Muscle Car Crash Tests

Ahh im just going to find out the safety rating on my sprint thats a tad eye opening

2 Likes

Iā€™m okay so long as whatever hits me or whatever I hit is with the front of the car. Get hit in the side, Iā€™m screwed.

All this safety talk and Iā€™m driving a salvage title Mitsu (a rather new one mind you) with no airbags and until recently, no seat belts.

5 Likes

Looks like I can chalk up one more reason to ditch my Challenger (figuratively speaking).

Actually, the Torqueflite 8 automatic, which is really a license-built ZF 8HP70, is one of the things I really like about my Challenger. Matched up to the 6.4L Hemi, itā€™s really an awesome combo.

However, the build quality issues with this car unfortunately seems to hearken back to the 80s Mopar products Iā€™ve experienced as a kid, and the 90s GM cars I drove in my late teens to mid 20s. I felt my 2006 and 2011 Mustangs were far superior in build quality compared to this car.

As tantalizing it may sound to have a 6.4L Hemi in a Giulia-sized car (along with hopefully more acceptable crash-test results), I have no desire to buy another FCA product after only a year and a half of ownership of my first one.

Iā€™m also disappointed at seeing the results for the Mustang; after finally getting to drive a GT last month, I really felt it was the best of the three RWD V8 muscle/pony cars overall. It probably still wonā€™t stop me from buying one, though Iā€™m hoping Ford at least does some structural work on the platform by the time the 2018s enter productionā€¦

1 Like

Not flogging a dead horse here, but the charger and challenger are based on a mercedes benz chassis from the early 2000ā€™s, they have been updated over the years but itā€™s still a methuselah in the automotive world. The latest reports Iā€™ve seen point to fiat lending Chrysler and Dodge the Alfa Giulia platform to build the next charger/challenger on. It will remove some of the classic ā€œAmericanessā€ of the current big heavy wolly mammoth muscle car feel of them but will turn them into far better sports cars and likely shave 400-500 pounds off their curb weight as well as stiffening up the ride, improving safety, and most importantly improving economy.

2 Likes

Ford America please bring back the falcon please

More like bring back the Galaxie, Torino, Thunderbird, and a real 3rd Gen GT with a V8.

Did somebody say Galaxy?

yes they did!

Did somebody say Torino/Gran Torino?

1 Like

Do I spot a CSR Classics player?

Just saw the thread now as it got revived. That challenger is still the same challenger from 2008 which bases on DaimlerChrysler Chassis. Except from slight styling and engine changes the rest is the same. Its quite unfair to compare a brand new crashed Mustang (which looks horrible for 2016ā€¦ the Camaro did a better job) or a Camaro.

Well FCA just announced that the platform the charger and challenger are based on will continue until at least 2020, fiat has pushed back the chassis sharing or something. So those crash tests will continue to under perform for about 5 years or so.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand all of the above points. I just find it shocking that a company like FCA, given their currently shitty reputation (that seems to have lasted for decades), wouldnā€™t put any thought into giving this old platform a slight bit of reinforcement.

1 Like

yup. Used to play it a lot on my old smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4)

1 Like

Bring back the Falcon dammit Ford and sell to the states ffs im sure a 4 door supercharged or turbocharged sedan with better handling and power than a mustang for less dollars would sell grrr stupid boss people

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly why Ford wonā€™t do that, unfortunately. They donā€™t want anything competing with their ā€œpreciousā€ Mustang in their US lineup, which means we lose out on some otherwise certainly awesome cars. Itā€™s like Chevy crippling everything in their lineup because they donā€™t want stuff beating their Corvette, rather than pushing the Corvette further in order to allow cool cars people might actually want.

1 Like

Look at Porsche and their 911 vs. Cayman.
Put a genuine GT3RS (or a GT2) engine in the Cayman, and it would trash the 911.

2 Likes

Very true throughout history even. Take a look at the fox mustang and the fox tbird (in the late 80s early 90s). The tbird could have been so much faster, but then it would threaten the Mustang.

1 Like

Very true from all the American car companies through history. The only exception was probably unintended, and came from GM in the form of a turbocharged Buick, the Grand National. They probably figured thereā€™s no way a V6 family car could ever beat the Corvette, even with a fancy turbocharger, only to find out the fastest car of the era is a little black Buick.