More Engine Designer Love?

First off this is not a complaint thread, nor is it a “when will X feature be released”, I am just curious as to the general timeline of things at the moment. From what I observed is you gave us just enough features in the engine designer to keep us busy while the car designer was being worked on. Now that the designer is reasonably well established, will you be looping back around to the engine designer to add in v6’s or supercharging options, or pushing onto the next stage with the tycoon mode?

While I see the need to release new content to keep us happy, which is always welcome, I am slightly confused as to why you wouldn’t make the engine designer more complete before moving onto the next stage of development. To me it would make sense to get the engine designer the ability to do I4, I5, V6, V8, V10, V12 and supercharging options first, then move onto the car designer.

I suppose its really a trade off, if we take the time put into the car designer we might have more engine options but no cars. Spend some time in the car section and engine choices become more limited. I am in no way bashing you guys, because as I mentioned before I have spent countless hours trying to make that perfect engine I think of. I just want to pick your brains a bit and find out what the development flow looks like right now.

Thanks!

Basically, if you would ahve read other topics, you would know that they are continuing into the Tycoon mode after Multiplayer and Steam release. There is also a video by Killrob explaining all this and their plans for the near future.
To give you a short and valid answer, the devs are working in a way where they get most main mechanics fit into the game, so a working engine designer, car designer and tycoon part, and then move back to expand the content. See it like building a house. You are first building a foundation before you build the rest of the house.

Yup, that’s a perfectly valid question, it’s pretty much as Wizzy says.

We want to push ahead to having at least a basic version of every aspect of the game, that way we can have a playable version of the basically “feature complete” game where you can can design a car, start producing it, selling it etc.
And then from there we can add more engines and such :slight_smile:

The other reason is we like to do the harder things first, as they have the potential to require changes to the rest of the game too. The Tycoon game is hard and complex to design and impliment, but engines are a known process now and just take time and effort.

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]

The other reason is we like to do the harder things first, as they have the potential to require changes to the rest of the game too. The Tycoon game is hard and complex to design and impliment, but engines are a known process now and just take time and effort.[/quote]
I was wondering about V12 engines. Since V8’s are two L4 together, why haven’t you use the exact same process for a V12? All you had to do was use L6 and V8 assets.

Its a bit more than just that…
Applying that logic - every kind of engine would be easy. I3 adapted out of I6s, I2 adapted out of I4s, I5 done by welding an I2 and I3 together etc. etc. B4/B6 by taking two I2/I3 and doing some fiddling.

However its harder than that, fiddling around with the piping, making the new blocks, heads (which can be reusable i think - aswell as some carburettors) and manifolds. That alone can easily take several weeks to months.

I personally look more forward to the small engines as the I3 (and maybe I2) and B4

Now I would have thought you’d be looking forward to V6 so you could try recreate a certain Mr Busso’s engine :slight_smile:

:stuck_out_tongue: Thats a different thing… The V6 sounds ingame should then also sound like a Busso V6 :wink:

But on the tycoon side I would rather like to tinker around with small and powerful engines - like a 2L I3 :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“pyrlix”]:stuck_out_tongue: Thats a different thing… The V6 sounds ingame should then also sound like a Busso V6 :wink:

But on the tycoon side I would rather like to tinker around with small and powerful engines - like a 2L I3 :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

I too was thinking of something like that earlier tonight while cooking. For tycoon mode it might be fun to play with something like a turbo charged 2 cylinder in a little Smart Car sized thing and see if it’s viable. So I hope we get small engines to play with too some day.

The Alfa Mito has a model with an 875cc 2 cylinder turbo charged engine. It generates about 85hp and 145n
I was lent one as a courtesy car, it was very nippy but didn’t half sound weird.
Reminded me of a sewing machine at full speed.

I like the I4 engine very much. Makes almost everything possible but is boring
Pyrlix idea is nice having a big I3 or I2 would be a crazy fun for a small performance car

[quote=“pyrlix”]Its a bit more than just that…
Applying that logic - every kind of engine would be easy. I3 adapted out of I6s, I2 adapted out of I4s, I5 done by welding an I2 and I3 together etc. etc. B4/B6 by taking two I2/I3 and doing some fiddling.

However its harder than that, fiddling around with the piping, making the new blocks, heads (which can be reusable i think - aswell as some carburettors) and manifolds. That alone can easily take several weeks to months.

I personally look more forward to the small engines as the I3 (and maybe I2) and B4[/quote]

l3 adapted out of l6
No, you would have do redo the covers. l6 to v12 you don’t. You can use the l6 headers on the v12.