MrComputah's city can, aka Hyundai i10!

Excellent choice on the i10, lovely lovely little car.

2 Likes

Bet that’s gonna be a buzz to drive. Happy motoring :smiley:

2 Likes

I approve.

It even looks like the same shade of red as my Elantra. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for not getting it in Resale Value Silver Metallic, I appreciate that.

3 Likes

So when is Hyundai gonna post the next CSR round?

4 Likes

Give em 24 hours, otherwise the host rights go to Peugeot instead :smirk:

8 Likes

And the subcompact saga begins.

The little one is finally home. I’ve had the pleasure to do some twenty kilometres on my way home on it, with city driving and highway on the menu.

It was pretty good! Even if the power steering makes the steering a bit light, it does have some feedback. The five speed manual transmission ads to the fun and to top it all off, the sensation of driving a petrol car after only driving a diesel minivan for a year and a half was something else. The power being on top and the engine reaching beyond 6000 rpms…oh my, oh my. Also my first naturally aspirated engine, and now I see why people value their linearity and power delivery.

Fitting where I’d never fit with the old Touran for parking was also a welcome feature. Of course the car has cruise control and all the gadgets to keep me safe and sound in long trips.

I think I’m falling in love with subcompacts more than I already had.

22 Likes

#curvesadjustmentandshit (although the light source isn’t placed very well :cry: taken with the EOS 2000D at 35mm, f8 and some shutter speed I don’t remember)

18 Likes

I always hated the i10 because I’ve driven my moms i10 on occasion, but after looking at yours in a nice paint scheme and with a better specd interior I must admit that actually I still hate them. But it is interesting to hear how other people perceive its driving dynamics. I for one found the shifter and steering way too light and city caresque, and that is coming from someone who owned a Renault Espace and Nissan Maxima. Both cars that are infinetely superior in every way to an i10.

Hi.

My my you’re a nice person. Is there really a need to just come in and shit on someone else’s new car? Especially since he’s thoroughly enjoying it?

14 Likes

Both of those cars are also in completely different classes

6 Likes

Weirdly enough, a city car often has light steering and shifting because it’s a city car. I shit you not. And who would’ve believed that a car twice the size with more than twice the power feels like a “superior” car. At least understand the purpose of the car.

Before you go around trying to big yourself up by being a hateful prick, at least realise what the hell you are saying.

15 Likes

Took me a moment before I realised what “curve sad just ment and shit” means :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

See, this is why hastags aren’t any good :joy:

3 Likes

Hey guys here’s an idea let’s stop feeding the troll and leave him to sulk on his own.

EDIT - Source:

16 Likes

So, back to the i10. How does it feel when you really pile it into the corners? I ask because other budget cars in the same class I’ve driven almost universally just scrubbed and nearly fell off the road. If the i10 doesn’t do that, you’re already doing well.

7 Likes

Well it really feels quite agile. I’ve shoved it into a couple of deserted roundabouts but no real serious cornering yet. I’ve had no issues so far though, and that’s on skinny eco tires.

4 Likes

Apparently an usb stick is enough to play my own music in the car’s sound system. Therefore I shall rename it the Synth-10 :musical_note:

11 Likes

City boi does touge

Starring the Synth 10

It’s a wonderful Sunday morning. You wake up quite late, all shops are closed and there’s nothing you can really do…or can you not? Most people are out for lunch in their relatives’ countryside places or at whatever restaurant is open today, so traffic is light…very light. I knew it was my chance to test the i10 for real.

Extra majestic from a hilltop, isn’t it?

I remembered a road from my childhood days, leading to my aunt’s countryside house where she would bake bread and whatnot. I never really explored this road past that however, so I decide to venture deeper into it, and the deeper I go, the more I climb, until I reach a hilltop and turn around. But before tackling the touge, it’s photo time.

On a clear day like this you can see Malaga and the sea.

I press the clutch and place the shift into first. Once I’m sure there’s no traffic, the i10 starts pulling me through this extremely twisty and tight course. I keep playing between 2nd and 3rd gear, the steering has good response and the three cylinder sounds like it could punch above its weight, but it still has only 67 horsepower. I feel it lacks a bit of grip from the thin eco tires, but nothing disasterously dangerous. Of course, its tendency is to understeer. It’s still a city car after all.

I reach the end of what, to me, is the end of the first segment; no more scary tight bendy slopes. We have something more similar to a professionally built mountain pass; I let a Citroen that was in front of me lose me before I get going again. Time for another shot.

I resume my run five minutes later. The now wider road, but still twisty, makes me go a bit more comfortable if still cautious; the i10 is answering nicer now with more grip, and the fact that it’s a naturally aspirated engine makes it extra responsive. Pair that with a manual 5 speed stick and you have a recipe for fun right there. I reach the bottom of the hill, and there’s a good two kilometers of fast section with few to no turns, so I decide to drop a gear and floor it taking advantage of the lack of traffic. For 67 horsepower, the i10 sure pulls. And pulls. My god, it’s getting too fast for me, I decide to lift off gently before the turn and brake a little bit. The i10 complies, it’s a loyal fella.

Veredict? Really fun to drive and surprisingly sporty for a city car. I think I’m falling in love with this lil’ box on wheels.

19 Likes

Nothing like driving tiny econoboxes faster than they’re designed to go. Reminds me of my old Tercel. Bit more power at around 93 hp, but the same principle is there.

2 Likes