made out of a body molding fixture and not an actual aero fixture (i.e., a wing/lip/spoiler). If all goes well, this could be the entry I end up submitting.

1 Like

Rules Finalized

Alright, thank you for your feedback! I think there are no more major or challenge-breaking issues, so I close the rules finalization stage. I will now get everything set up, the announcement video is basically done, and I will open the challenge as soon as my YouTube channel hits 5000 subscribers. Only 86 left to go, this should be possible within a week or so! :slight_smile:

2 Likes