Mufflers becoming sliders? thoughts on recent vids

Hi, just got a chance to catch up with recent updates. Glad to see XP is being dropped in favor of a game engine that will allow more advanced play.

Are mufflers going to become sliders and lose the ability to select individual styles? This game has really come along in the last 4+ years.

Yes, the two muffler choices really aren’t that interesting for gameplay, we rather have a slider that goes from free-flowing and loud on top and restricting and muffled on the bottom. Visually that will still be represented by different mufflers, but this frees space for more interesting design choices, like the header tuning slider.

Oh!, Why do we have to get rid of the mufflers and the octane list?!?!.

You could condensate the interface,

… not a beauty but we keep those familiar elements that even allow to handle (just a bit) the final eco, engine weight, costs, and horsepower output values.

I understand that from an engineer/technical point of view the new options could be more interesting, but gameplay-wise, what the changes are going to add or improve?.
(just playing the devil’s advocate somehow)

Definitely not going to set out and make the UI more busy than it already is.

Our goal is to have the most interesting choices and compromises posed to the player. On the Exhaust Tab the new Header Slider will add interesting engine tuning effects (watch engine designer revamp discussion video for that), and on the fuel system tab getting rid of a pretty boring fuel type choice which isn’t even a design choice. Instead we’re going to have more meaningful intake choices and the intake manifold slider. All that has been discussed in the latest few videos I made.

The new way the intake and exhaust manifolds will work, TOTALLY freaking perfect. Beeing able to “tune” the manifolds like som strange trombone, very nice.

[quote=“Razyx”]Oh!, Why do we have to get rid of the mufflers and the octane list?!?!.

You could condensate the interface,
… not a beauty but we keep those familiar elements that even allow to handle (just a bit) the final eco, engine weight, costs, and horsepower output values.

I understand that from an engineer/technical point of view the new options could be more interesting, but gameplay-wise, what the changes are going to add or improve?.
(just playing the devil’s advocate somehow)[/quote]

Think that a muffler slider will allow to fine tune the “choking” of the exhaust to increase the specialization of the engine (more economy or pore power). I think it can help at the end… for example a baffled muffler can be bigger or smaller, something that we can’t control now but with a slider maybe we can have a bit of control on it.

I understand it.

That’s enough for me :slight_smile:, and as I’m sure you know more about this stuff than me no problem.

Hmm maybe I missed some.

I might discuss about this design choice, determines some things that ‘does not concern’ the engine itself (target market, related to the fuel requierements), I see it like a player choice but if you have thought in a different way to manage it…

As I’ve written, you know more about this stuff than me so be it :slight_smile:

I didn’t watch the LDU in question, not much time for videos at work, but the intake will be a slider as well? Will this allow for primary and secondary runners too? Will we be able to have a variable intake manifold and have it set up like the VVL style with dual profiles?

Here everything about the new intake effects: youtu.be/JAZP2Rlq43c?t=21m8s

I am properly rebuffed, sorry killrob. Will watch videos before asking.

[quote=“Razyx”]Oh!, Why do we have to get rid of the mufflers and the** octane list**?!?!.

[/quote]

Wait wait wait
I need clarification: Is choosing our fuel octane removed? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Fuel octane choice is moved to the engine testing page. Watch the in-depth videos for more details on that.

Finally watched it!!! You guys are awesome, I’m gonna be Helmholtzing the shit outta all my engines when that redesign comes out.